1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Wall cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Silver 67, thanks so much for the fabric links, those are great. I've been looking for funky cool fabrics to redo the slip covers in. That's the best stuff I've seen yet.

I think the cushions on the wall are a great idea, but I asked the hubby (because he sleeps closest to the wall, and he said he likes being next to the cool wall on hot nights! Guess it would be best to do it in fabric that can be snapped to the wall on cold nights, and rolled up and stowed away on hot ones!
I got side tracked the other day when we were out looking for material. I saw some "rug runners" I got to thinking, If we could find a design that fit the era, it would be stiff enough to use then, like on the warm nights, they could easily be stored. There is not much storage in our '75.

The best prints so far are from Beth's link!

Old 01-16-2005, 05:47 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
You got me

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
I have several snaps, 8 on each side. Some must be for the original curtains? A couple to hold the cushion on? Still looking for orginal photos. Have found but a few...
Just back from the RV show in Boston, all SOBs But I did find some insert trim for the molding!
Makes sense that they are for side pads,
The curtain snaps on mine are further up, between the curtain track...at least I think they are. I will have to take another look when I get home. That is one thing that is kind of neat about the Vintage Airstreams...you never know what the PO did or had done in terms of customizing. I have seen things done that you would swear were done by the factory but were actually done by a compentent dealer.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

The material used for this purpose in our '85 Sovereign was visually much like burlap. It too was stitched over a carboard material.

We replaced it with a piece made from a bound remnent of very, very plush carpet used in limosines. Not nearly as visually interesting as some of the options above, but very functional. As suggested above, we made a carboard patern first. Ours went in a location where there were compound curves making the fit a bit difficult.

Mark
Old 01-16-2005, 10:42 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Talking Found Pictures!!!

If anyone wants to see what the original wall pads looked like, go to www.vintageairstream.com ,go to the photo archives and look at the 65 and 66 sovereigns. Those little hummers are there for the world to see!!

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
they could easily be stored. There is not much storage in our '75.

I'm thinking they could be laid flat under the bed/gaucho cushions/mattresses for storage.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
dirty wall pads

Well, after reading all your thoughts on wall pads I would just like to add my two cents worth. My 93 Excella had pads. I took them out because they were one more thing to get dirty. They were dirty when we bought the unit. I did check with and upholsterer before pitching them. It would have cost about $100. plus the fabric for the two pads that I took out. They really did not have much insulation value. So out they went. I like it clean. I haven't missed them one bit.
One other thing. I also pitched the dirty bolsters on the sides of the newly recovered sofa. My husband made beautiful oak (to match the rest of the cabinets) side compartments with flat tops that open up for storage. Now we can set a glass or dinner on the new arms. With the new oak floor, new recovered sofa, new side compartments and reupholstered valances (to match sofa) the unit looks like new. Love it.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
kytyme do you have a picture

Your side sofa treatment sounds very cool and functional. I sure would like to see it. I also thought of using the foil bubble wrap insulation cut in a strip and covered with matching fabric or sleeve. It seems if you just slip it a bit behind the mattress and wall it will conform to the curves (we have rear twins) and can be rolled up or laid flat for storage. I did actually carry some on this last trip and just stuck it there to test whether it cut down on the draft seeping upward from the underbed storage compartments that open out to the outside and it worked like a charm. However we purchased bed warmer mattress pads that operate on 12v or electric and were quite toasty and then the wall felt pretty good to cool off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtyme
Well, after reading all your thoughts on wall pads I would just like to add my two cents worth. My 93 Excella had pads. I took them out because they were one more thing to get dirty. They were dirty when we bought the unit. I did check with and upholsterer before pitching them. It would have cost about $100. plus the fabric for the two pads that I took out. They really did not have much insulation value. So out they went. I like it clean. I haven't missed them one bit.
One other thing. I also pitched the dirty bolsters on the sides of the newly recovered sofa. My husband made beautiful oak (to match the rest of the cabinets) side compartments with flat tops that open up for storage. Now we can set a glass or dinner on the new arms. With the new oak floor, new recovered sofa, new side compartments and reupholstered valances (to match sofa) the unit looks like new. Love it.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
KMtyme, I'd love to see some pictures of what's been done. Sounds delightful!

My brain has kind of exploded with the possibilities of materials to use for these side wall cushions (and I don't even have twin beds I have gauchos!). I am not fond of vinyl (let's not go there again) so I think of fabrics, possibly quilted to improve the insulation value. I think of a removable, washable envelope with velcro or zipper closure that a piece of cardboard or maybe thin, rigid foam could be inserted into with the snaps to hold it in place.

Carol do you think that bubble insulation could be added to the underneath side of gaucho or bed?

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
dirty old wall pads

hi..I will be glad to send pics, but the digital is with my hubby right now. Can take pics tonight and post asap. ps. I love being able to set a drink or a dish down.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:15 PM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Reflectix

Eljay,
Here is the REAL Thing when it comes to insulating bubble wrap! and it is aluminum to boot This what I use to insulate my popup in cold weather, insulate hot boxes for tempature sensitive materials on my jobsites, etc, etc. I was also being discussed in another thread as a possible insulation for an AS that was undergoing the full monty.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I was thinking

that it might be a good idea to try insulating either the top of the bed storage from underneath or the outside storage door or both, either with this wrap like wahoonc linked (I think I found a roll at Home Depot or the equivalent like material) or a solid foam insulation. My husband had glued the solid insulation after cutting to fit over the wheel wells ducts on our Towlites and it made a nice difference. I had had the bubble wrap left over from making panels for in between the day/niters and windows and roof vents in my never ending quest to be as WARM as possible. Going out this month I just grabbed everything I could think of, just in case. Got hit with the snow in Flagstaff, then Grand Canyon, and the wind in Amarillo. Next trip South and warm---for sure!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
KMtyme, I'd love to see some pictures of what's been done. Sounds delightful!

My brain has kind of exploded with the possibilities of materials to use for these side wall cushions (and I don't even have twin beds I have gauchos!). I am not fond of vinyl (let's not go there again) so I think of fabrics, possibly quilted to improve the insulation value. I think of a removable, washable envelope with velcro or zipper closure that a piece of cardboard or maybe thin, rigid foam could be inserted into with the snaps to hold it in place.

Carol do you think that bubble insulation could be added to the underneath side of gaucho or bed?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:36 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bedroom Wall Comfort Covers

While out checking on the Airstream, I took the opportunity to snap a few photos of the Bedroom Wall Comfort Covers that were a part of the interior refurbishment completed by Fowler Interiors (my original tan vinyl bedroom wall comfort covers were beyond rescuing). The new bedroom wall comfort covers have been secured with stainless steel automotive trim screws to ease removal for cleaning (the fabric is machine wash/dry).

The photo below is of the portion of the bedroom wall comfort cover that is visible with the innerspring mattress in place:

The photo below is taken from the head of the bed to illustrate the amount of padding that was included with the replacement bedroom wall comfort covers by Fowler Interiors.

The photo below is of the bedroom wall comfort covers with the mattress removed.

I had originally wanted to go with white vinyl, but Arlene convinced me to try the fabric - - thus far, it has been a perfect solution (and I am sure that it will be well into the future as the installation is more than three years old).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Wall cushions

Hey! Thanks, this has been driving us nutty. I like your choice of fabric as well. Looks like I have more scouting to find material. Now the flooring is done I can concentrate on a new project
Old 01-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Now I am thinking that this might be a good idea even with gauchos. (I pretty much know whose backside is likely to get against the aluminum) Trying to decide how to suspend said wall cushions without rivets or screws in the aluminum...Perhaps hook it to the underside of the shelf behind the gaucho?...?

And I like the looks and potential for that bubble wrap insulation. Egad! You all have created a monster here!

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.