Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Lakeland , Florida
My new obsession....

I am new at Airstreaming and new at posting....a little nervous about both. My 68 Overlander is a dream come true! Does anyone know where I can get an owner's manual for my new obsession? Thanks!
Overlander68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Overlander68 -- Welcome to the Forums!! The necessities of needing to take care of your obsession will get you past the posting jitters real quick. Now, talking in public? That drives me crazy!!

You may need to contact Airstream for manual availability. They only have models from the last 5 years online. See the following link for the info: http://www.airstream.com/product_lin.../faq.html#misc

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can contact Helen Davis for copies of manuals for Airstream products more than 5 years old.
Address is: PO Box 484, Sidney, OH 45365, phone 513-492-8885
Old 07-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Overlander68,
Welcome! Here is a link to the Airstream Store they don't currently list a reprinted manual for the 1968 model year, but I would email them about it. They apparently reprint a batch every now and again. These are a high quality reprint not a photo copy.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The VAC Archives has a copy of a 1966 Overlander's owners manual http://airstream.net/members/documen...s%20Manual.pdf
It might be of some help untill you can locate one for a 68......

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Lakeland , Florida
Manual....

Thank you all very much....this is wonderful!!!
I have been measuring and cleaning for the last two days and I am ready to decorate while I wait on a manual so I don't mess any thing up! I have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac....I didn't know this would be the the year airstream would happen! So I am told I need a Suburban to pull it with....on the look out for that too. I am so excited...I have wanted and airstream for ever! We wired it up yesterday to the house....so I will be camping in the back yard over the lilly garden, under the big oak tree until I have a proper tow vehicle.. Oh, I need and old timey awning too.....
Off to the antique and junk stores.....thank you again....Lori
Old 07-02-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You sound pumped! Airstream's FAQs lists your empty weight as 4170# and tongue weight as 435#. Maybe the manual will give a better idea of gross weight limit (GVWR) -- it's maybe 1000# higher. In any event the listed tongue weight is for the empty trailer base model without any ordered options installed. Adding weight distribution gear, LP in the tanks, and your personal gear onboard, the usual experience is that tongue weight is 12-15% of loaded weight. Truck scales can measure this directly, though there is a neat way to do this yourself with boards and a bathroom scale -- that diagram will also be in the manual. How much a tow vehicle should have behind it will rely on the TV's load capacity and your loaded tongue weight. Tow capacity is of lesser importance -- if the TV load capacity is up to the load I can guarantee your tow capacity numbers will say you're okay. These older 26' trailers are still in the weight zone for a carefully chosen 1/2-ton capacity TV -- but not all 1/2-tonners are created equal. Ask back if you have any ???s.

Be careful about using an adapter to plug into a house outlet. You can run the AC only if plugged into a 30A outlet -- same shape as the trailer's plug but using no adapter. A standard 15A circuit is not enough to start up the compressor without damaging it before long.

Gotta give these babies TLC -- and they'll pay us back down the road!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 07-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I should say that an electrician can wire a 30A circuit if you wish.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 07-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Lakeland , Florida
Thank you Bob for all that good information. An electritian friend of mine did set up a 30A circuit yesterday....so all should be okay. My Sport Trac is 1/2 ton, but a V6 not a V8 and I am told not quite long or heavy enough to be safe. I can't wait to see the how to weigh my airstream on the bathroom scale!!
I had fun today buying a vintage silver cake pan, coffee pot and old metal fan; carneval glass, quilts and china and pulling all the extra stuff out of my house to fill up my new obsession. I can't wait till I can actually pull it somewhere.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For a tow vehicle, you can always do what we did, and pick up a fairly late model full size, V8 powered van to tow it with, until the Sport Trac is paid off, and you can trade up.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Lakeland , Florida
The van is a good idea. I used to have a big conversion van and it did tow my horse trailer like it wasn't even back there....don't know why I haven't thought of that...guess my head is still in the clouds over my new toy!
Thanks!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Smile Welcome....

Yay for the 60s!!!

It's great that you actually have a trailer from the 60s that doesn't need work before taking it on the road. Many of us are still trying to get "up and rollin" because we bought "gently used" or "well loved" AS.

Just a thought - Don't get overly attached to the carnival glass or china; they have a tendency to break unless packed very carefully. Think plastic. Many manufacturers have recently come out with some great retro colored dinnerware. Like you, however, I am big into aluminum - canisters, measuring cups, tea kettle, etc.

Ain't it fun????????????????

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Lakeland , Florida
I am having a blast!! All my treasures came from gently to not so genltly used stores. I have always loved this stuff, so some I already have and the rest I was just glad to have an excuse to collect more.
I realize I am very fortunate to find one in this good shape! But, I fear my time will come that I become a mechanic. This is a great site and soooo glad I found it! Thanks for writing..... Lori