Old 03-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
The whole thing about the XIM primer is that it is designed to adhere to plastics or vinyl and provide a good base for paint. I appreciate the suggestion on using thinner to clean the walls, but I'm still not positive it will forever eliminate the problem of plasticizer migrating out of the vinyl. After 40+ years, I would think that most of the "sticky" has come out of the vinyl wall covering, but reports on the forum suggest the problem is ongoing.

My current cleaning plan is to do everything with SuperClean, the purple stuff you can get at places like Wal-Mart. The next cleaning is going to be with TSP. After getting everything as "degreased" and clean as possible, I'll scuff the interior with a 150 grit or so abrasive. After a wipe down and final prep, I'll roll the XIM and let it cure.

My wife is picking out the paint colors. We'll do the entire interior and then I'll shoot two coats of the PolyCrylic to seal everything. In a year, I'll post the results.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
The XIM primer is a good product, but thin and frustratingly stickly. It's a bit like painting with contact cement. In retrospect, I should have taped off the windows and shot everything with my paint gun rather than rolling/brushing. Ah, well. The purple Super Clean works well. TSP does OK, but lacks the grime busting pop. Since the XIM went on pretty thin, I may take an earlier suggestion drop a coat of Zinsser cover stain primer. The oil-based product is prep for either oil or latex paint, and it may help abate the plasticizer migration.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
The Zinsser Cover Stain rolled on easily and we seem to have good adhesion to the XIM. Adding to what I think I know... I think small rollers are a necessity with a rounded interior.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Just to add what we ended up doing for painting the vinyl walls and plastic endcap:

Cleaned thoroughly using POR15 marine clean
Sanded with 220 grit througout

On the plastic endcap, AC inside cover and wing window trims, we primed using Adhesion Primer in latex from Sherman Williams (B51 W 8050)

On the vinyl walls, we primed using Pro-Block oil based from SW (B79 W 8810)

Then we used an oil-based paint on top. In the compound curves at the ends, I cut a standard roller into 3's and a small roller and rolled it on in a triangle fashion. That size roller seemed to fit well into our 79 curves.

It has been through a winter so far and looks great still with no weeping/peeling issues. The only issue so far is when I am building in the cabinets and a panel connection moves some when screwing into them to mount, the paint cracks right at the seam. I don't think any paint covering is going to avoid that unless you remove the aluminum wall panels and paint them before putting them back in so your not painting over seams. I will be touching it up when done.

Good luck with your choice and hope it lasts a long time
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Here's my synoposis. I cleaned everything with purple SuperClean, rinse, TSP, rinse. One coat of XIM plastic primer, one coat of Zinsser oil-based primer, three coats of latex paint (finished). My final coat is going to be the PolyCrylic to seal everything. So far, so good.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:27 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Graham , Washington
I have a question-has anyone ever removed the original plastic vinyl wallpaper? Would this be easier than all of the above steps to seal it? I realize that you would still have to patch?, sand, and prime but you wouldn't be waiting for it to leach through.
Just a thought if anyone has ever done this and lived to tell the tale-ha!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollymaren View Post
I have a question-has anyone ever removed the original plastic vinyl wallpaper? Would this be easier than all of the above steps to seal it? I realize that you would still have to patch?, sand, and prime but you wouldn't be waiting for it to leach through.
Just a thought if anyone has ever done this and lived to tell the tale-ha!
Have read here on the forums that it is a horrendous job....
Old 06-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
Bin Primer

I recently painted my interior with a primer called Bin. I thought it worked brilliantly! You can paint the Bin primer on to the cleaned vinyl even if it is sticky; so far it seems to have prevented the stickiness from bleeding through. It also blocks stains and does not require prior sanding.

I have explained it more thoroughly on my blog.

Lucy.

www.mermitate.com
lgastall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
I talked with the guys at Insl-X, makers of STIX primer. Someone here mentioned it earlier. They said that it is not good at holding back the plasticizers in the vinyl. They recommended another primer calls Aqua-Lock for that. The difference being that Aqua-Lock is 100% acrylic, waterborne primer. STIX is waterborne, urethane acrylic. I personally have no idea what any of that means. It's just what they told me.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Like Lucy, we are using BIN to prime our vinyl walls. So far so good. Was told that being a shellac based product, it would be harder, more durable, cover more, and should keep back plasticizer. Two coats so far and we are ready for latex paint. Time will tell...

Bob
TAC PA-5
Old 07-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
Bob.

Have you had any trouble with it peeling off yet? I've had a few small patches peeling off but only in a 1ft square area.

I spoke to the paint shop and they said they had no idea but could send the BIN rep round if I needed.

Everywhere else it is still working brilliantly, I just wondered if you had suffered a similar problem.

Lucy.

www.mermitate.com
Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
I primed my walls last night with XIM bonding primer and noticed two spots about 5 - 7 inches in diameter have started "crinkling". I'm going to assume those are areas that I didn't quite get clean, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I thought I'd sand those areas done to the vinyl and TSP them, rinse and re-prime. Any thoughts? Everything else seems to have stuck pretty well.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #27
x

XXXX , XXXX
I have begun painting my interior walls with Krylon spray paint for plastics. Works great. takes forever to mask off or remove everything. At 8 bucks a can I think I could have bought a new A/S for less.LOL.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
Adwriter,

Where about in the van is it happening? I've had the same problem.

I sanded the patches down and re-cleaned them and reapplied the paint. My patches are still noticeable though as I couldn’t sand down the paint in the vinyl texture.

I can post some pictures of my reapplied bits if you want.

www.mermitate.com

Tags
paint