Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Provo , Utah
What to do about these drapes...

My wife and I just bought a 66' Overlander and found some JPA Drapes in one of the cupboards. The previous owner had them ordered. I tried to figure them out, but the tracks and the drapes seem incompatible.

Any help that can be offered on what to buy or do would be great.

And there's no bottom track, or evidence of one at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	curtaintrack.png
Views:	228
Size:	818.0 KB
ID:	160979

Name:	curtainbottoms.png
Views:	206
Size:	464.2 KB
ID:	160980
kylewbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Looks like the previous drapes had snaps on them which attached to those glides on the track.

JPA drapes are expensive and get excellent reviews, so I would try to get them to work. First see if they fit your windows. Just because the previous owner said they were for that trailer, its worth confirming for yourself.

Next find a way to get those drapes on the existing curtain track. I'm not sure how those ring types on your drapes are supposed to work so maybe someone else can fill you in. You may have to replace those rings with T or G glides, if that is the sort of track you have.

You can look at my blog for DIY drapes and see how the glides go on.

Christopher
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
portland , Oregon
you could also check your local fabric store for drapery hooks. they make hooks that create a pleat and hooks to be used with pre pleated drapes. those would be easy-the hook goes into the pleat and then would easily slide into the glides on the track. sewing on t or g glides would be a pain and i am not sure would solve the problem.
cbcnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
I agree with cb. Get drapery hooks. They'll go right into the hardware . You may need or play with the placement of them on the fabric to get the look and coverage you want. Also check the number of rings with the number of pleats. If they don't match, just double up on one or the other at either end. (or skip one) You can also over lap at the "join" if there are two for better privacy/blockout.
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
The eyes on the drapes and the snaps on the tracks do not look compatible. Do the drapes seem to be the correct length and width for your windows?

My '68 overlander has top and bottom tracks. I don't see why you couldn't just hang these from top tracks and leave the bottom loose. On my tracks are some tabs that appear to get sewn to the drapes. You could sew the track rings you have to you drapes or sew the other half of a snap to the drapes and snap them to the track rings (if they are for snaps). This would likely require removal of the rings on the drapes to work smoothly.
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Give Audrey a call (800-813-7686)or email her at @JPAdrapes.com with the picture and she can assist. I bet if you provide the VIN Number she can look it up as this is a Family business that has been doing this for decades. These are worth getting corrected and keeping.

She made a complete set for us last year, they work great, were well worth the money and fit like new.

She is also advertised in the Blue Beret as well if I didn't provide the correct info.

Good Luck, SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Shreveport , Louisiana
Our '67 safari has the same track system at the top. The bottom only has a snap thing in each corner. Do you guys know what the bottom of the original drapes had? Was there a rod or something that snapped into place? Thanks, Jennifer
JJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Flin Flon , Manitoba
I am in the process of making drapes using the original hardware of our65 globetrotter , we have the same upper hardware as you have in the photo.
At the bottom of our windows we also have the snap you described , but also have the original elastic string that was attached to the snap. The original curtains... I believe .... Either used the o rings to thread along the elastic or the elastic went through the hem... I think this was to keep the curtains against the interior wall, not swaying away from it.
I will try and get a photo for you.
Kdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Flin Flon , Manitoba
Here is a photo of the elastic attached to the snaps on our rear window. We have none of the original drapes. I will use drapery hooks at the top.

Name:	image-1808909370.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	163854
Kdawn is offline   Reply With Quote