Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
'68 Overlander ... Gutting

Well...I started gutting the overlander...with a mask on.

the carpet was breaking apart in my hand .
So... I guess the biggest part done.
I removed the goucho...(Nasty)
Removed beds (Nasty)
Removed all walls... (tricky)

Now trying to remove bathroom without destroying...(dont know what it is worth...its all plastic.)...Question...is this even worth trying to save or can I take a sawzall to it?

How do I remove the Toilet...I am not keeping it...It looks funny...it has two foot thingys on it for flushing.

Removed Stove
Removed Refer.

Removing bathroom is my only issue now.

Also...Leaking.

Leaking at the very front two side windows...how do I fix this?
Also leaking somewhere along the sides...floor rot behind the axels.

I figured I may need to take all the interior skin the panels out to get at the old wirig and insulation to redo. and I need to stop the leaks before doing a shell on floor replacement.

I think the only thing I am going to keep is the kitchen sink.
I also kept one of the big walls undamaged so I can use that as a template.

What are your thoughts.
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
To remove the toilet there are two nuts that hold the toilet to the tank adapter and they are accessable from the back of the toilet.

Sounds like you are at the start of a big adventure
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
The very first thing to do, if your trailer is not under a roof, out of the weather, is to find and re-seal all exterior leak points. If you search this forum, you'll find info on that- how to find leaks, the usual suspects, what sealant to use, etc. Without doing this first, you are peeing into a headwind. Good luck, and have fun!!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Be sure you have a plan for replacing any of the bathroom panels, vanity, sink, etc. BEFORE you saw up the original. Finding replacements is nearly impossible and, due to the curves in that area, fabricating new parts is a real pain. Some parts are fiberglass and some are ABS vacuum formed parts. All can be repaired with epoxy and glass cloth applied to the back sides. Epoxy appliance paint (almond color) works good for repainting. Takes a good week of warm weather to set up properly and you need to be careful not to use harsh cleaning materials, but it's easier than new gel-coat or powder coating. Just don't get in the "toss it" mode before you know what you're going to replace it with! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Monterey Bay , California
Alum,
I totally agree with all the other great advice you have been given. Keep everything that has an angle or curve to it. Patterns and guides to how it was done before your teardown are essential. As time passes you will forget how things actually were put together. It saves you from having to reinvent the wheel. Even if you won't be reusing some items. Wait until you rebuild those components before throwing anything away. You will see how valuable these things are as your journey continues. Good luck.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Not gonna use it

Well I have no use for the bathroom stuff... I am gutting the trailer out to make a mobile kitchen...so I wont need a bathroom. I have been very careful so far...I have not broken or chipped anything...The only thing I took of so far was the bathroom vanity. everything else is still in good shape. Yes you are correct...the tub part is fiberglass...but I wont need that...the bathroom sink or the toilet or tub I wont need.
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Sure wish I lived closer to you. Could use all those bathroom parts. Too far and bulky to ship. What a waste! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
No toilet...??? Believe health codes will require one and a sink - other than the kitchen area sink to wash your hands won't they...
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Bathroom

Hello-

I am new to the forums however I was wondering if you still have your fiberglass bathroom with your 1968 Overlander? I have just purchased a 1966 Overlander and the fiberglass around the toilet is damaged.
Bob J. Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob J. Mariano View Post
Hello-

I am new to the forums however I was wondering if you still have your fiberglass bathroom with your 1968 Overlander? I have just purchased a 1966 Overlander and the fiberglass around the toilet is damaged.

Hi Bob, Sorry the bathrooms on a 68 will not match your 66.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
BillB

1968 26' Overlander
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Tub/Shower Not Going Back In Right

I took the tub out of my '68 to replace the black water tank and bathroom floor. Everything is going back in nicely, except that the tub doesn't seem to square up with the sidewall anymore. When mounted, it pushes the bottom part of the wall where the pocket door resides forward, interfering with the operation of the door.

Actually, I can't even assemble the pocket door and two walls where it resides, because the tub is not squaring up. All rivet and screw holes line up pretty close, but I have to pull the tub away from the sidewall at the divider wall channel about two inches to get it to square up. There must be something I'm not seeing.

I have attached a picture of how the tub is supposed to go it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tub and Toilet.png
Views:	104
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	275472  
ythljdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #12

1968 26' Overlander
Folsom , Louisiana
Just bought a 1968 Overlander that we plan on converting to a Mobile Kitchen. Just curious on how the project it going.
smcii1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Miami , Florida
68 Overlander parts if you pay shipping

I bought my 68 Overlander on Halloween 2014, and it was a wreck inside, so I gutted it. But I kept any part that wasn't ruined, to re-use, or at least use as a template. Plan was to make it nice, but not restore to original.
The first year was spent on axles, frame, floor, windows, vents, polishing, etc...
Last year I tackled on new holding tank, plumbing, electrical, and beds for the adults.
Finally getting to dinette/kids beds, and kitchen cabinets. And it is looking very nice after lots of work.
Which means, I am about to toss all the stuff from when I gutted it. Window curtain extrusions, magazine rack, original green plastic bins, original water filter, all of the bathroom tub and sink and toilet housing/panels. Light covers. An unattractive to me but apparently original triple tin foil/plastic wrap/paper towel dispenser next to the sink. Ceiling light fixtures. Probably more stuff that doesn't come to mind. ASK!
If you want any of this stuff please reply by Monday either here or directly as a PM.

This is a pay it forward deal. I am not looking to profit from this. Anyone can have it for free if they pick it up or pay the shipping from Miami, FL.
TurkeyRun is offline   Reply With Quote