Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Indiana
WANTED: 70's 31' Sovereign rear twin frames

We are looking to replace an aftermarket Ikea side facing double bed with the OEM dual rear twin beds. Would anyone know where a set might be available? Has anyone fabricated their own - we are open to ideas.
see second from bottom floor plan here:

ryan3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Originally Posted by ryan3326 View Post
....we are open to ideas.
Welcome to the Forums!

When I converted my rear twins to a "wall to wall rear bed" I utilized white wood 2 X 3's from the orange flavor big box. If you take your time and search through the pile you should be able to round up some quality strong and light wood. The 2 X 3's give much more strength than 2 X 2's and are much lighter than 2 X 4's. I found that the "Simpson" type of angle and straight wood connectors were easy to work with and very strong. Be sure to use screws rather than nails for attaching them.

I found that "Western Red Cedar" that the same DIY store sells for fencing did a superior job for slats. Lighter than the same thickness of plywood the 6" widths of the boards were much easier to handle than plywood.

How 'bout some before, during, and after pictures?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
We may have a set available, wife and I are trying to decide just how to finish out the bedroom area, we are thinking of the one big mattress route, since we have two golden retrievers we allow into bed when the alarm goes off for a bit of morning time before we start our day and they get a little ignored. I am sure that ritual will remain the same in the AS... I don't know for sure when we will be making the decision about re-using them, but I will let you know as soon as possible. And on a plus side, we are not to far apart..

also.. 87MH is right, building, either from 2x's or even aluminum stock is not hard. Unless you just have to have the tambour doors and such, I would just build a set.. if you go to our link for our blog, there is a link to pictures, and we took a bunch as we removed the beds, pretty easy to see what you would need to kind do to make it work.
See our blog here on how two RV/AS rookies tackle a 1979 Sovereign resto!!

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Dakota's Dad,
Hey again. I just posted this under another topic but our POs used aluminum framing and plywood to make the whole rear into one big bed and used a California King mattress. They also put a piano hinge on a square cutout the size of the mattress to access under the bed storage. I couldn't lift it with the mattress. We also have 3 dogs that I am sure will be in the bed with us (2 boxers and an english bulldog). We plan on remaking the plywood area so we have 2 hinged panels and 2 twin mattresses to give us the same sleeping area and easy access to the storage. I will probably add those hydraulic whatevers used to open hatchbacks in cars easier to each so they stay open when fully up. We also plan on using the odd curved areas on the sides and back and make short shelves to hold cups and books, etc. I am not much on the fabric covered foam things that were in there to start.
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Silver Mist
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I have a set
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote