Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Washing and dying curtains

Finally got motivated and removed my curtains today. Gave them a good soak in Oxiclean and cold water. Followed by two full washes with Oxiclean. Hung them outside to dry. Pleasantly surprised at how much cleaner they are now. Still find the creamy color boring. I am not sure what material they are made of. Has anyone successfully been able to dye them a darker color?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
This question has been asked before, but those threads might be a while back now. I'll give you a quick answer. Dying has worked for some. Unfortunately, you really need to know content. It influences the mordant that sets the dye. I tried RIT on mine. Didn't work. My curtains are now ultra-dark blue but I was crazy enough to hand paint them with special fabric paint. Took me about 2 gallons for seven panels, front and back, solid color.

If your heart is set on coloring your curtains, here's thought that might freak some out. Try Kool-Aid. There are a few fiber artists including spinners who have hand-painted their yarns with it.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Starstream (no real name given), thank you for the suggestion. I had forgotten I even asked.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 09-18-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
You're welcome. May or may not be helpful, but if you're really serious about dying, check with Dharma Trading. They carry just about every dye available to hobbyists and professionals. They might even be able to help with fiber content and the most suitable dye for it.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstream View Post
You're welcome. May or may not be helpful, but if you're really serious about dying, check with Dharma Trading. They carry just about every dye available to hobbyists and professionals. They might even be able to help with fiber content and the most suitable dye for it.

Will do, thank you.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Finally got motivated and removed my curtains today. Gave them a good soak in Oxiclean and cold water. Followed by two full washes with Oxiclean. Hung them outside to dry. Pleasantly surprised at how much cleaner they are now. Still find the creamy color boring. I am not sure what material they are made of. Has anyone successfully been able to dye them a darker color?

Hi this maybe a post from last year, I need some advice on cleaning the curtains in my 2002 Classic.

I see that you used Oxiclean and you said you soaked them. Did you use your washer for this or was everything by hand.

I just took one set to my dry cleaners and they would not recommend dry cleaning. So I need some advice as to what to do now.
raidergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Definitely handwash, then drip dry

Follow our blog! https://theoverlanderproject.blogspot.com/
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I bought some from a 1999 Excella that a tree had fallen on and they were water stained and some had mildew on them I used a bleach pen on the mildew and washed them in the washing machine on gentle cycle let them air dry and ironed the pleats . They turned out great . They looked like a cotton material and were unlined white in color .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidergal View Post
Hi this maybe a post from last year, I need some advice on cleaning the curtains in my 2002 Classic.

I see that you used Oxiclean and you said you soaked them. Did you use your washer for this or was everything by hand.

I just took one set to my dry cleaners and they would not recommend dry cleaning. So I need some advice as to what to do now.
I used the washer. Let soak for an hour or so and then run thru two cleaning cycles using Oxiclean. Dried outside in the sun and fresh air. They dry quickly. No shrinkage or any noticeable damage. I think they are something other than cotton.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Hi I just washed one pair of my curtains, followed your instructions. They look great. They are outside drying. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidergal View Post
Hi I just washed one pair of my curtains, followed your instructions. They look great. They are outside drying. Thanks for the advice.
You are welcome.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Always nice to get a positive experience before embarking on yet another task.

If you are tired of olain old off white curtains consider accenting them with ribbon trim, beadwork, or embroidery. Patriotic theme? Sew red and blue ribbons 3 and 4 inches below the top... or even just pin it on. Make contrasting tie backs if you want. Easy to change out when you tire of them too.

PAULA
Old 05-28-2017, 08:59 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for your input Paula. Usually when we get to our spot, we pull out different colors of neck kerchiefs and unhook where we need to and tie them to create more light and also add some color to the old plain old white curtains.

Kathy
Old 06-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
We had quite a year of rain here in Nevada. One curtain had water stain damage. Got it off and am now working on the water stain. I did throw in washer. Most likely a polyester blend fabric. Water stain faded but still working on it. Borax is next. But it is less noticeable. If I can't get better success, they will look fine.
Even some books that were in the trailer did a curl. Our back yard looked like a big puddle with running streams.
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote