Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Where to buy OEM mini blind hold down clips for 2008 airstream?

Some of my clips have broken and I'd like to replace them. Anyone have an online source for purchasing the OEM plastic clips that hold the mini blinds down in a 2008 model? Thanks!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
I am hoping to get OEM so they plug and play and I don't have to drill any new holes or mess with other mounting options.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If you are talking about the little round wheel thingies, I got a bag from my dealer. They come in bags of 20 or 25 (I can't remember exactly) and they were cheap. I figured they will all be eventually needed, so they're in my tool kit.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
If you are talking about the little round wheel thingies, I got a bag from my dealer. They come in bags of 20 or 25 (I can't remember exactly) and they were cheap. I figured they will all be eventually needed, so they're in my tool kit.
Thanks. I am referring to the opaque off white plastic clips that screw into the wall and have a hole in them where the bottom of the mini blind is inserted.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Oh, never mind....totally missed the mini blind thing. Was thinking about the day/ night shades.

Here's some...harder to find online than I suspected!

RV Discount Suppliers Mini Blind Hold Down vinyl white RV Camper Hardware

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Do you have an Airstream dealer close? I just picked up a 2 pack from our local dealership. Paid $.98 for them.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
There is a dealer in Longmont, 15 miles from Boulder. Give them a call.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Another thing that can be done, and works sick, it to attach a small steel L channel to the wall with good quality double sticky tape, then put a couple or 3 of the little super powerful magnets on that plate and hold the bottom of the blind (also magnetic) with them. Magnets are available often at craft shops, hardware stores, and Harbor Freight. By using the double tape, no additional holes are needed.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My mini blind clips worked okay but came unhooked easily if the blinds are bumped. We like the mini blinds other than that. So I went to Home Depot and bought the most powerful, small screw-on magnets they had, the kind used for cabinet doors. About ten bucks a pair but I wanted the blinds to stay in place.

The steel lower bar of the mini blind clicks tightly to these magnets and stays there. You do have to drill one hole for each magnet a little closer inward than the plastic clip holes. Just put the screws back in the original holes or a pop rivet to blend in.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
My mini blind clips worked okay but came unhooked easily if the blinds are bumped. We like the mini blinds other than that. So I went to Home Depot and bought the most powerful, small screw-on magnets they had, the kind used for cabinet doors. About ten bucks a pair but I wanted the blinds to stay in place.

The steel lower bar of the mini blind clicks tightly to these magnets and stays there. You do have to drill one hole for each magnet a little closer inward than the plastic clip holes. Just put the screws back in the original holes or a pop rivet to blend in.
Do you have a picture of your screw in magnets? We like the magnet idea but are concerned that the L channel mounting would get in the way since we lean against the windows in our dinette...
Old 07-31-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
khollister has it figured out.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...ml#post1489812
Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This is the one we used, the 16 pound pull to be sure they stayed in place. No angle, just screwed it to the wall about 1" inward from the ends of each side of the blind base. You don't use all of the kit, just the magnet, holding cup, and screw. Home Depot has them.

Packaged Neodymium Latch Magnet Kits - Master Magnetics, Inc.

Tip, don't put the magnet into the cup until it is finally fastened to the wall. They are really strong magnets, very hard to get out of the cup once on the wall but hold the blind securely.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
This is the one we used, the 16 pound pull to be sure they stayed in place. No angle, just screwed it to the wall about 1" inward from the ends of each side of the blind base. You don't use all of the kit, just the magnet, holding cup, and screw. Home Depot has them.

Packaged Neodymium Latch Magnet Kits - Master Magnetics, Inc.

Tip, don't put the magnet into the cup until it is finally fastened to the wall. They are really strong magnets, very hard to get out of the cup once on the wall but hold the blind securely.
Thanks! I really like you approach in that the magnets are flush with the wall so you can lean against the window without getting poked by something jutting outward. Do you have any pics of your final setup? I'd love to see how the magnets look installed (size wise). Brilliant idea by the way....