Juel,

Did that include new foam?

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Central Texas
Fabric

Today, we bought nine yards of outdoor grade fabric to recover the gaucho. We also picked up another two and half yards of vinyl (leather look) to cover the arms cushions and the front og the drawer. We got all the materials for $61.85. Everything was 30% off at Hancock Fabric. My mother-in-law is going to put it together for us. What a nice lady... I will post photos as she progresses.

I have another project as well. We are converting our rear twins into a bankette that breaks down into a queen bed. Anyone have a good inexpensive source for foam cushions?

Old 08-14-2005, 11:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
upholstery...cushions...drapes

Hands down the BEST fabric store in the country
http://www.maryjos.com/

Put together
upholstery, foam, cushions, drapes...the whole sheeebang

A pic of finished product here:
http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/66GT/66GT.html
The second trailer down...drapes are yellow with palm tree motif
Forest Green heavy duck upholstery.
Our beautiful little '66 GT sitting by our place
This little trailer was desperate when we found her...
Now Im proud of her.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:31 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
The upholstery is in...

Well, we just had the 2 couches in our '75 Excella reupholstered. The firm removed and installed the couches. What is really nice is our model has the "L" configuration with a short couch in the front of the AS and a table in the corner. On the streetside wall is the couch that pulls out into a bed.

The original 'stuff' had buttons on it, so we specifically asked that no buttons be put on the new material. We also had the gentlemen stuff the ends of both couches versus using those floppy pieces of material that used to serve as 'pillows.'

Finally we had the foam replaced and doubled in thickness. WOW . I feel like we're sitting a real couch now. I'll get some pictures made and post them on the website.

Anyway....the down-side is that the whole job cost $1500. I believe that I'm reincarnated from a man that lived in the 1920's---1930s because I think it should have cost $150. But wow it's some beautiful work!

Mitch
Old 11-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wink Welcome to the 21st Century!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
I believe that I'm reincarnated from a man that lived in the 1920's---1930s because I think it should have cost $150. But wow it's some beautiful work!

Mitch
When I have those moments, I try to think what I would have charged to do the work myself for somebody else...that plus the 10-15 yards of fabric, the foam and the custom work that's required usually brings be back to the ridiculousness (is that a word?) of our times.

I'm sure it looks wonderful and you will most likely get another 30 years of enjoyment from your 'new' interior. Just think, that's only 13-cents a day!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:10 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
In October we had the gaucho, side chair, and two wall panels done by a professional. All new foam and new backing. Paid a little over a hundred and fifty dollars for fabric, then was charged a cutting fee as we had not bought the fabric from the shop. Total shop bill for foam, padding, backing, dacron wrap, and three sets of extra arm covers for sofa plus chair seat and back covers (two sets) was right around six hundred dollars. So we totaled about seven fifty but had a lot of extras in that amount.
For myself, I suffered terribly from sticker shock when I began pricing out the job! I had thought four hundred should cover labor and foam..... One estimate ran over TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLARS! When that place called with the estimate, I was so taken aback that all I could do was sputtr "I dont THINK so!" and hang up! LOL!!
But for all my kvetching, I am well pleased with the job!
Now, to make the throsw pillows, and tetrim the shades, make tie backs for the drapes, and decide whether to retrim the throw rugs! Just added a lovely fruit bowl, and a basket to hold bread, rolls, and the like on the countertop! Perhaps by Spring, I will have it exactly the way I want.... but wait! That includes redoing the bedroom..... maybe I should just back off and only do the front..... VBG!!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 11-20-2005, 09:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Steve:

I'm just confirming what most of these posts are telling you: good work using the best materials will cost money.

I'm having the two sofa beds redone by an excellent husband and wife team in a small town near to were I'm having my 1976 Agosy 24 remodeled.

GMC (Cadillac/Oldsmobile) fabric "Dorchester Platinum" $95 yard $517.50 total; best, hardest foam 5 1/2” 884.00, $175 for the other grey fabric (unseen), $350.00 labour total of 1926.50 + tax Canadian.

Automobile fabric "runs" in the right direction so that you don't get wrinkles in the fabric after sitting/sleeping on it.

Sometimes you can get lucky and find someone to work for less but unless you know the fabrics and materials and can spot good or bad workmanship, it's best to go to a reliable source that won't disappoint you.

Sergei
Old 11-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Glad I live in a small city.

My gaucho is being recovered at this time. After I see some of these prices sure am glad I'm in small town Mississippi. After I bought the material 10 yards $120.00 and the lady is recovering for $150.00 and if she has to use new foam that's only $100.00 more I feel great with the price. Will send pictures as soon as i get it back.

Becky
Old 12-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Upholstery Do It Youself or Not

This is about the only topic on this forum that I know anything about. We just bought our as and it will be sometime before we get to the upholstery and sewing stage...but I thought I could offer a little insight into whether or not you should attempt to do it yourself.
Upholstery and sewing drapes is like anything else...practice makes perfect and it's not rocket science...but no one wants an amateur looking job in their coach. The fact is your first project will probably look...well...like your first job..no matter how hard you try.
So tackle a chair for your home first...once you master a small chair or something for your home you will know if you want to tackle your gaucho. If you get frustrated with that chair (that you will have picked up for practically nothing at a yard sale) you can always throw it away, pretend it never happened, and go find an upholstery shop. My first projects looked amateur to me, even though others said it looked great. This will give you the confidence to cut into that great fabric that you bought for your as.
Some tips:
-an electric kitchen knife works great for cutting foam
-cover your foam with poly batting for a nice smooth finish...it will eliminate any saggy look
-when stuffing cushions, cover them with those thin plastic bags (like the kind the drycleaner uses). They will slide in perfect and then you can remove the bags by tearing them out.
-use welt cord where applicable...it will give you the straight edges that your looking for...you can use a zipper foot on your machine to sew this in.
-miter the corners on square cushions and pillows so you don't get that dog-eared look.
-a lot of frustration with sewing is not with the project but with lack of proper tools or sewing machine malfunction. Most of the time it's a simple matter of using the right size needle and adjusting the tensions on your machine correctly.

If anyone has any questions on the sewing and upholstery topic I will be happy to try and help you...like I said it's about the only topic on this forum that I have experience to share. I really appreciate the members that have helped me out by answering my questions!

cloud55 aka sewcal
Old 12-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Not cheap for quality

Had our '63 Globetrotter done proffesionally by a friend of mine in Moline at his auto upholstry shop (they do lots of high end in restorations and imports). Even though I have been involved in the furniture business for many years I didn't go to a furniture upholsterer because I think the fabrics and foams used by the auto guys will stand up better in the Airstream. Also the '55 Chevy fabric that we used looks really good! Just the 4 blocks of foam were $600.00(that was at his cost). In a good upholstery job it's often what you don't see that costs. It was worth every penny as we (including our Chesapeake Bay retriever ) enjoyed many nights of great sleep in the Trotter this summer.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Photos of New Upholstery and Curtains

My wife gave me a digital camera for Christmas and what a blessing it has been. Here are the long promised photos of the interior of our AS. This includes the pergo floor, new upholstery and new drapes.

Now I'm starting on the exterior polish job. Today was the first day of stripping the old clear coat.

Ciao!

Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upholstery.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	17514   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	17515  

Old 01-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #26
_

. , .
do you like blue?

hey swanny

the upholstery looks great, so do the windows and the floor and the tv mount.

love those rugs from target? too!!

isn't the digital camera great!!

hear's to more photos!
2air'
Old 01-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #27
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Swanny!

Thanks for sharing the photos!
Your interior looks fabulous!

We can't seem to decide if we want to replace or recover.
This thread certainly was an interesting one to read.
I live in a small town. Maybe I'll get lucky.

"I find that it is not the circumstances in which we are placed, but the spirit in which we face them, that constitutes our comfort."
-Elizabeth T. King
PluffMudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #28
aka buckwheat's wife...

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hendersonville , North Carolina
How'd they do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
we spent 2500 to recover 2 captains chairs, the fold out couch, 2 barrel chairs, and all the trim on the walls,etc that had the old fabric on it. Used the best upholstery grade automobile type fabrics, and replaced padding also.
It was more than I wanted to spend, but has looked great and served us well.
Please forgive me if I sound ignorant.
Did you take the pieces to the shop or the whole
Airstream? One man I had spoken with in Georgia offered
to come to our house and disassemble the sofa there.
So I was just wondering how you did it.

"I find that it is not the circumstances in which we are placed, but the spirit in which we face them, that constitutes our comfort."
-Elizabeth T. King
PluffMudd is offline   Reply With Quote