Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Upholstered ceiling and walls

I am thinking about doing an upholstery treatment of the ceiling and walls in my 71 Tradewind. Attached is a photo from a 64 courtesy of 64 Overlander aka Kevin. I want to find flame resistant material and also a backing with a high insulation quality. Maybe the aluminized flexible backing material available at big box building supply stores. I know I might not get a great deal of more R value from a fairly thin covering, but every little bit helps to keep the heat in during cold weather and out in the summer. Besides I think it would look cool. Maybe the covering could be metallic vinyl(my wife said uough) I would also consider other materials. Funky is OK.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If you have some photos please post

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom_7-med-2.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	175440  
Old 12-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Maybe this stuff underneath, Reflecktix. Home Depot ad says R3.9 plus. That's not too shabby. Sounds fireproof.

Zoom More
Views

Email
Print

Reflectix 24 in. x 25 ft. Staple Tab Insulation

Model # ST24025
Internet # 100020855
Store SKU # 884412

(18)
Write a Review

$21.19 /RL-Roll

This item cannot be shipped to the following state(s): GU,PR,VI

Ships FREE with $45.00 Order

Buy Online, Pick Up In Store Today

Check Store Inventory

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Reflectix Insulation has over a dozen money-saving applications for around the home. The list of uses includes crawl space, radiant floor, attic and walls, just to name a few. The product is easy to handle and install. All you need are scissors, a staple gun, safety goggles and a tape measure. Since our insulation is fiber free, no protective garments or respirators are required.

• Additional applications to save energy include: HVAC ducts, water pipes, garage door, knee walls and water heater
  • R-values range from R-3.7 to R-21
  • R-values depend on application
  • Class A / class 1 fire rating
  • Inhibits condensation
  • No mess - no itchy fibers
  • Aides in controlling mold and mildew
  • Environmentally safe
  • Durable and lightweight
  • Does not promote nesting for rodents and pests
  • Additional applications include wall and roof structures in metal and post frame buildings
  • Large rolls for big projects are available through the special order program
  • Orders for large rolls can be placed in-store with customer service
  • Vapor and radon retarder
  • Not affected by moisture or humidity
  • Eco options approved product
  • MFG Brand Name : Reflectix
  • MFG Model # : ST24025
  • MFG Part # : ST24025
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I have it..

Well, I bought my 56 Flying Cloud....and much to my initial dismay, it had a covering on the interior walls and ceiling. It looked like the same fabric as was in my 21 ft. 1995 Sovereign........and it was. I would never have done that myself. But, now that I had it and I swore that I was not going to start a redo project on the Cloud...I lived with it. Guess what? It turned out that I like it.....it is cooler in the summers and warmer in the winter. It has a sound deadening effect too.....something like that solid "click" you get when you shut the door of a quality automobile. I does have a problem....there when I got it...of those dark aluminum dust marks at some rivet locations. Those would not come out.....I live with those too. Marine Hull Liner
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Upholstered ceiling and walls

Since the upholtery treatment is limited to the bedroom area in my Overlander, it has minimal overall impact. When both accordian doors are closed, the bedroom area is a bit quieter then the balance of the coach and it seems like the cooling is mor efficient . . . but closing the accordian doors also has the tendency to direct more of the air conditioning to the bedroom area. The wall uphostery definitely makes the beds more comfortable in both the summer and winter. I am sure that the modern insulation products will make a huge difference in thermal efficiency when compared to the cotton quilt batting that was utilized when my upholstery panels were created at the factory in 1964.

The one comment that I can make about the high-grade vnyl that was utilized in 1964 is that it is easy to clean and does not seem to stain. I haven't had any spots on the vinyl that didn't wipe off when cleaned with the same products that I utilize on the leather upholstery in my tow vehicle.

Kevin

P.S.: I suspect that part of the reason that the factory utilized vinyl for the upholstery material is that it should stand up to being attached with pop rivets better than most other fabrics . . . the factory didn't use any kind of trim around the pop rivets when installing the upholstery panels.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
May I suggest you look into materials used in aircraft interiors. The companies that do the interiors on large corporate jets use a lot of materials that are light weight but have good insulation ability, both from temperatures and noise. Temps above 25,000' are usually -56F. Best to go visit your local airport and just chat with some maintenance folks. Before long you will have a wealth of information about rivets, aluminum, electrical systems and the light weight materials used in aircraft interiors. Probably a couple of outfits at the Albuquerque Airport
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Home Depot makes 3 products that might work. Reflectix, Enerflex and UltraTouch.
Reflectix is a "double reflective insulation". Enerflex is a "radiant barrier insulation". Ultra Touch is a "radiant barrier" all appear to use metallic foil.

Nobody at Home Depot knows what they are talking about as far as the differences and uses concerning these products. Is anyone out there in Wally land familiar with them?