Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2016, 06:07 AM   #1

1968 26' Overlander
Paoli , Indiana
1968 Overlander wind damage

I am seeking advice on options available for my 1968 AS that became the victim of a windstorm in November 2015 in Southern Indiana.
I’ve included a couple of pictures that show the extent of the damages. Overall the condition of the AS was very good before the storm. Anyplace in the area (Southern Indiana) that could provide an estimate for repair or is it beyond fixing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3615.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	674.9 KB
ID:	255127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3588.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	715.6 KB
ID:	255128  

Dbfoster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Wow
Anything built by man can be repaired by man, but that is some pretty extensive damage. My guess is the cost of repair would be far beyond the value of the trailer. If the interior was in good shape you may be able to use it as a parts trailer for one with a good shel that has been gutted.

Too bad, it looks like it was a nice trailer.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I had a similar event when straight line winds over 100mph came through our neighborhood. My suggestion is print out a bunch of for sale Overlanders of around the same year and condition. Give them to your Insurance adjuster.
I got great value for mine, and later stripped out anything I could think to use, with the company's permission. I would have bought the salvage trailer back if I had room to store it and its replacement..
This was over 5 years ago and it is still painful, I had just finished the resto and installed the gaucho a day before. The gaucho went in my next trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big tree.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	255130  
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Manheim , Pennsylvania
That is a terrible loss! I feel very much sorry for you. Like AldeanFan said, I highly doubt it will be very affordable to fix that. It is fixable I am sure, but you could probably part it out and make some money back off of it. Currently I am doing a shell off restoration on my 68 Overlander... I would quickly buy those windows off of you if they are original Corning Glass. And probably many more undamaged parts.
SonOfAnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Dang wind! I see no useful purpose in wind!

Many of us vintage Airstream owners don't insure our trailers as we didn't pay all that much for them. I finally insured mine when my expenses on the thing became quite significant. I sleep a little better knowing I'm financially protected from that dang wind.

My 86 was hailed on several years ago. I got an estimate from a dealer to repair the damaged panels. The estimate was just under $55k to repair on a $20k trailer. Needless to say we now live with the dents.

Your 68 has many rather unique parts that are quite valuable. As mentioned, the windows are unique and no longer made. If the Bargman door latch is still good, that item is rather rare too. And some of the interior parts are in demand like light fixtures.

I can't imagine how you feel. I would feel terrible for a while. There are thousands of old Airstreams out there. You'll just have to find another one.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
This is everyone's nightmare. We coddle and care for our trailers during hundreds of miles of towing, night after night of happy days & nights of cooking, living & sleeping in them and carefully parking them in tight spots along the road and then this happens. I don't know about you but what I would probably do myself is a) thank the good lord that no one was injured and b) call it a total loss and move on. The most exciting part of RV'ing isn't what is behind us, it's what's around that next corner!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Insurance - very advisable. Mine is insured for $20K replacement value which is about what I have in it overall. It costs me about $125/year for that coverage. I also carry a liability umbrella policy for any damage I may cause through my own actions that would cover any occurrences involving the trailer (I had that before I obtained the trailer). My trailer is stored close to a tree very similar to the one in these pictures and if this were to happen to my trailer it would be a phone call or an email with attached pictures to the insurance agent.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Never never ever park by big old trees when your storing your trailer for more than a few days !
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfAnder View Post
That is a terrible loss! I feel very much sorry for you. Like AldeanFan said, I highly doubt it will be very affordable to fix that. It is fixable I am sure, but you could probably part it out and make some money back off of it. Currently I am doing a shell off restoration on my 68 Overlander... I would quickly buy those windows off of you if they are original Corning Glass. And probably many more undamaged parts.
Not to say that they aren't worth anything, but those windows are now available through Vintage Trailer Supply. We recently picked up a '68 Sovereign that has only 3 of the original 8 windows. I'm thinking that when we get to renovating this trailer we may replace all of the windows with new ones from VTS as I've heard that the originals were prone to shattering unexpectedly.

As others have said, I think the repair costs would be prohibitive, but there would be lots of good parts that could be put into saving other trailers.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Totalled for sure :-(
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags