Old 05-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2012 16' Sport
Pensacola Beach , Florida
Wood Veneer Bubbling

The wood veneer on the wall of our new 2012 Sport 16 is bubbling up in a few spots. It is very minor and I have been told that the easiest way to repair it is to heat the area up with a iron over a small towel to avoid damaging the veneer and it will usually re-adhear to the wall. I have attached a photo but it is hard to see the two areas just above one of the detectors. My questions are:

1. Is the repair really this easy and foolproof (can't make it worse); or

2. Even if it's an easy repair, because its brand new and almost certainly a warranty item, should I have an Airstream dealer handle the repair; and

3. If I do take it to an Airstream dealer, is this such a standard repair that any shop can handle it or do I need to inquire further?

Thanks, Glenn

PS Need better photo and rotated. Very hard to see here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream veneer4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	157365  

lubelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
I would take it to an Airstream dealer, because you know any decision we make and something accidently goes astray they will deny any service for that area now and in the future. Error on the side of caution.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
With it still under warranty, I agree, take it to a dealer.

I have used the iron trick to reactivate the contact adhesive under laminate before, and it works well. Thanks to watching Ask This Old House for the tip. It works great if you need to remove a piece of laminate too. They used it to remove a piece of edge trim where it couldn't be seen to patch a spot where it was obvious.

However, with something so new, I'd let the factory (or their representatives) deal with the problem.

Best of luck!
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Malden , Massachusetts
My bathroom door on my brand new 2011 did that last year and they just replaced the entire door. Actually they shipped me the door since I am a several hundred miles from my dealer.

They didn't hesitate at all.
ciemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Topping , Virginia

Contact glue is not the best product when using wood veneer. Easy, yes. Frequently it will delam. Considering the mfg they may have used veneer glue or yellow or white all of which can be reheated with an iron as above. When spraying contact large areas are sometimes thinly coated.
If the veneer is phenolic backed (which in improbable) then contact is ok.
All that being said I'd take it to the dealer if it's under warrenty.
tarnished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2012 16' Sport
Pensacola Beach , Florida
Thanks to all of you. I will probably just add it to what will hopefully stay a very short list for next time we visit our dealer.
lubelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
1966 20' Globetrotter
houston , Texas
wood veneer bubbling

i find that the biggest problem and having learned the hard way myself,is that if the contact glue is not totally dries and the veneer is applied,it will eventually lift if not right then and that point,one must start all over with a new piece of veneer.i speak more about restoration.i'm not too sure of the methods used from the factory.

jcb466 is offline   Reply With Quote