Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Window treatments for our "new" 87 Excella 34'

We are refurbishing our unit. We have removed the blinds and curtains and want to do new window treatments with nice blinds and maybe valances instead of the curtains which attract so much dust. I would appreciate input on the type of blinds/window treatments which are attractive and functional.
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier
We are refurbishing our unit. We have removed the blinds and curtains and want to do new window treatments with nice blinds and maybe valances instead of the curtains which attract so much dust. I would appreciate input on the type of blinds/window treatments which are attractive and functional.
You have many options. Just one word of advice:
Due to the curvature of the walls, blinds will leave a gap between the blind and the wall, allowing light and heat to intrude. Blinds will also have to be fastened on the bottom to keep them against a curved wall.
You will have to most likely open the blinds completely every time you open or close the window, unless you cut them very close to the inside of the window, and then concern #1 applies.
Blinds work very well if they have window valances/boxes built around them. Depending on the amount of windows, size of the blinds, and the associated cabinetry, it will add quite a bit of weight to your trailer.
Ok, that was more than one word...sorry.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Blinds

You mentioned many options. Which window treatment option to you like best?
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1975 28' Argosy 28
Snellville , Georgia
Blinds

We have decided to go with blinds on some windows and curtains on the others. We found a great web-site to order custom blinds (stainless steel look, but aluminum).
We have just ordered 1/2" blinds from www.justblinds.com , they are very reasonable and they are going to look great. As for the curtains, they are being custom made by my mother in law. We are doing curtains on all the curved windows. We are doing blinds in the kitchen, bed, bathroom, and the big center window in front. Now are windows are slightly different because we have a 1975 Argosy. We have big front curved windows. We are actually doing kind of resto-mod. Modern fabrics, floor coverings, countertops, flat screen TV, etc. Hope this helps.
caseyd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier
You mentioned many options. Which window treatment option to you like best?
I like wooden blinds in vintage trailers, and i also like simple drapes in the newer models.
Drapes make an interior feel warmer, and quieter, as they absorb sound inside the Airstream.
Pull down shades seem practical for a modern, clean look, and work well in the galley.
I am not sure of your personal taste, so it's really up to you which look you like best.
I went with drapes for my 1963 Overlander restoration/modernization for reasons of sound and a warm ambiance ( not temperature)
My window layout would have made wooden blind installation very difficult, and probably not very practical due to the location of my window operator levers.
Often a very plain pattern works best in a busy environment such as the interior of an Airstream. Drapes would also likely be your most efficient choice.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #6
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Regardless of what you put up for window treatment you will be dealing with dust. There is no way around it - this is not something limited to drapes. For me, the drapes are pretty simple to remove and clean. Probably more simple than blinds would be, and they can just be sent to the dry cleaners if needed.

We have the roller shades which were mounted years ago, likely be a previous owner. I don't know if they are factory or not. They do a nice job of helping to reduce light into the trailer, especially when combined with the lined drapes I made this summer. I'm not sure how you'll block the light with just blinds since they won't follow the curve of the walls well.

Also, how do you plan to handle the corner windows with blinds? I've yet to see a good plan for addressing the wrap-around windows without curtains or drapes.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
For general info: if you search for Airstream Curtains on Etsy you'll find Sew Country Awnings.

Beverly made beautiful replacement curtains for our '87, including snaps and glides. We shipped the old curtains as a pattern and selected the fabric.

We felt she undercharged a lot considering the quality of her work -- less than 1/2 of what we expected to pay considering the quality of her work and prices we had seen elsewhere (we sent her a bonus). Delighted with her work!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0244 (1).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	411472  

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote