Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

26 CR 353 , New York
Adapter for Fresh Water Inlet, 1968 Overlander.

Is there a standard part to interface these two hose ends?

The inlet for the airstream is ~ 1 5/8 inches OD. 0.1295" thread to thread.

the smaller hose is a normal 1" hose connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	242054  
mark.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
That is the fresh water tank inlet on your Airstream. It is not meant to be connected to your hose and pressurized, it is only a fill location. Use your hose to fill the tank only, standing there holding it. It will take about 30 to 40 gal.

The pressure city water inlet location is somewhere else on your rig, and will take a standard hose connection.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
This is the exact information I needed today as well. Gotta love airforums!

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

26 CR 353 , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
That is the fresh water tank inlet on your Airstream. It is not meant to be connected to your hose and pressurized, it is only a fill location. Use your hose to fill the tank only, standing there holding it. It will take about 30 to 40 gal.

The pressure city water inlet location is somewhere else on your rig, and will take a standard hose connection.

I see. However, in my case, I am drawing from a rainwater catch with barely any pressure. I need to fill the tank, so I can use the pump.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Auto parts stores sell a plastic pump device that's intended to siphon fuel (legally, I hope) from one tank to another. Get a clean one and use it to transfer your water. Hopefully your rainwater source can be positioned a little above the trailer's fresh tank.

I've seen posts where someone got a new windshield washer pump from same auto parts place. They hooked up 12 v. from the tongue jack line, attached appropriate hoses, and pumped water into their tank.

Do remember that the tank can't handle water hose pressures. Pour water in there from a bucket if you have to, but don't hook a water hose to it.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.s View Post
I see. However, in my case, I am drawing from a rainwater catch with barely any pressure. I need to fill the tank, so I can use the pump.
I think the AS side of your pipe problem is a 1 1//4" standard pipe thread. It may be 1 1/2" (been a long time since I owned one of that vintage).

You could get what is called a "Bell" fitting with the 1 1/4 female on one side and a 3/4 female on the other. Then on the 3/4 side screw in a 3/4 x hose thread adaptor. Both parts should be available at Home Depot, Lowe's or any full line hardware store or plumbing shop.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

26 CR 353 , New York
Quote:
I think the AS side of your pipe problem is a 1 1//4" standard pipe thread. It may be 1 1/2" (been a long time since I owned one of that vintage).

You could get what is called a "Bell" fitting with the 1 1/4 female on one side and a 3/4 female on the other. Then on the 3/4 side screw in a 3/4 x hose thread adaptor. Both parts should be available at Home Depot, Lowe's or any full line hardware store or plumbing shop.
Maybe something like this:

McMaster-Carr: Low-Pressure Aluminum Threaded Pipe Fitting

This would need another reducer to 3/4"
Old 07-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
So, you're not wanting to fill the tank all at once, but just connect it to a catchment system to fill the tank over time, is that correct?

As has been said, you certainly don't want to apply city water pressure to that fill tube, but rather just fill it by gravity. Your solution could be as simple as this:

About five bucks at Camping World.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

26 CR 353 , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnorts View Post
So, you're not wanting to fill the tank all at once, but just connect it to a catchment system to fill the tank over time, is that correct?

As has been said, you certainly don't want to apply city water pressure to that fill tube, but rather just fill it by gravity. Your solution could be as simple as this:

About five bucks at Camping World.
That is essentially what I am doing now. When the tank is empty I manually refill it. Totally works.

But, if I am able to mechanically connect the parts, the Airstream tank will automatically refill itself from the uphill rainwater tank. The pressure is minimal, I'm pretty sure it will work.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

26 CR 353 , New York
Quote:

Is this the connection for city water? The end freely rotates, but the threads look finer than a hose thread. I haven't opened it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4358.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	242182  
Old 07-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Is this the connection for city water? The end freely rotates, but the threads look finer than a hose thread. I haven't opened it yet.
It does look like a female hose attachment (and you said it freely rotates) with a plug in it, but the apparent interior location leaves me baffled. It should be outside so a hose could attach and any leaking would be outside, not inside.

The other thing that makes me wonder is the dome shaped device beyond it. Airstream and Argosy used a Watts water pressure regulator on virtually all of their units in that era, but the one I see in the photo just looks wrong. Maybe it is the photo angle or location, I am not sure.

Over the years previous owners may have modified the plumbing systems of course, and it is hard to tell sometimes what they did or why they did it. I think yours may have been modified.

Tags