Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Chico , California
Are these structural or decorative?

Hi, does anyone know if these aluminum strips that run parallel along the ceiling in my '68 Overlander are structural or purely decorative? If it's not clear from the photo, they are a T shape in section.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1426783137.519821.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	234545  
simonavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I don't know about the older trailers, but they are definitely structural in my 2001 Safari. They are also where the center roof panel is attached to the side panels.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimnAvery View Post
Hi, does anyone know if these aluminum strips that run parallel along the ceiling in my '68 Overlander are structural or purely decorative? If it's not clear from the photo, they are a T shape in section.

Thanks!
I believe what you see is decorative. What is under it is somewhat structural. When I removed the inner skin of my Argosy, the main structural ribs go side to side. The front to back ribs are more for riveting the inside skin to as well as the trim you see.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimnAvery View Post

Thanks!
I don't think that's factory, it should look like the right side of your pic the whole way. At least that's how my '67 Overlander is (and how all of the pics of originals I've seen are).

See here:

1968 Overlander 26' - Vintage Airstream

Given that the rivets don't line up with how the originals were, it's most likely just decorative, though they probably hold up the wood paneling you see there.
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Chico , California
Thanks for all the input. You've given me the courage to remove them, as I want to remove the poorly installed veneer, and get back to a cleaner look.
simonavery is offline   Reply With Quote