Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
Tin Lizzy's Avatar
 
1989 34' Limited
Fort McMurray , Alberta
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 57
Images: 7
Upholstery - how much fabric?

We are thinking about changing all of the up upholstery in our 1989 34 Limited and we have a few questions. First of all, how much fabric will we need to buy to change out the upholstery on the cushions in the kitchen and to completely reupholster the goucho? Has anyone done this and if so how hard is it to do?
__________________

__________________
James, Dee and Ms.Tina
Air #12102
Tin Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 374
Images: 7
Upholstery

We just finished reupholstering our 87 34' and are really pleased. I had a professional upholsterer do it and we added foam to make it more comfortable. I have all the receipts and will be glad to get back to you on it. I will tell you that we bought very good quality material and spent more than we had planned, but we plan to keep it for the long term and spend a lot of time in it so we did it the way we wanted it done.
__________________

__________________
2000 34' Limited with Sofa Slide
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Turbodiesel 4X4 Quad Cab Hensley Hitch Pressure Pro Centramatics
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Always Airstreaming!
 
rickandsandi's Avatar
 
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,114
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Lizzy
We are thinking about changing all of the up upholstery in our 1989 34 Limited and we have a few questions. First of all, how much fabric will we need to buy to change out the upholstery on the cushions in the kitchen and to completely reupholster the goucho? Has anyone done this and if so how hard is it to do?
Get out your tape measure! If you are planning on recovering what you have I would suggest replacing the foam with the green high density foam. I have learned that whatever you figure for material yardage get at least 25% more. Even if you plan really well you end up with odd lot pieces and it never fails, when you go back to the fabric store for just that last bit more, they are sold out!
__________________
J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Lumatic's Avatar

 
1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,642
Images: 16
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Lizzy
First of all, how much fabric will we need to buy
Figure on about 5 yards for a gaucho
__________________
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21
Fabric Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Lizzy
We are thinking about changing all of the up upholstery in our 1989 34 Limited and we have a few questions. First of all, how much fabric will we need to buy to change out the upholstery on the cushions in the kitchen and to completely reupholster the goucho? Has anyone done this and if so how hard is it to do?
I, too, am interested in the amount of fabric needed to recover fabric surfaces in a 96, 34 ft Excella, that would be couch, dining cushions and the outside side of dining booth. I go often to Bangkok and India have wonderful sources for fabric there must make sure that I purchase enough.

For those who get to Buenos Aires, there are several shops there which sells beautiful leather hides for 75% (about) less that US price. About $12 to $15 a square yard.
__________________
Arizona Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Babeebloos's Avatar
 
1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 766
Images: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Guys
I, too, am interested in the amount of fabric needed to recover fabric surfaces in a 96, 34 ft Excella, that would be couch, dining cushions and the outside side of dining booth. I go often to Bangkok and India have wonderful sources for fabric there must make sure that I purchase enough.

For those who get to Buenos Aires, there are several shops there which sells beautiful leather hides for 75% (about) less that US price. About $12 to $15 a square yard.
These foreign places...how do I get some???

I'd like to recover my dinette seats and backs on my 2004 Bambi with leather.

Also does anyone have an idea how many yards I would need to do this?
__________________
Officer says ..."Step AWAY from the toaster Ma'am"

http://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Silver Threads's Avatar
 
2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 905
Images: 23
Upholstery

I am in the process of re-doing my goucho yet once again. It is nowhere near finished, Im waiting on my zippers to get here. I will post a picture of what I am doing and would be glad to help any way I can. Just remember it doesnt have a zipper yet so the material is loose. It really isnt hard to do if you can sew at all. My couch is 77" length by 6" deep by 22" width. It took more than 5 yards, maybe the way I am doing it. I am doing what is called boxed cushions. you can get instructions from the web. On the bottom, I had my husband cut 1/4" plywood and covered it with batting and material to hide the ugly tambour doors. He attached some hinges to the top and it was done! Very easy and makes it look more like a couch. I will post more pictures when it is done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couch1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	31900   Click image for larger version

Name:	couch2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	31901  

Click image for larger version

Name:	couch3.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	31902  
__________________
John & Tammy Adams
Silver Threads Custom RV Curtains
2000 Airstream Excella | AIR 15902
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
InsideOut's Avatar

 
1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,793
Images: 108
It's really not too hard to figure it out...

I just measured all the sides of my upholstered pieces, added seam allowances and drew them out on graph paper to scale - like (1) 1/4" square equals 2". It helps to take pictures of the cushions & number the pieces. Then lay them out as you would cut them from the fabric on a second piece of paper with the width of the fabric marked on it and yard lines calculated, you need a long piece of paper or tape several together...make sure you lay all the pieces all going the same way if you are using a patterned fabric or that you allow extra if you are matching print, stripes or patterns. Then figure out how many yards you will need by counting the "yard squares" after all your pieces are laid out.

Usually, a gaucho is about 5-6 yards but they are all made so differently depending on their construction - are the bottom of the cushions covered? Are there exposed backs? or at they gathered or tucked? So you really need to either figure it out yourself for your particular layout or have a professional calculate it for you - then go shopping!

We needed 11-1/2 yards for our gaucho & dinette...I bought 13 "just in case". Used the leftovers to make pillows and have little extra in case a cushion gets damaged.

Shari
__________________
Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21
If you know anyone going to Buenos Aires the best shop for tained and finished hides is across the side street of the Sheraton Hotel which faces Corrientes Av. In Bangkok, best is Jim Thompson Outlet, Sukumvit Soi 93 about 90% less than these very high end fabrics sell in US (silks and cottons only)(JimThompson.com gives you as sample. There are also excellent places in Bangkok to have drapes, etc made, again about 75% less than US most will ship. When we need to replace drapes in AS we have ours made there, of course taking great measurments and necessary hooks. The lady I use makes for Four Seasons and Marriott Hotels. You could probably go there, get fabric, take to her and have it shipped and pay for air and hotel for two for week and still cost less that US (I suppose that would assume you own one of larger ASs, not a Bambi 16. In India, stay in a 5* hotel and ask manager where they buy their soft good and you will find best quality and choice.
__________________
Arizona Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
 
1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 21
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
It's really not too hard to figure it out...

I just measured all the sides of my upholstered pieces, added seam allowances and drew them out on graph paper to scale - like (1) 1/4" square equals 2". It helps to take pictures of the cushions & number the pieces. Then lay them out as you would cut them from the fabric on a second piece of paper with the width of the fabric marked on it and yard lines calculated, you need a long piece of paper or tape several together...make sure you lay all the pieces all going the same way if you are using a patterned fabric or that you allow extra if you are matching print, stripes or patterns. Then figure out how many yards you will need by counting the "yard squares" after all your pieces are laid out.

Usually, a gaucho is about 5-6 yards but they are all made so differently depending on their construction - are the bottom of the cushions covered? Are there exposed backs? or at they gathered or tucked? So you really need to either figure it out yourself for your particular layout or have a professional calculate it for you - then go shopping!

We needed 11-1/2 yards for our gaucho & dinette...I bought 13 "just in case". Used the leftovers to make pillows and have little extra in case a cushion gets damaged.

Shari
Your need was almost exactly what I had thought using various online sites, and rough estmates on my on. Thanks

Ralph & Richard
__________________
Arizona Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
GoNomad's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Anderson , South Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 138
Images: 5
Green Foam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
If you are planning on recovering what you have I would suggest replacing the foam with the green high density foam.
Where do you get the green high density foam. We are about ready to recover or furniture and I would like to get new foam. We are having a professional do the actual upholstery but I want to know what I am talking about before we go ahead with the project Thanks
__________________
Nick & Holly
1975 Argosy 28 Rear Bath 1963 Shasta Airflyte
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 5.3L 4x4
"We've got PBS minds in a MTV world" J.B.
GoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
bobchevy89's Avatar
 
1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 264
Smile foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan
Where do you get the green high density foam. We are about ready to recover or furniture and I would like to get new foam. We are having a professional do the actual upholstery but I want to know what I am talking about before we go ahead with the project Thanks
Hello I replaced all my foam with hi density out door foam that is used in outdoor furniture. it will not suck up spills like the foam that is in your unit. I got the foam from a upholster. it is 4 in but is a lot more comfortable than the 5 in. that was there, inclouding the bedding foam..
Bob
__________________
just want to camp happy
bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Silver Threads's Avatar
 
2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 905
Images: 23
I saw some of the high density foam at Joanns fabrics the other day. They will cut it to whatever size you need. It is priced per yd per thickness. I believe thet thickest they had was 5" and it was about 25 something a yard.
__________________
John & Tammy Adams
Silver Threads Custom RV Curtains
2000 Airstream Excella | AIR 15902
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 27' Overlander
cass , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 75
Tammy is very helpfull in this area. My wife is redoing ours right now. Found a great deal on some fabric. She was able to reuse the old zippers. I am worried about her trying to do the curtains. They look very complicated to me. I gave up trying to change her mind. However, she doesn't try to stop me on my insane projects.
__________________

__________________
krazeekalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upholstery in 2006 25ft Safari FB SE Foiled Again Off Topic Forum 12 07-25-2006 08:40 PM
cleaning upholstery Tin Lizzy Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 6 04-22-2006 10:44 AM
"Bed" Upholstery Craig Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 2 08-14-2002 12:04 PM
upholstery colors Mitch Our Community 1 04-09-2002 12:48 AM
Before and After ALANSD Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 4 03-24-2002 03:52 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.