Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
new owner introduction: 68 Overlander International in Europe

Hello,

my name is Tony and am the new owner of this fine 68 unit since May last year. I was looking for an unrestored unit and wanted to try the Corning windows this time. I have owned a 31ft 77 Sovereign for eleven years before, but I find them a little too large for Europe.

I have had this '68 professionally fitted with complete new running gear, brakes and hitch to conform to EU rules. The frame looks like new. The floor has no rot. The unit passed all the tests and is insured for road use since December last year.

Next job is to replace the gas system and appliances to EU standards and to pass that test. In the meantime I have been removing well-intended silicone and getting handy with the Sikaflex gun. The original window seals and the Corning windows are water tight. But I am in the process of sourcing replacement rubbers anyway.

My plan is to get to know the unit this year. Next year, to go for a long slow run along the coastline of France down to Spain and Portugal. Maybe I will come back. We'll see.

Happy Airstreaming,
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TH AIR Overlander 68 2016-03-18 16.09.12.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	261172   Click image for larger version

Name:	1968 Airstream tony hunt.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	261174  

tony hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St. Louis , Missouri
Hey Tony!

Welcome to the forums. Love the 68. I am actually looking at a 68 Overlander Intl. that is for sale. How do you like your 68?
wanabairstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:13 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabairstrm View Post
Hey Tony!

Welcome to the forums. Love the 68. I am actually looking at a 68 Overlander Intl. that is for sale. How do you like your 68?
Thanks, I am still getting to know the unit and have only done about 400 miles since having the running gear done. On some of the roads here, even this 26ft (closer to 27ft) is really long. Happily it is slightly narrower than the model i had before and that helps.

The '68 is the right decision for me. I was lucky with this unit; good skin, a perfect frame and solid floor. The axles, brakes, gas and appliances etc. all had to be changed to meet European law anyway.

I love the dreaded Corning windows which are very elegant and work well. I was really surprised how thin the glass is. I understand folk walk into them often when open.

Admittedly I always walk into the interior overhead bin flap-up doors. That is really painful. The later models had sliding tambour doors on all the bins which suited me better. Plus there are no catches to fall apart on a tambour solution.
The '68 under seat bin flaps need repairing because there is a plastic strip as hinge which has a short life span.
About every third time I pass between the living and sleeping quarters, i forget that the top carrying-bar of the folding screen is at my forehead height. I think it has to go, I have no need for that screen anyway.

This was not my first Airstream, I pretty much knew what I was getting into. I am taking my time, letting it fall into place. I think there are two kinds of Airstream realities. Both are very powerful.
There is the subjective idea of one, which serves movie sequences really well, the Airstream of dreams.
Then there is the actual reality of owning one. If you go for the real thing, I recommend to try to keep your expectations in check, expect the worst and you should have a good time together.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Doubs , France
Hellooo.

Maybe I'm the nearest registered of you.

I am in the east of France.
Near By Besançon.

Just 460 km of you.
Or 286 miles for the great majority of this forum.

Greeting nearly neighbor.
Landozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landozoor View Post
Hellooo.

Maybe I'm the nearest registered of you.

I am in the east of France.
Near By Besançon.

Just 460 km of you.
Or 286 miles for the great majority of this forum.

Greeting nearly neighbor.
Hi new near Neighbour!
I like the area around Besançon. I have passed through after visiting the Chapel of Nôtre Dame du Haut near Belfort.
Adieu.