Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Wallpaper border application

I am ready to replace the border trim in the bathroom, old stuff peeled off easy, now the problem is how to put the new stuff on. It is vinyl coated prepasted wallpaper. Directions say don't use prepaste on vinyl, but use vinyl glue. I don't want it to fall off, but I also don't want it on so strong that it can't be replaced when it looks shabby like the last stuff.
It will be just above sink across back almost like a backsplash.
Any solutions? Thanks
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
We replaced the entire section of wallpaper below the medicine cabinet with 4" aluminum wall tile--it really looks nice and no more issues with border peal etc. The tile we bought comes with adhesive on the back and it's been in place for almost three years with no issues.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Sounds great! Now how about some pictures.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
Sounds great! Now how about some pictures.
I'll take some tomorrow and post.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
I like the tile idea, but if you want to put a wallpaper border up go to your local wallpaper/paint store and get wallpaper paste for vinyl to vinyl application. It should still let you take it off at a later date.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Tile Backsplash

Okay, here's the photo of our bathroom backsplash I promised you. The entire project was designed and installed by my wife in our 05 Classic. She bought the aluminum tiles from a home improvement catalog--they come in 4" squares and triangles. The first row is a combination of triangles and squares to cover the complete width of the backsplash. The second row are straight squares trimmed slightly to fill the available space. Between the two roles is 1" AS vinyl trim strip left over from a previous repair job--kind of breaks up the design a bit.

This replaced the original walpaper and border and gives more depth to the appearance. Hope you agree with me that she did a great job with this mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	074.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	90433  
Old 11-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Wow! That looks great. Thanks for sharing with the community.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:47 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
we will go with our hearts , Texas
it looks GREAT !!!
Victorialhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:11 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
Okay, here's the photo of our bathroom backsplash I promised you. The entire project was designed and installed by my wife in our 05 Classic. She bought the aluminum tiles from a home improvement catalog--they come in 4" squares and triangles. The first row is a combination of triangles and squares to cover the complete width of the backsplash. The second row are straight squares trimmed slightly to fill the available space. Between the two roles is 1" AS vinyl trim strip left over from a previous repair job--kind of breaks up the design a bit.

This replaced the original walpaper and border and gives more depth to the appearance. Hope you agree with me that she did a great job with this mod.
The tile does add a nice touch.

Good work,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Quote:

Hi Wolverine. I am exploring doing something similar in my 2004 Classic and wondered if your tiles have worked out over the long run. I found peel and stick tiles today at Lowes that come in a 12 by 12 sheet. They are aluminum or stainless looking, but smaller than yours, more of a mosaic look. Did your wife use anything other than the adhesive on the back to install the tiles? did she do anything to prepare the surface, or just stick it over the existing wall covering? Has it stayed in place?
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
Hi Wolverine. I am exploring doing something similar in my 2004 Classic and wondered if your tiles have worked out over the long run. I found peel and stick tiles today at Lowes that come in a 12 by 12 sheet. They are aluminum or stainless looking, but smaller than yours, more of a mosaic look. Did your wife use anything other than the adhesive on the back to install the tiles? did she do anything to prepare the surface, or just stick it over the existing wall covering? Has it stayed in place?
My wife applied the peel and stick tiles directly over the existing wallpaper over 5 years ago. They are still as tight as they were when they were originally installed. As I recall the Airstream rub rail that was also part of the design was peel and stick as well. As long as your existing wall paper is still tight, there should be no reason why you would have to remove it.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Quote:

My wife applied the peel and stick tiles directly over the existing wallpaper over 5 years ago. They are still as tight as they were when they were originally installed. As I recall the Airstream rub rail that was also part of the design was peel and stick as well. As long as your existing wall paper is still tight, there should be no reason why you would have to remove it.
Thanks! I think I will try it.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I like the aluminum backsplash. It is more in keeping with the character of the trailer. I hate the wallpaper border in our trailer. It just looks cheap and cheesy. It would look better with nothing. I am appalled that they would put this in such an expensive trailer with all the nice finishes. This wallpaper border and vinyl flooring are the 2 things I don't like about our otherwise nice trailer.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
I agree with you on the wallpaper border. It reminds me of the decor in the SOB trailers we looked at. Plus, in our "new to us" 2004 it has been damaged behind the faucet. Not really a material that holds up to the water in that area it seems. I was so excited to see these peel and stick aluminum looking mosaics today at Lowes. They are thin, lightweight, and will not require grout. I think I will try to peel off the border, but leave the other wallcovering and stick this on top. If I get it installed I will take pictures. You can see the product here. http://www.threedwall.com/mosaic/EKB-03-110.html. The detailed instructions say that "construction adhesive" may be needed on cut tiles. I wonder what that would be? Liquid nails?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Well, we installed the peel and stick stainless mosaics behind the bathroom faucet today. It is hard to get it lined up correctly, but seems to adhere to the wall really well. You need to push all the tiles together as you put it on the wall so there are no small gaps which don't look good. Removing the existing wallpaper border was easy. We put the mosaic on top of the vinyl that was behind the border. We used the same peel and stick mosaic to replace the mirrors on the fronts of the overhead storage compartments at the front and back of the trailer. I think it is a more updated look than the mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4250922166.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	186589   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-988712390.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	186590  

Name:	image-2789988201.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	186591  
Old 05-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That is cool. Why doesn't Jackson Center do the aluminum backsplash in the bathroom just like the kitchen on the Classic? Nothing at all would be better than the ugly, cheesy wallpaper boarder backsplash we have now. When it starts to curl and peel it is out of here.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
Well, we installed the peel and stick stainless mosaics behind the bathroom faucet today. It is hard to get it lined up correctly, but seems to adhere to the wall really well. You need to push all the tiles together as you put it on the wall so there are no small gaps which don't look good. Removing the existing wallpaper border was easy. We put the mosaic on top of the vinyl that was behind the border. We used the same peel and stick mosaic to replace the mirrors on the fronts of the overhead storage compartments at the front and back of the trailer. I think it is a more updated look than the mirrors.
Looks great! I just purchased the same tiles at Lowes to replace the wallpaper border in the lavatory. I need to make some cuts through the individual tiles to go around an electrical outlet and my water heater switch. Did you make any cuts through the individual metal tiles, and if so, what did you use? I think the metal is thin enough that I can use a razor knife, but I'll defer to the expert!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Yes, we had to cut through some of the tiles. I googled the brand name and came up with some information from the manufacturer as well as some discussion posts as I recall. One recommended option was a mitre saw and my husband loved having an excuse to get one, so that is how we cut ours. You could certainly try your approach first however . The cut edges aren't terribly attractive so you want to hide those in a corner or butted up against the switch plate. The manufacturer recommended extra glue for tiny pieces but we didn't bother and so far so good.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Wolverine, thanks for the pictures and the info on where the tiles came from. My compliments to your wife for a great job of design and execution.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Spruce Grove , Alberta
my finished tile project

I finished parts of the interior refreshing early summer. the PO had made so many little holes all over the backsplash, and the dingy white paint was chipping, so I decided to cover it all.

My only fear is that the extreme cold temp in alberta may cause some failure in the stickiness. I always snowblow a path out to it, just to have a look, sigh, and dream of warmer adventures in -40 temperatures.

I used a mitre box and a hack saw, worked like a charm. still have all my fingers.

I am happy with the result.
1977 argosy minuet (20')
if the outside doesn't shine, damnit the inside will.
janel.p
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7849.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	194752  
Janel.P is offline   Reply With Quote