Old 01-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1972 20' Argosy 20
Alpine , California
foam info

Hi, I have over 35 years experience in the upholstery field and would like to make a couple of comments.
If you are a novice and have hinged cushions to make it is better to get someone with experience and the proper machinery to make them, they can be very frustrating. It is always good to get new foam. Foam comes in quite a few different qualities and different areas of the country have different scaling methods. Most common is the 2 number kind, first number being the weight of the foam, second being amount of deflection of one square foot by weight, without getting to technical, the heavier the foam the longer it will last and the more deflection the softer the foam. So you can have a foam suitable for sitting, back or sleeping.
All foam gets softer with use, thus you get the soft spot where you always sit, cheaper foams break down quicker. New manufacturers are going with cheaper and cheaper foams to cut costs. Foam in some brand new units are history in 2 or 3 weeks.
There is an exception to weight, some manufacturers put clay in their foam for fire retardent and to get the feel of good foam.
Foams are also graded in places by names, nimbus, suppersoft, 20 year guarantee (don't expect 20 years) etc.
This is all very confusing so if you are buying foam hear are a few tips, don't test the 1 foot square sample, feels different than the sheet, never get green or colored foam, good foam is yellow and the more rubbery it feels the better it is. The stuff with the clay in it tears easyier than the good stuff. A firm slab will last longer and give you better support than a soft one but is not very comfortable, especially on plywood, good idea is to make up a slab from different desidies glued together to give soft top and firm bottom. Always put a layer of bonded polyester (dacron) on top to give it a professional look and to protect the fabric (fabric on foam can stick and can wear its way through fabric). When making your cushions there should be a compression factor of 3/4 to 1 in all around depending on the sixe of the cushion. When cutting the boxing cut it the size of the cushion, 4" cushion 4" boxing, that will give you the desired crown. Use nylon zipper because moisture will destroy the metal one in no time.
If you are going to reuse the existing foam steam it (steamer is best), foam has a memory and it will return to its original size and you won't have any corner problems.
Good foam is expensive but not as expensive as the cheap stuff. Don't go overboard and get pincore (natural rubber), very expensive but breaks down with moisture and sunlight (whatever makes it through the fabric).
Please email me if you have any questions.
John

Old 01-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
John, thanks for a very informative and readable response (above). I'm not even in the market for recushioning, but I found all of your information interesting. I'll be sure to return to this when I am ready to redo. I bet lots of other forum readers will bookmark this! ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #31
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Just picked these up...$350
Don't really know where were going with this...kinda make it up as we go.
Of course it is retro/dinner/50's kinda theam.
Mauve walls have got to go! Along with the counter tops.

Next...couch.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #32
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
What can we do with the table?
Mauvew is really keeping me up at night....
Some shelf paper @ $2 a roll gave us many options.

White stripes down the sides...and a rool of checkers down the middle.
Guess I could mark off a 'offical' board.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud55
If anyone has any questions on the sewing and upholstery topic I will be happy to try and help you...like I said it's about the only topic on this forum that I have experience to share. I really appreciate the members that have helped me out by answering my questions!
Ok, I have a question for you. The upholstery on my gaucho's don't spring back tightly when I get up off the gaucho. In other words, there is excessive fabric with wrinkles that are left behind. Someone suggested that I wrap the foam in poly batting, i.e., the kind used to make quilts with. What is the easiest way to do this? Do I have to remove the foam and completely wrap the batting around the foam or is it possible to just slide in pre-cut pieces of batting in the top and the bottom of the foam. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:44 AM   #34
_

. , .
hi y'

wrapping the dacron/poly batting greatly reduces the likelyhood it will shift.

simply adding squares of batting (un attached) often results in bunching, lumps and so on...

after sitting a few times.

IF you're gonna add batting use upholstery grade, the quilt stuff isn't up to this application.,

in addition not all fabrics used by diy'ers behave like upholstery is expected...

and poly batting doesn't help much if that's the issue.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
IF you're gonna add batting use upholstery grade, the quilt stuff isn't up to this application.,
in addition not all fabrics used by diy'ers behave like upholstery is expected...
and poly batting doesn't help much if that's the issue.
What is "upholstery grade" batting and where do I find it.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:05 AM   #36
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
What is "upholstery grade" batting and where do I find it.
http://www.perfectfit.com/product.as...5&l1=15285&l2=

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Why not green foam?

I know this is a kinda old post, however we are currently looking for new foam for our gaucho cushions...At joAnn fabric we can get the "green" foam...why should we avoid it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by john92021
Hi, I have over 35 years experience in the upholstery field and would like to make a couple of comments.
If you are a novice and have hinged cushions to make it is better to get someone with experience and the proper machinery to make them, they can be very frustrating. It is always good to get new foam. Foam comes in quite a few different qualities and different areas of the country have different scaling methods. Most common is the 2 number kind, first number being the weight of the foam, second being amount of deflection of one square foot by weight, without getting to technical, the heavier the foam the longer it will last and the more deflection the softer the foam. So you can have a foam suitable for sitting, back or sleeping.
All foam gets softer with use, thus you get the soft spot where you always sit, cheaper foams break down quicker. New manufacturers are going with cheaper and cheaper foams to cut costs. Foam in some brand new units are history in 2 or 3 weeks.
There is an exception to weight, some manufacturers put clay in their foam for fire retardent and to get the feel of good foam.
Foams are also graded in places by names, nimbus, suppersoft, 20 year guarantee (don't expect 20 years) etc.
This is all very confusing so if you are buying foam hear are a few tips, don't test the 1 foot square sample, feels different than the sheet, never get green or colored foam, good foam is yellow and the more rubbery it feels the better it is. The stuff with the clay in it tears easyier than the good stuff. A firm slab will last longer and give you better support than a soft one but is not very comfortable, especially on plywood, good idea is to make up a slab from different desidies glued together to give soft top and firm bottom. Always put a layer of bonded polyester (dacron) on top to give it a professional look and to protect the fabric (fabric on foam can stick and can wear its way through fabric). When making your cushions there should be a compression factor of 3/4 to 1 in all around depending on the sixe of the cushion. When cutting the boxing cut it the size of the cushion, 4" cushion 4" boxing, that will give you the desired crown. Use nylon zipper because moisture will destroy the metal one in no time.
If you are going to reuse the existing foam steam it (steamer is best), foam has a memory and it will return to its original size and you won't have any corner problems.
Good foam is expensive but not as expensive as the cheap stuff. Don't go overboard and get pincore (natural rubber), very expensive but breaks down with moisture and sunlight (whatever makes it through the fabric).
Please email me if you have any questions.
John
Old 06-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskIt
Found a woman in ME who worked out of her house. Same deal, very busy but did great work. I had my stuff redone for $450 + I bought the materal @ $150.00
She did a great job! Love the look.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
You can google knoxfoam.com, they had some good prices when I called them. I too have thought about buying it at Joanns because you can get coupons for up to 50% off!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
When/how do you get coupons for JoAnns?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Threads
You can google knoxfoam.com, they had some good prices when I called them. I too have thought about buying it at Joanns because you can get coupons for up to 50% off!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CAPECOD
Hi Steve,
We had our sofa redone this winter by an upholstery shop. We bought the leather online for around $750 and the labor charge was just over $700. The owner kept complaining about how difficult the sofa was to do so I guess I'm glad I didn't decide to do it myself. Plus with the cost of the leather I didn't want to make beginner's mistakes. I've posted a picture of the finished sofa on our profile along with the valances that I recovered (very easy to do). Good luck in whatever you decide to do and I hope I've been some help.
Wow!!! That is some dťcor you have in that trailer, Steve! Who would have thought that red blue and green would work together as well as they do in your TT?

I simple adore the tiles, too. Making big notes to myself on your unit, you have inspired me. Thanks very much!

Oh, the couch: only needs one word: gorgeous!

To boldly decorate where no man has decorated before, was that your motto?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #42
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Just picked these up...$350
Don't really know where were going with this...kinda make it up as we go.
Of course it is retro/dinner/50's kinda theam.
Mauve walls have got to go! Along with the counter tops.

Next...couch.
Another great look! I love the brightness that it gives the space. What colour will you us to replace the mauve?