Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2004, 07:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Angry The WORST Couch EVER!! HELP!

My husband posted this somewhere else as a Dinette question, however, at this point I need some advice that doesn't involve BUILDING something...I don't have the time or energy (remodeling the '67 Caravel was enough work for me) with two small kids. Okay, here is the question:
We just purchased a 2000 Safari with a front couch that jackknifes into a bed. We bought it so the kids could be seperated in the back on the rear twins, and we would be able to use the front while they slept. We spent 3 nights on the front couch last week when we went to FL to check it out. We NEED to replace this couch with another couch or a dinette. There is no foam...all you feel is springs. It is very springy just sitting on it. We put an egg shell mattress on top, it didn't help. I am having trouble finding resources for putting a dinette or couch in there "aftermarket". I don't know if the new ones are any better, but there has to be some sort of "upgrade" in the comfort department! Any suggestions/resources for purchasing a couch/dinette (leaning towards the dinette) that has MORE FOAM and LESS SPRINGS would be welcomed and appreciated! Thank you!

Sleepless in Safari
Tin Can Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Cushions

Are the cushions "fixed" or can they be removed?

If they can be removed, you can replace the existing cushions with a futon matress. I have done this with great results. I spent about 250 for a very good mattress.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Unfortunantly, the couch is one big unit..fixed cushions. If they were seperate cushions, I would just put new foam in like you said. I could probably have someone re-upholster it with new foam...don't know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p2250840.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	5023  
Old 03-03-2004, 09:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Have you tried calling the A/S factory to see if they had a dinette/bed option for the 2000 Safari still available? Seems like they ought to be able to help since it's still a somewhat "current model"...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Hi Sheri!
I just got off the phone with them...not very helpful. She said I would have to go through a dealer (yes, there was a dinette option). My husband called the dealer and they said it would cost THOUSANDS of dollars, as they would have to relocate some key items, etc. So, that puts us back to square one. Now I am on the hunt for salvege parts...maybe from a newer airstream that was totalled or something like that...but has a good interior. Who knows. I wouldn't mind keeping a couch, just want a more comfortable one. Maybe replacing it with a futon might not be such a bad idea. Not really sure how that would look and if it would be lower, as we would still need to use the table and don't want to use booster seats!
Old 03-03-2004, 09:35 AM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
I wonder if the Pillowtop Memory Foam Mattress Pads on the A COUPLE OF SALE ITEMS thread might work better than the egg crates you tried.
You might ask RoadKingMoe for his input, since he sleeps on one.
I've tried foam rubber pads on my couch and it's more comfy than sleeping without them.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

...vintageairstream.com has instructions how to build an old-style gaucho couch -- carpentry skills would be needed. But you would be rid of the springs and can customize the cushions for a wee bit more comfort...it is mostly chopping up lumber, not finish-carpentry...

We have a 2004 Safari with an L-couch -- no springs, but we are going to semi-customize the cushoins so adults can sleep on it...

just an idea -- dunno if it would work for you...

Rob
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
There are dealers who sell the flex steel sofas that fold into a bed...they run700 dollars and up depending on what fabric you use, also Camping world sells these.
They are standard sized fold out couches with good padding.
One dealer who is very knowlegeable is

www.braddandhall.com/

I redid my jacknife sofa, in my 82, having extra foam pad put on top to make it better for sleeping, it seems to work out well now.
We also use an air mattress on the floor for extra sleep space.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:01 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Wow! Thanks everyone for your help. I will look into all of the above. All the advice sounds good to me, just need to make some decisions, then get the trailer up here in a few weeks to work on it!
Old 03-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #10
MrTimbo

1975 31' Sovereign
Newberry , South Carolina
Memory foam

We bought some memory foam off of ebay for around $100. It made a great improvement on sleeping on the couch. We just roll it up in the morning with sheets and all, put a bungee cord around it and put it to the side.

Tim
MrTimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:57 AM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Try Ikea

They have several couches that are made from mostly foam - no springs - that might do the trick. They're also cost effective. Also - go to a futon store. Futons have changed a lot in the last few years - they look good (like normal furniture) and of couse the cushions are replaceable over time or recoverable if diaster strikes. Consider leather - it wipes off nicely.

Ikea's web site is www.ikea-usa.com

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:58 AM   #12
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Camping world

I seen a whole brand new fold out on CW this week for 400 dollars, That is a steal. I was quoted 400 to reupholster my old one.

The cushions look real cushy too.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:25 AM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd agree with the foam thing first. I mean, size does not seem to be the issue, it's comfort. Perhaps the least overhead would be to try one of the foam things first...I would think if that failed, then maybe getting deeper into it.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:46 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Size isn't that big of a deal...we both fit on it fine, so I am not worried about that. I will most likely get the memory foam either way, as it can only help. We have an Ikea 15 miles from here, so it is worth a look if they have the dimensions we need. Having something that folds very flat would be nice, as the jackknife couch doesn't do that very well either. Maybe we should just move the kids to the couch when we want to go to bed and sleep on the twins! Sort of defeats the purpose of buying the trailer in the first place (they are opposite sex...don't really want to share their sleeping space!) I think I am getting sold on the idea of getting a new couch and just replacing this with something meant to be slept on. Again, I appreciate all the input!
Positive comment about our new trailer (comparing it with our '67 Caravel):
Wow, how nice to have a larger fridge, a seperate shower, convection oven and all that storage! Overall , I cannot complain...somehow I don't feel deserving! I shouldn' t be complaining about the couch. Less than two weeks until the new owners of our Caravel come to get it! I am trying not to get too sad...I don't want to be here when they come to take it away!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:33 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

We bought a Homestyle Sleeper last fall from a rv furniture place in Nampa Idaho. They have a website www.refurniturecenter.com. although we sold the 78 Tradewinds when we got home we did sleep on the sleeper a few nights. In transit we just sat it upon the cushionless goucho. It was comfy and pretty good looking. and more than anything the price was right.
I dunno what they charge to ship but it is worth a look.
We paid less than $200 for the one we bought.

Tom & Betsy
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:34 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well you know, if your 25' is like mine, there are no tanks, etc to worry about. I can't see it being too hard to change it to a dinette. Parts might be pricey, but very little labor would be needed as the couch pops out fairly easy and all you'd have to do is screw the pre-cut materials from the factory right in-- heck you might even get them with the fabrics too!

Eric
Old 03-03-2004, 12:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i couldn't sleep on my bed the airstream mattresses are the pits. but i bought a piece of "4" inch memory foam on ebay and i now sleep like a log . my wife keeps bugging me to do her bed as she claims i snore and she cant sleep. i put the foam on top of the mattress, should work for the couch also. no major changes required. you could roll it up in the day time and store on a rear bed. cost would be less than $200.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:01 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Eric,
There is just storage under the couch, HOWEVER there is a gap behind the couch of about 6 inches (maybe a little less) that is covered in wood (making a shelf of sorts) that stores something important (I don't remember what exactly). Anyway, that is what the Airstream factory and dealer said would have to be relocated to put a dinette in. They were also talking several thousands of dollars, if you can believe that. It shouldn't be so difficult, but it is our understanding that it would be. I don't know what the new ones look like, but I am not sure why putting a dinette in ours would be so involved. My husband stopped listening at the "thousands of dollars" part! Popping the couch out and putting in another couch would be maybe the most practical. I would like a dinette, but cost would be an issue at that price! I need to go have my father-in-law measure the couch and the depth we have to work with if we got a new one. I should have a better idea once we get it up here in a few weeks. I wonder if anyone out there has a 25' 2000 Safari and has slept on the couch???? Just curious.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
They must have changed something or perhaps the 25 A/B units are different than that of the C.

I got the leather upgrade and I can see what you mean, it's not like a foam dinette cushion, but I think it's a bit better than the standard sofas.

You know, Jack Canavera had a 27' 2001 Safari....I think it even had a front couch....maybe he could offer some advise......

Best of luck with couch.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Al and Sue....is that a dachshund you have there??? I grew up with standard long hair.

Anyway, memory foam might just do it. I would have to start there at any rate. The neighbors will wonder what I am doing sleeping out in the trailer in our back yard!

Eric,
My in-laws have an anniversary edition 35' (I think) with the leather and their couch is VERY COMFORTABLE to sit on and my daughter said it was great to sleep on. The dinette was also pretty nice. I will have to check with Jack. Thanks!