Old 11-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Ummm, I think the difference between cloth and "sweaty" fabrics is just that the cloth absorbs all of the yuk...

It's a whole lot easier to wipe the yuk off of the ultraleather. We did the bottom dinette cushions of our Argosy in ultraleather. Our only regret is that we didn't do all of the cushions with it.

Tom

Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Well now, there is a happy compromise for those who are concerned about the ultraleather biohazard or the fragility of cloth.

My dealership wanted $400 and change to put on some kind of fabric protecter on my cloth seating areas.

The Dollar Store Queen here had a better idea.

These dollar store faux ultrasuede drapery panels were morphed into Airstream cushion covers. They are easy to wash; just hang to dry. They fit snugly; looks just like upholstery. The metal eyelets are Airstream kewl.

I covered all the seats and backs of the lounge area and dinette for the grand total of $55!

I also found the matching eyelet storage containers at the dollar store - $4 ea.

The drape panels come in many other colours besides black: grey, beige, rust, sage green, chocolate, ivory, etc.

BTW, I have a dog with a lot of white hair. The hair comes off easily with a damp cloth.

For those who may be interested in my other dollar-store tricks, I am writing a book on special-event presentation on a budget. (Party decor, catering, entertainment etc. - from a private dinner for two to a group/corporate event for 200). I may also do a chapter on how I oufitted the Airstream - for a dollar and change.

For those who may interested in my book, just PM me. I'll let you know when it's finished. Am aiming for publication sometime in 2012.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Looks great!
Big things can be accomplished with a vision, small bucks, and and some imagination.
Dave

[QUOTE=Fly at Night;1069145]
The Dollar Store Queen here had a better idea.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
It was a hard decision for me to spend the extra money on faux leather but I did and I am extremely happy to have it when my husband spilled a half gallon of milk on the cushions on our last trip out. Did the upholstery myself and used ultrasuede for the edge trim and there is nothing as long wearing as that.......in a small surrounding you are always juggling for space and accidents happen...Patti
Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. We're having our sofa, dinette and valances covered over the next several weeks and trying to decide what to use in order to prevent our dear kitty friend from damaging the coverings. I love the ultraleather but it sounds as if that definitely won't work be kitty claw proof so most likely it'll be leather or faux leather. We meet with our upholsterer to look over samples later this month during a trip to ODM for winter maintenance and service work. Thanks again ya'll.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm not sure sure leather is any tougher against kitty claws. A good friend had a leather couch that got scratched rather badly by his cats. Ultraleather is used in a lot of industrial-ish settings (dentist chairs, restaurants) so it might be tougher than you think...

Maybe buy a yard of the material to try out in advance.

Tom
Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Thanks Tom. We'll take a look at all samples and then my "Queen" will decide . We do have leather in the house currently and the cat seems to leave it alone; however, I like the other sound of the other option. Stay tuned and thanks again.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Ours seems impervious to dog claws. Not so sure about cats, but it is advertised as a better choice for pet owners than leather.
I'm keeping my cats out of this Airstream just to be sure.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
If you want cat claw proof, I'm pretty sure you will need armadillo, porcupine, or some even tougher hide. I am not sure even that will work.

Seriously, if you are concerned about cats scratching, you need something that presents a non uniform visual appearance. Sooner or later, whether on purpose or by accident, the cat will snag a claw. Anytime a cat feels insecure about its balance or grip, there will be a full twenty claw deployment. That is the primary reason we just got the stock material. If a cat catches a claw, we trim whatever loose threads result and the threads of the weave will readjust. Unless you know where it happened and look closely, it is not noticeable. However on a uniform light smooth surface like leather or leather looking materials, it will be a hole or holes and will stick out like a sore thumb.

Our cats are a integral part of our travel experience. I don't want that experience spoiled by worrying about long lasting collateral damage.

Ken

P.S. I forgot to suggest chain mail or Kevlar
Old 12-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
Ours seems impervious to dog claws. Not so sure about cats, but it is advertised as a better choice for pet owners than leather.
I'm keeping my cats out of this Airstream just to be sure.
If you are unsure about the difference in ability to shred between dog and cat claws, just tease a cat a bit and you will find that it is a very significant difference. . A dog claw will leave a red mark and perhaps a scrape. A cat will leave a red bleeding laceration. The only good thing is that ultra leather and simlilar materials don't bleed.
Ken
Old 12-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
How many "ultras" does it take to make an ultraleather sofa? About the same number as "naugas"?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamiak View Post
How many "ultras" does it take to make an ultraleather sofa? About the same number as "naugas"?
Quite a few more. Ultras are actually parasites that infest naugas. You will notice that the color stays fairly true through the processing.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
I see what you mean. That esoteric detail is not widely known, and is poorly understood by most. Is there a difference between the standard-breed ultras and naugas relative to the genuine "Corinthian"?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
The Corinthian is richer.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote