Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Hockessin , Delaware
Water stains on upholstered walls

Our 2005 Classic (Golden Touch) interior has some water stains on the upholstered-cloth walls. This occurred when the slide out was out during an unusual 7 inch rain storm. I am soliciting advice on how to remove the stains.
dreamer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I don't know if we have the same exact same exact problem but we experienced something similar in our 07 FB 25' with the aluminum interior. Water marks on the the curtains at the rear windows. I don' t know if I have a water leak or if it is from condensation. There is always a lot of dampness at the bottom of the window during cold weather and during a rain.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Bath , New York
I sprayed a clean cloth with a foam cleaner--Woolite, I think--and blotted the stain. I didn't want to spray the wall directly for fear of getting it too wet and ending up with a bigger mess.
upstatetrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Interesting thread - I have exactly the same problem below the curb side window in the bedroom of our 2005 Classic 30.

Not sure if I have a leak or if it is from condensation but the "mouse fur shows slight stains below the window.)

I have re-caulked the window and also the vent & fan.

We are bringing the trailer home from storage this weekend in order to head to
Jersey Shore Haven Airstream park for a week and I was planning to have a go at cleaning the wall material.

I thought about using the upholstery attachment on our Bissel carpet cleaner along with their cleaning solution but I'm a bit concerned the rotating brush bristles might fuzz up the treated area too much.

I might just first try a less aggressive approach such as blotting it with a damp rag as has been suggested.

Maybe I'll try Oxyclean?

Might be an idea to treat the whole panel for uniformity?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
On the Safari / Flying Cloud Curtains. Just rinse with clear water after shaking the dust off thoroughly (yes there IS dust in nooks and crannies). Use bottled water if you are camping in the country. Lots of wells are tinged yellow due to iron deposits in the water.

For the Classic... try a new super clean sponge slightly dampened - pat around the water mark itself - don't rub or scrub and use cool water. Use a hair dryer on cool setting to dry the area. If that's successful in a small area, continue. A very very weak solution of oxygen bleach (Oxyclean, but made about 1/4 strength recommended for washing cloths) may be tried in an inconspicuous spot. Again pat it on, then pat dry with a towel, then pat down again with clear water, then pat dry, then use a fan or hairdryer. No bleach is really good for fiber, so you want to stop the action before it goes too far.

In either case ASSUME you DO have a leak. Get a moisture meter and check the floor right at the edge of the wall. You need the kind that will punch through the carpet or vinyl to measure the moisture in the wood. Do it close to the trim, and mark the spot for periodic re-testing (a spot of red nail polish on the trim will do nicely). Catching a leak early can prevent thousands of dollars of floor replacement costs.

Plenty of threads about floor replacement on newer units and about pressure testing and leaks that travel.

Paula
Old 08-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaylejoe View Post
I don' t know if I have a water leak or if it is from condensation. There is always a lot of dampness at the bottom of the window during cold weather and during a rain.
If you want to wipe condensation from your windows, I've found that an old-fashioned felt blackboard eraser works well. Very absorbent, doesn't streak, easy to grip. I carry one in each of my vehicles to use when the windshield and side windows fog up on the inside.