Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2010, 06:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollymaren View Post
I have a question-has anyone ever removed the original plastic vinyl wallpaper? Would this be easier than all of the above steps to seal it? I realize that you would still have to patch?, sand, and prime but you wouldn't be waiting for it to leach through.
Just a thought if anyone has ever done this and lived to tell the tale-ha!
Have read here on the forums that it is a horrendous job....
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
Bin Primer

I recently painted my interior with a primer called Bin. I thought it worked brilliantly! You can paint the Bin primer on to the cleaned vinyl even if it is sticky; so far it seems to have prevented the stickiness from bleeding through. It also blocks stains and does not require prior sanding.

I have explained it more thoroughly on my blog.

Lucy.

www.mermitate.com
lgastall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I talked with the guys at Insl-X, makers of STIX primer. Someone here mentioned it earlier. They said that it is not good at holding back the plasticizers in the vinyl. They recommended another primer calls Aqua-Lock for that. The difference being that Aqua-Lock is 100% acrylic, waterborne primer. STIX is waterborne, urethane acrylic. I personally have no idea what any of that means. It's just what they told me.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Like Lucy, we are using BIN to prime our vinyl walls. So far so good. Was told that being a shellac based product, it would be harder, more durable, cover more, and should keep back plasticizer. Two coats so far and we are ready for latex paint. Time will tell...

Bob
TAC PA-5
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
Bob.

Have you had any trouble with it peeling off yet? I've had a few small patches peeling off but only in a 1ft square area.

I spoke to the paint shop and they said they had no idea but could send the BIN rep round if I needed.

Everywhere else it is still working brilliantly, I just wondered if you had suffered a similar problem.

Lucy.

www.mermitate.com
Old 07-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I primed my walls last night with XIM bonding primer and noticed two spots about 5 - 7 inches in diameter have started "crinkling". I'm going to assume those are areas that I didn't quite get clean, but I'm not sure what to do about it. I thought I'd sand those areas done to the vinyl and TSP them, rinse and re-prime. Any thoughts? Everything else seems to have stuck pretty well.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #27
x

XXXX , XXXX
I have begun painting my interior walls with Krylon spray paint for plastics. Works great. takes forever to mask off or remove everything. At 8 bucks a can I think I could have bought a new A/S for less.LOL.
Attached Images

wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
Adwriter,

Where about in the van is it happening? I've had the same problem.

I sanded the patches down and re-cleaned them and reapplied the paint. My patches are still noticeable though as I couldn’t sand down the paint in the vinyl texture.

I can post some pictures of my reapplied bits if you want.

www.mermitate.com
Old 07-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgastall View Post
Adwriter,

Where about in the van is it happening? I've had the same problem.

I sanded the patches down and re-cleaned them and reapplied the paint. My patches are still noticeable though as I couldn’t sand down the paint in the vinyl texture.

I can post some pictures of my reapplied bits if you want.
Mine were in the ceiling. Pretty sure it was areas I missed with the cleaning solution. I sanded them down, re-cleaned with TSP, rinsed it off and re-applied the primer. Going to check it in about an hour to see if the "crinkling" has stopped.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Granbury , Texas
Wow, good info! Rollerboy, would the Cover-Stain be a good product to prime the fake wood with, before painting? I want to brighten the inside of my 72 AS, and get rid of the dark fake-stain. Thanks!
AirstrmNewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
Just a quick update.

I suggested using BIN primer. Over all it has worked brilliantly but in small patches it has started to bubble. It's not a huge problem but it's not the wonder fix I thought it first was.

I just wanted to warn anybody who was thinking of using it.

Lucy.

www.mermitate.com
Old 01-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
I have begun painting my interior walls with Krylon spray paint for plastics. Works great. takes forever to mask off or remove everything. At 8 bucks a can I think I could have bought a new A/S for less.LOL.

How has this turned out? It seems too easy/good to be true but it looks great!
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #33
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishandfly View Post
How has this turned out? It seems too easy/good to be true but it looks great!
Hi Fishandfly Well actually it has turned out really well. My project has morphed into a complete shell off so all the interior skins and end caps have been removed. I did paint almost all of them before they were removed. Here are a couple of shots before everything was removed. You can clearly see the sections not painted yet. I wish I could find this paint in liquid form to just roll on. The spray cans are expensive and a lot of time was spent masking off everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back To Front.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	120337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front To Back.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	120338  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	120339  
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris
Hi Fishandfly Well actually it has turned out really well. My project has morphed into a complete shell off so all the interior skins and end caps have been removed. I did paint almost all of them before they were removed. Here are a couple of shots before everything was removed. You can clearly see the sections not painted yet. I wish I could find this paint in liquid form to just roll on. The spray cans are expensive and a lot of time was spent masking off everything.
Wow. Looking great.
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Does anyone worry about all the chemical leaching into the air and contaminating our environment. We just bought our airstream and plan to use it as both an office and a family vacation tool, but I am very worried about all of the plastics. First there is the vinyl wall issue and then it seems that even the primers and sealers are just more chemicals that are inevitably gassing. I don't know how easily I'll rest in my little silver pod if I'm thinking we are just all being gassed. Our vinyl is sticky sticky so I'm looking to seal and paint it but am hoping someone has the best, most environmentally friendly option we can use.
megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
OMHO, but if you worry too much, hypertension will get you before the toxins even have a chance. Dont ask me how I know. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by megan View Post
Does anyone worry about all the chemical leaching into the air and contaminating our environment. We just bought our airstream and plan to use it as both an office and a family vacation tool, but I am very worried about all of the plastics. First there is the vinyl wall issue and then it seems that even the primers and sealers are just more chemicals that are inevitably gassing. I don't know how easily I'll rest in my little silver pod if I'm thinking we are just all being gassed. Our vinyl is sticky sticky so I'm looking to seal and paint it but am hoping someone has the best, most environmentally friendly option we can use.

I worry about my dog gassing me out

Search this forum for advice on great products to clean the vinyl coated walls - the stickiness can be successfully removed. If you're worried about chemicals and the associated impact on the world, leave the paint on the shelf... I work on the shuttle program - both in payload and crew systems. We are extremely concerned with out-gassing - as it can effect humans and very sensitive orbiting spacecraft. Almost everything outgasses. Somehow, we have flight-approved sharpie markers. Hummmmmmmmm Sometimes you just have to let convenience override!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
We used to get so frustrated with my grandparents as they were always worried about the out gassing, to the degree that they would cover their flooring with area rugs that we all tripped over. I can't believe they didn't break a hip on those rugs!

I have to say, I while I'm not super crazy about chemicals and such in the house, it really freaks me out to think about being in such a small, enclosed space surrounded by nothing but vinyl and acrylics. We'll be in our airstream for longer than I would expect anyone is on a shuttle. Come to think of it, my crazy grandfather was an engineer at NASA for over 25 years.
megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
why not wall paper

I used a wall paper from Loews that was pre-glued and you tore it into pieces of various sizes then moistend in warm water and applied onto the wall.

I cleaned the vinyl with a mild solution of TSP before applying the wall paper. It covers well and more than two years still looks great.

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Port Hueneme , California
After washing the vinyl walls of 1976 AS Caravanner with just water and a little detergent, I applied two coats of polycrylic to the walls. They seem to be better with less stickiness than previous noticed. I will probably apply at least one more coat. I did not want to paint because I like the look of the original material. If I find anything significant I'll report to the group.

Thanks WBa1
wba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint