Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fort McMurray , Canada
Upholstery - how much fabric?

We are thinking about changing all of the up upholstery in our 1989 34’ Limited and we have a few questions. First of all, how much fabric will we need to buy to change out the upholstery on the cushions in the kitchen and to completely reupholster the goucho? Has anyone done this and if so how hard is it to do?
a-wanabbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Upholstery

We just finished reupholstering our 87 34' and are really pleased. I had a professional upholsterer do it and we added foam to make it more comfortable. I have all the receipts and will be glad to get back to you on it. I will tell you that we bought very good quality material and spent more than we had planned, but we plan to keep it for the long term and spend a lot of time in it so we did it the way we wanted it done.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Lizzy
We are thinking about changing all of the up upholstery in our 1989 34’ Limited and we have a few questions. First of all, how much fabric will we need to buy to change out the upholstery on the cushions in the kitchen and to completely reupholster the goucho? Has anyone done this and if so how hard is it to do?
Get out your tape measure! If you are planning on recovering what you have I would suggest replacing the foam with the green high density foam. I have learned that whatever you figure for material yardage get at least 25% more. Even if you plan really well you end up with odd lot pieces and it never fails, when you go back to the fabric store for just that last bit more, they are sold out!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
First of all, how much fabric will we need to buy
Figure on about 5 yards for a gaucho
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
Fabric Needs

Quote:
I, too, am interested in the amount of fabric needed to recover fabric surfaces in a 96, 34 ft Excella, that would be couch, dining cushions and the outside side of dining booth. I go often to Bangkok and India have wonderful sources for fabric there must make sure that I purchase enough.

For those who get to Buenos Aires, there are several shops there which sells beautiful leather hides for 75% (about) less that US price. About $12 to $15 a square yard.
Arizona Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Guys
I, too, am interested in the amount of fabric needed to recover fabric surfaces in a 96, 34 ft Excella, that would be couch, dining cushions and the outside side of dining booth. I go often to Bangkok and India have wonderful sources for fabric there must make sure that I purchase enough.

For those who get to Buenos Aires, there are several shops there which sells beautiful leather hides for 75% (about) less that US price. About $12 to $15 a square yard.
These foreign places...how do I get some???

I'd like to recover my dinette seats and backs on my 2004 Bambi with leather.

Also does anyone have an idea how many yards I would need to do this?

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Upholstery

I am in the process of re-doing my goucho yet once again. It is nowhere near finished, Im waiting on my zippers to get here. I will post a picture of what I am doing and would be glad to help any way I can. Just remember it doesnt have a zipper yet so the material is loose. It really isnt hard to do if you can sew at all. My couch is 77" length by 6" deep by 22" width. It took more than 5 yards, maybe the way I am doing it. I am doing what is called boxed cushions. you can get instructions from the web. On the bottom, I had my husband cut 1/4" plywood and covered it with batting and material to hide the ugly tambour doors. He attached some hinges to the top and it was done! Very easy and makes it look more like a couch. I will post more pictures when it is done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couch1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	31900   Click image for larger version

Name:	couch2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	31901  

Click image for larger version

Name:	couch3.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	31902  
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It's really not too hard to figure it out...

I just measured all the sides of my upholstered pieces, added seam allowances and drew them out on graph paper to scale - like (1) 1/4" square equals 2". It helps to take pictures of the cushions & number the pieces. Then lay them out as you would cut them from the fabric on a second piece of paper with the width of the fabric marked on it and yard lines calculated, you need a long piece of paper or tape several together...make sure you lay all the pieces all going the same way if you are using a patterned fabric or that you allow extra if you are matching print, stripes or patterns. Then figure out how many yards you will need by counting the "yard squares" after all your pieces are laid out.

Usually, a gaucho is about 5-6 yards but they are all made so differently depending on their construction - are the bottom of the cushions covered? Are there exposed backs? or at they gathered or tucked? So you really need to either figure it out yourself for your particular layout or have a professional calculate it for you - then go shopping!

We needed 11-1/2 yards for our gaucho & dinette...I bought 13 "just in case". Used the leftovers to make pillows and have little extra in case a cushion gets damaged.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
If you know anyone going to Buenos Aires the best shop for tained and finished hides is across the side street of the Sheraton Hotel which faces Corrientes Av. In Bangkok, best is Jim Thompson Outlet, Sukumvit Soi 93 about 90% less than these very high end fabrics sell in US (silks and cottons only)(JimThompson.com gives you as sample. There are also excellent places in Bangkok to have drapes, etc made, again about 75% less than US most will ship. When we need to replace drapes in AS we have ours made there, of course taking great measurments and necessary hooks. The lady I use makes for Four Seasons and Marriott Hotels. You could probably go there, get fabric, take to her and have it shipped and pay for air and hotel for two for week and still cost less that US (I suppose that would assume you own one of larger ASs, not a Bambi 16. In India, stay in a 5* hotel and ask manager where they buy their soft good and you will find best quality and choice.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
It's really not too hard to figure it out...

I just measured all the sides of my upholstered pieces, added seam allowances and drew them out on graph paper to scale - like (1) 1/4" square equals 2". It helps to take pictures of the cushions & number the pieces. Then lay them out as you would cut them from the fabric on a second piece of paper with the width of the fabric marked on it and yard lines calculated, you need a long piece of paper or tape several together...make sure you lay all the pieces all going the same way if you are using a patterned fabric or that you allow extra if you are matching print, stripes or patterns. Then figure out how many yards you will need by counting the "yard squares" after all your pieces are laid out.

Usually, a gaucho is about 5-6 yards but they are all made so differently depending on their construction - are the bottom of the cushions covered? Are there exposed backs? or at they gathered or tucked? So you really need to either figure it out yourself for your particular layout or have a professional calculate it for you - then go shopping!

We needed 11-1/2 yards for our gaucho & dinette...I bought 13 "just in case". Used the leftovers to make pillows and have little extra in case a cushion gets damaged.

Shari
Your need was almost exactly what I had thought using various online sites, and rough estmates on my on. Thanks

Ralph & Richard
Old 02-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Green Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
If you are planning on recovering what you have I would suggest replacing the foam with the green high density foam.
Where do you get the green high density foam. We are about ready to recover or furniture and I would like to get new foam. We are having a professional do the actual upholstery but I want to know what I am talking about before we go ahead with the project Thanks
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Smile foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan
Where do you get the green high density foam. We are about ready to recover or furniture and I would like to get new foam. We are having a professional do the actual upholstery but I want to know what I am talking about before we go ahead with the project Thanks
Hello I replaced all my foam with hi density out door foam that is used in outdoor furniture. it will not suck up spills like the foam that is in your unit. I got the foam from a upholster. it is 4 in but is a lot more comfortable than the 5 in. that was there, inclouding the bedding foam..
Bob
Old 02-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
I saw some of the high density foam at Joanns fabrics the other day. They will cut it to whatever size you need. It is priced per yd per thickness. I believe thet thickest they had was 5" and it was about 25 something a yard.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
cass , Texas
Tammy is very helpfull in this area. My wife is redoing ours right now. Found a great deal on some fabric. She was able to reuse the old zippers. I am worried about her trying to do the curtains. They look very complicated to me. I gave up trying to change her mind. However, she doesn't try to stop me on my insane projects.
krazeekalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

I recently had all the beds refinished in my 76 soverign. It has the "L" shaped sofa configuration in the livingroom. I also had the sofa (bed) in the center bedroom done. I bought 20 yards of material plus another 10 yards of a muslin-type material to do the long cushions that aren't seen but hold up the backs. went to a discount store.. all cost about $125 and i got top-grade material. hope this helps.
krwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Fort McMurray , Canada
Hi there, I am not trying to be rude, but i initially posted the first question and a couple of people have highjacked my thread with other quesations or concerns. If you have other questions can you please post them seperatly.
a-wanabbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Tin Lizzy sorry if you feel stepped on, but three people answered your question directly, having other people post variations to your original questions mean you posted a hot topic. It really is a backhanded compliment. Is there something else you need to know that has not been addressed?
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
I have a 65 Safari and re-upholstered all three beds, and back rests (both sides) and did not use any plywood backing and it took about 15 Yards. I ordered 17 yards and I think I have enough left over for a couple of throw pillows.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ion-28985.html

Of course I have no gouchos..

Make sure you follow the advice to order extra...Rick and Sandi are correct, if you dont get enough the first time, there is not one single chance the shop will have any more.

Hope this helps.
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #19
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan
I found ours at Joanne's Fabrics. They have stores around here but are also on-line; www.joann.com
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
I'm ready do do mine. Anyone try leather.

Steve
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote