Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Tough as Tile

Decided to paint the bathroom tub/sink area. I have 20 other things that are higher on the priority list but I just tossed that to the wind. Probably not smart. Already had a mishap with a derelict washcloth.

I am trying to document the process - hope the results are acceptable. I am thinking I should have sprayed it rather than brushing it. Dang, sometimes I just wonder what the eff I'm thinking... Maybe I'll switch for spray on the second coat. Wait until it's dry to see how good the leveling actually is....

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
OK this should be fun..
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
There's always sand paper........
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Yeah - so much fun that I just had to jump into it ... fairly unprepared....

Thankfully, sandpaper will help and I have a bin of it. Will undoubtably be using it...

Applied 2 coats of Tuff As Tile. The leveling wasn't as good as hoped - probably exacerbated by user deficiencies. I did not yet attempt the tub - just all the other surfaces. The gloss white finish is nicer than what I started with: yellowed and burnt by too many cig's set on the edge. Epoxy putty and sandpaper did eliminate the melted/burnt marks!

I will be able to step inside the bathroom with LESS distaste though. Guess that's ending on a positive note?

Laura
Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Well done. A+ for initiative!
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Tough as tile worked great for me. Just wear a respirator.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Epoxy painting sounds like an easy job. lol

Similar to my small job to replace the plastic toilet with a porcelain one, while having the toilet out it would be a good time to remove the carpet below it, carpet glue was easy to pull, including the back part where it was stapled, turns out AS not wanting to build a tight fit and knowing carpet covers gaps had 2 inch gaps in the underlying wood requiring rebuild, carpet started 4 inches back from front edge where there was tile and continued under the sink cabinet, naturally tile had to be removed, popping the tile off with no piece larger than 1 inch, found glue tougher than plywood, took off one layer of wood in places. This forum supplied the answer for getting the flange off, 2x2 with a couple of screws gave enough leverage to unscrew, seems like they didn't want a leak so had put roof sealant on 1 inch of thread, 11 yrs later and it still had pliability or it wouldn't have budged. Now all that is left is to put it together, build a new shelf, cover with formica, lay 11 tiles with 8 needing to be cut. Try to find some wood oak trim to match cabinet. Almost forgot install toilet, but first change fitting to match new toilet. Sure glad copilot didn't pick the electric toilet.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Epoxy painting sounds like an easy job. lol

Similar to my small job to replace the plastic toilet with a porcelain one, while having the toilet out it would be a good time to remove the carpet below it, carpet glue was easy to pull, including the back part where it was stapled, turns out AS not wanting to build a tight fit and knowing carpet covers gaps had 2 inch gaps in the underlying wood requiring rebuild, carpet started 4 inches back from front edge where there was tile and continued under the sink cabinet, naturally tile had to be removed, popping the tile off with no piece larger than 1 inch, found glue tougher than plywood, took off one layer of wood in places. This forum supplied the answer for getting the flange off, 2x2 with a couple of screws gave enough leverage to unscrew, seems like they didn't want a leak so had put roof sealant on 1 inch of thread, 11 yrs later and it still had pliability or it wouldn't have budged. Now all that is left is to put it together, build a new shelf, cover with formica, lay 11 tiles with 8 needing to be cut. Try to find some wood oak trim to match cabinet. Almost forgot install toilet, but first change fitting to match new toilet. Sure glad copilot didn't pick the electric toilet.
Oh geeze Dave - I feel your pain. Funny how a seeminly simple task turns into an all-nighter --- or all-weeker. Cheers to you and your copilot!

Laura
Old 12-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
I had great results using a small foam roller applicator after I threw away the brush that came with the kit. The small section I used the brush on was horrible even after 2 coats.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASwifey View Post
I had great results using a small foam roller applicator after I threw away the brush that came with the kit. The small section I used the brush on was horrible even after 2 coats.
Did you actually put on 3+ coats? The instructions strongly suggested not to apply more than 2 coats. And it says to use a natural bristle brush (which I purchased seperately) but they supply you with a worthless synthetic brush.

Maybe I'll be okay if I sand it down and apply a third coat with a roller... thanks for the tip.

Laura
Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
A couple before & after pics. I will finish the project when it warms up. And will proceed with a roller!

Plan to replace the broken vinyl insert with aluminum tape - adhered to strips of thin plastic that I acquired from dumpster diving. Fingers are crossed on the size being useable without needing to cut it down.

Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01181.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	118430   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01187.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	118431  

Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Thanks Laura. If my wife see's this guess who will be doing this next. Very nice...
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Has any one used this before? The TAT website says that under normal use and cleaning that this product will last for up to 5 years. I am not sure about everyone else but I am looking for this look but no recurring maintenance. I must say that this looks incredible.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
Your bath looks GREAT! Did you paint the cabinet doors to match the white? I believe this will be a summer project for me and the hubby! I have the pale yellow flowered walls that I love but the bath is just so depressing with the aged yellowed sinks and tub. Plus there are stained rings from a glass all over the counters!
snshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
What a fantastic difference!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Going to be doing this soon, thanks for posting looks GREAT!
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck21084 View Post
Has any one used this before? The TAT website says that under normal use and cleaning that this product will last for up to 5 years. I am not sure about everyone else but I am looking for this look but no recurring maintenance. I must say that this looks incredible.
I'm hoping 5 yrs of household use = 20 yrs of travel trailer use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snshort View Post
Your bath looks GREAT! Did you paint the cabinet doors to match the white? I believe this will be a summer project for me and the hubby! I have the pale yellow flowered walls that I love but the bath is just so depressing with the aged yellowed sinks and tub. Plus there are stained rings from a glass all over the counters!
There is a small portion of cabinet to the side (captured in the pic) that is the plastic. Yes, I painted that portion. No, haven't painted any of the remaining cabinets/tambour. At least, not yet! I plan to do that using Krylon paint. Would rather test that *technique* in the bathroom before even considering the brown faux wood tambours in the other areas.

I did paint my flowered walls. It was just too much yellow for me. If I'd started with this project (painting the yellowed fixtures), I probably would have enjoyed the wall pattern more... Oh well, too late now.

Laura
Old 03-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
I was in the bath this morning picturing how beautiful it will look when the hubby paints it this summer (really it will be me doing it but a girl can dream!) and thought I bet it would be easier to paint the tambour with a good coat of Krylon paint! (I giggled when I read your thread)

I think once the counters and tub are no longer that depressing aged yellow that the walls will be a great accent and they are in such great condition!

Thank you for posting your technique and the photos of your Overlander, it gives me hope for ours!

Shelly
snshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Really looks fabulous! I'm wondering why you didn't do the tub...?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Hi Laura,
I assume that this is an epoxy paint. When painting with any product one of the tricks and it isn't easy, is to use enough paint so that the paint flows before it sets to eliminate as many brush marks as possible. Of course to thick a coat and it will sag or drip. This also requires that everything is warm enough.
Do a small test on a sample surface(not in the trailer).
The photos look good. Huge improvement in colour.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote