Old 01-17-2009, 05:03 AM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
and yet another option... Watco Danish Finishing Oil. Watco is a combination of all the methods you just heard. It is a boiled linseed, tung oil, wax and dryer all mixed into one. It will deeply penetrate the wood and become part of the wood cells. If ever it is damaged it can be reapplied and no one will know the difference. I have used this finish for close to 25 years on fine wood working and it is the best product in my opinion. I do not use it as directed though. I sand to 150 grit and vacuum the dust then apply a thin coat using a lint free rag. After 5 minutes, I wipe any wet oil off and let it dry for 24 hours. Be sure to always wipe off the access or it will gum up on the surface. You are trying to penetrate and build. Next I sand with 180 grit and repeat. Then 220 grit , and finally 320 grit. The grain will be spectacular and the sheen will be perfect in my opinion. It takes a few days, but the time spent is minimal once the first coat is on. I am pretty sure the 65 caravel had mahogany interior and it loves the Watco. The finish will highlight the ray grains and it will sparkle.

To answer someone else... the boil the linseed oil to create strands of oil as opposed to balls of oil. the strands overlap and create a surface. The oil also dries faster after it is boiled. Raw linseed oil is a deep penetrating finish that takes weeks to dry

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
and yet another option... Watco Danish Finishing Oil. Watco is a combination of all the methods you just heard. It is a boiled linseed, tung oil, wax and dryer all mixed into one....
And yet some more. Watco is a Danish oil and contains no Tung oil Tung oil is a much better polymizer than linseed and will form a better finish. I suggest using Waterlox brand. I use it on my wood canoes, musical instruments and all of the furniture I build. Used Watco in the past but the finish doesn't hold up as well over the long run. I also used to blend my own uising pure Tung oil, mineral spirits, Japan drier and sometimes a little carnuba wax depending on the application. The Waterlox is superior to anything I was able to blend.

They really know their funish.

Royce (K0RKK) 146.460 simplex
Web page
AIR# 3913
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote