Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
The TV weighs 18.8 lbs and the mount with an articulating arm weighs 12.6 lbs. It would be strapped shut while traveling, but I'm afraid the footprint of the mount (about 6" square) would be too much for 1/4". The mount is made for an RV.
Yup; I'd be worried about hanging 30 lbs offset from the wall on a 6" tall mount in a bouncing trailer as well. The wall itself can easily handle both the vertical load and bending loads, of course; you just need to reinforce where the mount connects so the load is tied into the wall over a larger area. I don't know how you're handling the shower; can you bolt/screw through the wall, or is epoxying something to the surface the only option? What "look" are you trying for in the trailer? We went with varnished (well, polyurethane) birch plywood and aluminum corner moldings, etc; exposed stainless fasteners don't look out of place so this made some things a little easier. If you're striving for more of a cabinet maker's dream, you've got different constraints.

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Yup; I'd be worried about hanging 30 lbs offset from the wall on a 6" tall mount in a bouncing trailer as well. The wall itself can easily handle both the vertical load and bending loads, of course; you just need to reinforce where the mount connects so the load is tied into the wall over a larger area. I don't know how you're handling the shower; can you bolt/screw through the wall, or is epoxying something to the surface the only option? What "look" are you trying for in the trailer? We went with varnished (well, polyurethane) birch plywood and aluminum corner moldings, etc; exposed stainless fasteners don't look out of place so this made some things a little easier. If you're striving for more of a cabinet maker's dream, you've got different constraints.

- Bart
Of course, I'm looking for the David Winnick effect! I can bolt through the wall to the shower with SS. I'm planning on using sheet plastic on that wall of the shower (it kinda has a bumpy, white, commercial look). Maybe I can spread the weight out more by making a larger frame to attach the mount to..... I like HiHoArgRV's idea too.....decisions, decisions. If only I wasn't addicted to a bit of TV before going off to sleep (and movie night with some of the extended family)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Sandwich wall construction

I agree. Glue " thick x 1" wide vertical strips of wood spaced 9-12" apart onto one surface of the plywood and then glue another " sheet of plywood to the strips. Use Gorilla glue and it will will be plenty strong and much lighter too. I don't think another F channel will be required for the new sheet of plywood.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I agree. Glue " thick x 1" wide vertical strips of wood spaced 9-12" apart onto one surface of the plywood and then glue another " sheet of plywood to the strips. Use Gorilla glue and it will will be plenty strong and much lighter too. I don't think another F channel will be required for the new sheet of plywood.
The idea is sounding better......I wouldn't have to have any hardware in the shower if I went this way....

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Becky,
I was worried about the same thing. BUT, my TV is just a 22" with a non swivel bracket...maybe 12 lbs total.

I did back up the stock wall (pocket door wall...1/4"?) with a piece of 1/4" aluminum and all is good. No structural issues after traveling for one season.

I agree with Bart's....3/4 is overkill but I think 1/4" might not do it with your weights. Just by SWAGing, I'd go 1/2".

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote