Old 02-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Three comments if I may:
1. Zoomin--Wow! That leather is fantastic! I just showed the photo to my husband and he is salivating. It is stunning! I wish...

2. You might want to be cautious with vinyl; depending on the kind/quality, etc., it can tear along the seamlines over time with stress, with the stitches acting like a perforated line along which it tears. To sew a heavy upholstery vinyl often takes a heavy-duty machine.

3. It is a good idea to cover your cushions with first a cover made of muslin or white sheets or something similar, with zippers, and these undercovers make it easy to pull your real covers off and on for washing without damaging the cushions. The best cushions are usually a dense, high-quality foam wrapped in a stiff quilt batting, so pulling covers off and on can damage the wrapping. Making the muslin undercovers also serves as your practice run so you can get the real covers a better fit without messing up the more expensive fabric. Sew the undercovers with ordinary seams, but make real covers with welted cording sewn into the seams: helps keep the covers and cushions in the same shape and looks very professional.

IMHO and experience!

Vivian

Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Love the new leather upholstery Zoomin! I just had our's done -- we had all new high quality foam put on it and I got an amazing deal on some high quality ultrasuede at Triad Fabrics in Roseville...if anyone is in the Bay Area it's well worth a trip .. they have so much fabric and the outlet in the back has some real bargains -- even real leather! I got 10 yards of gorgeous choco brown ultrasuede for $80 -- looked the same or better than what Joannes' had at $30/yard. It then cost us $650 for new foam and the upholstery work but we had a place do it that has done work for us before and they do a fabulous job! I'll post pics when we get our AS back from the renovation shop and re-install it!

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner

One advantage of starting from scratch is that you can build to fit what works for you. Start by testing the space with existing chairs that you find comfortable. We modeled ours after some Ikea folding chairs as far as seat height and angle of the slope of the back.

Use a dense foam so that it doesn't squish too much. Plan on your finished "seat height" to be an inch or two less than the top of the foam.

To keep the fabric tight over the foam, there are a couple of tricks. One is to use real upholstery cloth. That has been woven or backed so that it won't stretch. It is often made of stain resistant stuff as well. Discount upholstery fabric can be bought through newtoto.com, and they'll send free swatches too.

The other upholstery trick is to cut your foam about half an inch large in each dimension than your finished cushion will be. This keeps the foam pushing out on the fabric. It also pre-compresses the foam and makes the seat a bit more firm.

I put zippers in the back of all my cushions using zipper by the yard from JoAnns. Each zipper goes beyond each end to make it easier to peel it off and on the foam. I sewed the cushion edges in four main pieces and attached those before sewing on the fronts and backs. My blog (below my signature) has some pictures, but no diagrams.

It's not too hard to do alone, but it takes a lot of measuring, remeasuring and head scratching.

Hello webspinner...

I'd love to see your pics on your cushions but don't see your .sig included in your post to get the URL. Can you post it (or send in a PM?) please? I'm interested in seeing what you mean by having each zipper go beyond the end of each piece of foam....

All,

, I'm now looking at making my bench seat (that converts to bed) cushions the normal way- each a distinct pillow with zippers so they can be removed and washed (versus attaching directly to the wood seat panels as was originally done). In order to make sure the cushions don't move around while sleeping on them, though, I'm thinking of sewing a strip of velcro around the perimeter of the cushion on the bottom side that can then attach to the complimentary strop of Velcro stuck to the the wood seat panel.

What do folks think? Will that work? Are there any other methods out there that folks have used?

Thanks much!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
There are pictures on my blog (Tin Pickle Adventures) but there isn't much detail on there about the zipper construction. I was too busy trying to get them ready that I didn't take progress pictures.

I can send you a pm with a written explanation of what I did, if you'd like, but I don't want to hijack the thread with my sewing details.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Good foam is a great investment, you can always recover - (and i don't care if you have a 50% off coupon - JoAnn Fabrics does NOT have good foam)
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Hi all,

Happy to report the cushions turned out better than expected (I was worried seeing its been 26+ yrs since I've last sewed!). While the foam was spendy these things are going to be a dream to sleep on next weekend when we take our 1967 globetrotter out for her maiden voyage! well worth the investment I think.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3204041106.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	460.7 KB
ID:	154733  
Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1977 23' Safari
1986 34' Limited
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqmama View Post
Hi all,

Happy to report the cushions turned out better than expected (I was worried seeing its been 26+ yrs since I've last sewed!). While the foam was spendy these things are going to be a dream to sleep on next weekend when we take our 1967 globetrotter out for her maiden voyage! well worth the investment I think.....
Wow!! Gorgeous! I love the whole decorating scheme and it looks very professional. Congratulations! Hope you're enjoying the maiden voyage.

Vivian
Too many vintage A/Ss...
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Upholstery, remove or replace

We just picked up our recovered couch and dinette from the upholstery shop. The inspiration for the couch was from the Dorsey Adirondack Airstream. You can see the before and after pictures. The green cast is caused by the lighting in the shop. It's actually more of a medium brown. As soon as the new flooring goes in, everything will be installed and I'll post more pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dorsey Airstream Living Area RS.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	155136   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339 RS.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	155137  

Attached Images
File Type: bmp AS 13 RS.bmp (216.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I did an upholstery job on the cheap. First I started with a faux suede futon cover and zipped my gaucho cushion, existing cloth covering still intact, inside. At that point the job looked 90% done.

For the rest of it I removed the bases for the arm rests, and the long horizontal piece below the seat cushion. I got a sofa throw cover that was made of the same material and cut pieces which I used to wrap and staple over the existing upholstery on those.

The removable arm rests required the most detail, cutting and sewing pieces to fit over them, then stapling under the bottom edges. The whole process took maybe an hour.

My wife gets credit for the sewing, and buying the futon cover which gave me the idea for finishing off the rest of the gaucho.

Christopher
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AS living room.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	155146  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bganso
We just picked up our recovered couch and dinette from the upholstery shop. The inspiration for the couch was from the Dorsey Adirondack Airstream. You can see the before and after pictures. The green cast is caused by the lighting in the shop. It's actually more of a medium brown. As soon as the new flooring goes in, everything will be installed and I'll post more pics.

Wow, the interior is simply gorgeous. I'm going to have to show a pal of mine as he is keen on having an all wood interior of his next camper.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd
I did an upholstery job on the cheap. First I started with a faux suede futon cover and zipped my gaucho cushion, existing cloth covering still intact, inside. At that point the job looked 90% done.

For the rest of it I removed the bases for the arm rests, and the long horizontal piece below the seat cushion. I got a sofa throw cover that was made of the same material and cut pieces which I used to wrap and staple over the existing upholstery on those.

The removable arm rests required the most detail, cutting and sewing pieces to fit over them, then stapling under the bottom edges. The whole process took maybe an hour.

My wife gets credit for the sewing, and buying the futon cover which gave me the idea for finishing off the rest of the gaucho.

Christopher
Those look so comfy! And only an hour for the whole thing!? Wow, that's great! I was near tears after mine..... I may not know how to do something at first but i find if I set my mind to it I can usually get it done. It ust takes me *A LOT* longer!!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
For clarification, the picture with the wood interior is NOT our AS. It was done by Craig Dorsey, a real craftsman. Pictures of his work have been posted several times on the forums. My wife loves it and is trying to incorporate many of design features into our remodel. I posted before and after pics to show that the same could be accomplished by a good upholstery shop and a "stock" AS flipover sofa.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Shreveport , Louisiana
More upholstery questions

Did you guys put zippers in so they could be removed to launder? What about a good dose of scotchguard? We'll be sleeping on both of our benches and the goucho, plus we have very young children. I can sew - love making and using piping. I've been pricing the supplies and decided to call in a local upholstery guy to give me his estimate. He may not be much more money for higher quality supplies. We'll see. Jennifer
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Our upholstrey guy put zippers in the back cushions, but not the bottoms. Since we used faux leather they should wipe off easily, so no laundry required.