3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Thanks everyone for the great input.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
We used Stanley and his steam and it looks a lot better.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
1997 25' Safari
1976 25' Tradewind
Elgin , Arizona
Mouse fur glued to walls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
Ozite, hull liner, head liner, mouse fur, whatever you'd like to call it - it's polyester fiber.

woolite spray carpet cleaner, a bucket of water and a brush, and an old wet / dry vacuum worked well for us in our 2002 Safari 25C.

though, using a commercial cleaning service sounds really good, too!

ymmv.
How is the "mouse fur", etc. etc. attached to the walls? We have used our Hoover carpet cleaner with the upholstery attachment with fair results though was afraid to overdo it as wasn't sure if the fabric was glued on and we would soften the glue causing it to fail. We have a 1997 25' Safari. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
On my rig it is glued on. Be careful. Mine is starting to release in some areas.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #19
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Airstream used a variant of high temperature contact cement. Be careful not to use any solvent based cleaners as they will delaminate the old glue quickly.

I recommend a product named FOLEX Professional Carpet Cleaner. It lifts stains off easily, works better than any other cleaner I used over 10 years, and is not harmful to the "fur" or you. FOLEX is available at Bed Bath & Beyond in big bottles (vacuum cleaner isle) and I saw the small bottles at Home Depot yesterday (cleaning products isle).

Should you continue to experience glue release with age, the remedy is simple but arduous. Removal is as easy as just pulling an edge after time. I posted a link (below) to show how the surface appears once the fur is removed. The glue crystallizes where it gets hot enough and can be seen as gold/bronze areas in my pictures.

I chose to put up new material since cleaning and polishing the aluminum was more effort than I wanted to tackle. It makes a nice look and does not collect the dust and odors the carpet fibers inevitably trap.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/r...ml#post1699475

If you have access to a carpet cleaner with the furniture attachment, it is the best way to maintain your 'fur' long term. Use the upholstery attachment just like you would on fabric chairs, couch, et al. Just be careful not to use more than warm water. The 'steam' cleaning route can cause more glue delamination on older glue.

Sirs Gawain & Galahad
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
High Springs , Florida
Ditto the Bissell. I have the small portable Spot Clean Pro. Works like a champ on everything from carpet to upholstery. I'm at the end stage of gutting my new acquisition, 1999 25 Safari. All the carpet is finally out. As soon as the vinyl ceilings are cleaned I'm attacking the mouse fur with the Bissell monster. I'm expecting the usual excellent results from that little monster.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
We used a Bissell hand held plug in rug cleaner on ours, using the cleaner that came with it. It did a fairly decent job, much better than it was when we got it. We took it up to Jackson Center last spring to have the floor patched, a big rotten spot in the floor. I pointed out the mouse fur in the front was stained and moldy from the soggy spot in the floor. The technician said he would take care of it.

When we picked up the trailer the mouse fur was almost like new, very clean. I asked him what he used to clean it and he said bleach and a brush.

It still looks nice so bleach must not hurt it. Just the same, I'd call JC and ask them what the proper mix and procedure is. It looks better than what we were able to accomplish with the Bissell.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #22
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post

...to have the floor patched, a big rotten spot in the floor. I pointed out the mouse fur in the front was stained and moldy from the soggy spot in the floor. The technician said he would take care of it.

When we picked up the trailer the mouse fur was almost like new, very clean. I asked him what he used to clean it and he said bleach and a brush.

It still looks nice so bleach must not hurt it.

at a guess then, bleach would clearly kill / clean whatever mold or mildew was there. polyester absorbs virtually nothing; dirt just sits on it, not in it.

glad that it worked well for you!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
1997 25' Safari
1976 25' Tradewind
Elgin , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanineCoach View Post
What can you do if that fuzzy carpet stuff is something you don't like? Is it removable? Can you cover it with something, or do you have to live with it? We just got our 1999 27' Safari and are just starting the project of sprucing it up a bit.
Hi Canine Coach!We have a 1997 25' Safari with same wall fur. How did your re"fur"bishing project go? I hate the thought of removing it so will go the steam clean route with the non solvent cleaning product suggested by a fellow streamer. Also, have you had any problems with your city water hookup plumbing? Ours is located near the back bumper and has sprung a leak so we had to go on water pump for 10 days and talk about jack hammer! Just wondering if yours is in same inaccessible location? Thanks and hope to hear back. Hankster's mom.