Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Wallpaper Removal

My searches have all come up with those who have wallpaper falling off, I have the opposite problem, mine is stuck tight and I want it to fall off. I am trying to remove the 90's style pink floral AS original vinyl wallpaper from behind our counter and stove. So far I have tried a steamer, a heat gun and roughing up the surface and using a solvent. The stuff still sticks tight. I do not want to scrape it since I am trying to expose the aluminum behind. Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #2

2014 19' Flying Cloud
2012 Avenue Coach
birmingham , west midlands
about the wallpaper not comming off

Hi

About the wallpaper thats not comming of you need to use a stronger steamer, i had the same problem i found a site that did a really powerful steamer, your are going to need one of those from plushwallpaper.com

hope this helps

Hayden
hayden01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Airhead in An Airstream

1973 27' Overlander
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Longview , Texas
Go find a stripper

Errr not the 2 legged kind! We have an 1973 AS that was in terrible shape with nasty nasty vinyl wall paper. It looked like this...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3063.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	191081
I used Aircraft Paint Remover that I bought at the auto parts store, applied several coats over a few hours and then pulled it off. I was left with a yucky yellow tinted glue that was just a difficult as the vinyl. I used more Aircraft Paint Remover and 0000 steel wool to very gently scrub off the glue. Then I used Goof Off and a paper towel to wipe the area clean.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4393.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	191083
Then you must decide whether to leave it dull silver or polish it.

Good Luck!
Susan
SCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The six pack method worked. First I roughed up the surface, then applied a coat of epoxy remover and had a beer. Then coated the vinyl again with the remover and had another beer. The vinyl fell off the walls. Next I coated the remaining glue and drank the third beer. I washed down the area with mineral spirits and drank the fourth beer. I followed the mineral spirits with heavy duty liquid cleanser and the fifth beer. The walls are too badly marked up with cuts and scratches to ever be useable as is so I'm thinking of how to finish the area while I drink the last beer. I would recommend this method to anyone.