Old 07-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
Upholstery Mystery

I am in the process of redoing a 1960 Tradewind. I have about got the floor done and have begun work on the cabinets and beds. I have no cushions or upholstery of any kind. The front pullout bed is a mystery to me. What kind of cushion does this have? Are there any patterns out there for making cushions? Is there an easy alternative? The bunk beds seem simple enough, but does anyone have any thoughts on cushions for that?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Check the classifieds. For instance Airstream Trailer & Airstream Motorhome Classifieds - Interior from a 64 Airstream Safari - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds.

Good Luck!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Some fabric stores carry the cushions. They rate them in densities. 34 is kind of a standard but 40 or 44 is better. I have 3" foam cushions on my dinette and I can't get my butt to touch the plywood with them. they are 44. And 4" on the couch because we sleep on it and we like it being firm... 44 there too.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I can't tell you what the PO of my 1960 used for foam. There are 4 separate pieces to the gaucho. The base cushion, the back which is mounted on plywood and has hooks that catch to the shelf behind, and two separate arms which are padded and upholstered on plywood base.
I know others have reproduced these gauchos and I've seen posts to that effect on the forums. But on a quick search I didn't find them right off. It's probably buried somewhere in the Upholstery and Finishes subforum.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
I know you posted a couple of days ago. I noticed you lived in Ohio. I'm restoring a 1975 Argosy. I wasn't sure if you were planning on doing the work yourself or not. I'm going to have a furniture store that is close to you to re-do both the dinette and the bed. They will do the foam and everything. The owners are Airstream owners, so they know what to measure and understand how things should work/look. They do the foam and the upholstery right in their store. I'm only in the stage of picking out fabric, but I'm going to take the Argosy right to the store for measurements, etc. I know the owners and would be glad to have them work with you too. Reply to me if you're interested in more information. You could get the foam and fabric through them as well if you want to do the major work yourself...
Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
I would be really interested in more info. I am doing most of the work myself so every little bit of help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
My husband and I are doing some things on our 75 Argosy ourselves, but we didn't even want to pretend that we could do the upholstery. Neither of us can sew at all. I'm going to have Edwards Furniture in Springboro, Ohio do ours. That's not super close to you in Fairfield, but not too far. The reason I've been happy with them is 1. They actually own an Airstream, so they know what I am talking about. 2. They will let me bring the trailer to their store so they can do the measurements for me.

They have a complete upholstery shop and have 1000's of samples for upholstery fabric with people who can help you figure out what will look decent and what will last. If you are doing it yourself, they can get the fabric for you. Or they'll let you bring the fabric and will do the work only. They are pretty flexible and very helpful.

Their phone number is (937) 746-4559. If you do call, ask for Pat or David Edwards and tell them Anita Carroll told you to call. They know me and will take very good care of you. If you decide to just stop by they are close to I-75, on route 73. Take 75 north to the Springboro exit (exit 38). Make a right off the exit and the store is about a half mile on the left (past KFC and Taco Bell). I don't have my final pricing yet, but I know getting the upholstery done professionally with a good fabric isn't going to be cheap. But I want it done right, and I can't do it myself. I also want it to be the last time I get it done, so I'm splurging now. If you want to wait I can probably tell you my pricing in the next few weeks. I'm buying commercial grade fabric on my own, but having them do the work for the dinette, the two twin beds and the panoramic curtains. Let me know if you want to know pricing. That's one option for getting it done. Not necessarily the cheapest, I suspect.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
Thanks for the info. I'd love to know about pricing and how it looks. I am on a budget that is running pretty tight, but I might be able to sneak a little extra funding in for a great product like this sounds. I appreciate the help.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #9

sofa, pullout storage under sofa from a 1995 excella

I have a sofa and underseat storage from a 1995 airstream excella for sale give me a call if you are interested. 719-229-8003