Old 03-26-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Upholstery $?

We just bought a (new to us) '97 Excella. We have tons of plans for updating it including having the sofa and dinette re-upholstered.

Has anyone had this professionally done and what did you pay?
If you did it yourself was it easy or something you'd hire a professional to do next time?

Steve Heywood
Waddell, AZ
1999 19' Bambi (SOLD)
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:00 PM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
We paid to have ours done twice...

The first time we just had the three gaucho's redone. I checked all over and found that the prices averaged around $1000 for retail unpholstry shops.

Then we found a little ol' lady who worked out of her house. She was always booked and very busy. But she quoted the same job for $525. Did excellent work with excellent material.

This year I converted one of the couches to a dinnete and had the same shop convert the gaucho cushions to dinette. She did it all very nicely for $125.

So, if you can ask around maybe there is someone in your town who works at home. But if they are good they will be really busy.

Good luck!

1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #3
. , .
hi steve
as part of a complete gutting and redo of my 79 motorhome, i had the sofa, swivel rocker and rear gaucho redone by a professional. turned out fantastic, better than i expected because the comfort of each piece was improved with new padding/bolsters in key locations, and i was allowed to select the material. this was done 15 years ago so what i paid isn't relevant but expect to pay essentially the price of a new piece, be it chair or sofa. re-upholstery is damn hard, hands on work and the last thing you want is some important stitch to fail or button to pop off....

there are lots of places to look for the best skills..... furniture shops, auto custom shops and solo masters. rv upgrade shops usually have someone hidden away they utilize so that's another source. antique shops usually can offer suggestions too.

just expect to pay 500-1500$ per piece and it is worth every penny. the labor is the same regardless of materials so select the best textiles that you can afford.

yes you can do it your self and if you are just recoverying big chunks of foam with denim....give it a go. i'm glad a pro did mine and it's held up better than the original, which was avocado, harvest gold and so 70's.....

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
I reupholstered our entire Argosy myself with vintage fabric I purchased on the internet. It wasn't as hard as I imagined. Most people, whether honest or just nice (more likely) say they can't believe that It was done by me - I always laugh and tell them not to look at anything too closely. To sum up my sewing skills; I had to read the manual on the vintage sewing machine grandma gave me to figure out how it works. I didn't make patterns or cut up the cushions. I took fabric pieces and pinned them tightly around the pillows, pulled them off and sewed them, then put them back on the correct way. Some of it was pretty tricky.

The upside to doing it myself: I've been told our trailer is somewhat rare so I made covers for everything. If we decide to restore her back to original hideousness, it's just a seam rip away. I spent less than $200 and the fabric is a very nice quality and I have tons left over. I wanted a "funky" fun colorful fabric, which I got. If I used a professional I would have probably tried to pick something more neutral - after all- that is an investment I wouldn't want to remake as my taste changes. As it is, I can decide to reupholster just because I feel like it. And I will definitley do it myself again.

I think ours look great......but I'm not a perfectionist. Good enough is good enough for me. But when I go into a trailer that had a professional do the work, I can see the difference and appreciate the skills that they have.If you're a perfectionist, I recommend having it done by a professional.
Afta12Delite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Had our pull-out sofa done this winter

Hi Steve,
We had our sofa redone this winter by an upholstery shop. We bought the leather online for around $750 and the labor charge was just over $700. The owner kept complaining about how difficult the sofa was to do so I guess I'm glad I didn't decide to do it myself. Plus with the cost of the leather I didn't want to make beginner's mistakes. I've posted a picture of the finished sofa on our profile along with the valances that I recovered (very easy to do). Good luck in whatever you decide to do and I hope I've been some help.
Whatever you are be a good one....'Abraham Lincoln'
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia

Originally Posted by HOT LAVA
The upside to doing it myself: I've been told our trailer is somewhat rare so I made covers for everything. If we decide to restore her back to original hideousness, it's just a seam rip away.
If you left the original fabric on, you've technically "slipcovered" - and your description of how you made the pieces is perfect technique. Congratulations. A good slipcover is as hard to do as upholstery - some are harder. Congratulations.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
Found a woman in ME who worked out of her house. Same deal, very busy but did great work. I had my stuff redone for $450 + I bought the materal @ $150.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	couch1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	13874   Click image for larger version

Name:	couch2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	13875  

RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:39 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

We are removing the front couch/bed in our 96 Excella. Good condition, but we are putting in two small recliners. I would like to get rid of this couch, if anyone is interested.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
2004 19' International CCD
Ridgefield , Connecticut
Covers for cushions

I am starting a little business doing this for Airstreams on the the past I have done upholstery and slipcovers for "regular" furniture throughout Fairfield County in CT, as well as window treatments. I'm also well versed in dressmaking skills, so I can usually handle the odd cushion shapes here and there (you should see some of the brides Ive made gowns for! some were like sofas!!) I'm currently advertising some simple slipcovers in the Classified section:
Although these are not the size you need, perhaps I can help you?
Give a hollar or email me with questions.
sparky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Originally Posted by hickory
We are removing the front couch/bed in our 96 Excella. Good condition, but we are putting in two small recliners. I would like to get rid of this couch, if anyone is interested.
Please don't take offense, especially if you have already done this, but forum members would be better served if you offered your couch here:
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:01 AM   #11
Remember Burma Shave!
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , S.Florida
Cool Speaking of drerss making ...

Saw this in a Miami newspaper classified ad, off topic but, thought you may get a chuckle!

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
we spent 2500 to recover 2 captains chairs, the fold out couch, 2 barrel chairs, and all the trim on the walls,etc that had the old fabric on it. Used the best upholstery grade automobile type fabrics, and replaced padding also.
It was more than I wanted to spend, but has looked great and served us well.
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Don't ask

My wife tells me she supplied the fabric, and a local shop, using new foam, reupholstered the gaucho & sidearms for a little under a grand.

I would complain, but I have yet to find anyone (who saw the Day 1 pix) that would agree that the original, 1967 fabric & foam did not need replacing.

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I took my two couches to a shop that upholsters classic cars and boats. They had me go to their whoesale shop to pick out the fabric (there were hundreds of choices) He did the couches and and that arm thing for $350.00. Of course this is Oklahoma, so I probably didn't pay what it would cost in a larger city.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	13981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	13983  

juel is offline   Reply With Quote