Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
the '70s....what were they thinking?

so I'm de-winterizing today...took the slip cover off the gaucho to put it in the wash, and I figure I just gotta share this fabric with you all.

one thing I will say, though, is that it is in amazingly good shape for all these years. probably has been under a slip cover for most of its life. the one thats on there is pretty well-worn. but I'd rather look at it than this!! good heavens!

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Whoa! You got green too!
They did seem to Like AVACADO!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02513.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	12139  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
And orange was popular too....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	original dinnette - web.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	12140  

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Thanks for sharing!

Ours aren't too bad colorwise. Maybe I got Airstream's nifty bicentennial offering. I just finished steamcleaning them and they are in remarkably good condition. We're going to use them a little while before I reupholster. Here's the best picture I have until I get them back into place.

-J
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	76Safari_gaucho.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	12141  
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Kinda makes you feel better about blues and beiges - huh?

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
The thing I really don't understand is why they combined the off-white upper cabinets with the fake dark woodgrain-looking plastic on the lower cupboards. O' course I was totally busy with high school homework at the time so maybe I just missed that 70s trend.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 05-15-2005, 06:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well, everything in my Argosy is wood grain. The counter tops and bathroom are all cream, except "oh no" the gold toilet. I've ordered White Coat to redo the bath and sink. Don't know if I'll tackle the toilet. May leave it as a tribute to the 70's. Have spent the week end staining the wood grain to match my new wood flooring. I would include pictures, but have never been able to get them small enough to get on the forum.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Back to the Future

Posting to Airstream Forums, May 20, 2035:

"I just picked up a great deal on a vintage 2004 22'. I don't really know much about it, but it has "CCD" under the Airstream logo. Anyone know what that means?

But inside, ye GODS!! What could they have been thinking? BARE aluminum walls? BARE???? And that orange fabric? Could this ever really have been in style? Does anyone know a good source for vinyl wallpaper glue that will stick to bare aluminum?"

Mark
Old 05-15-2005, 08:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
The thing I really don't understand is why they combined the off-white upper cabinets with the fake dark woodgrain-looking plastic on the lower cupboards. O' course I was totally busy with high school homework at the time so maybe I just missed that 70s trend.
Interesting. In our 'one year removed from yours' '75 Safari, we have the same colour woodgrain (dark) on the top doors as the ones on the bottom. Looks a lot better, IMO. Other than that, our trailer looks identical in that shot.
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Chuck, I don't agree--That slipcover is great. It's got extremely trendy colors. Go to upscale decorating stores like Crate & Barrel (or any department store) and you'll see that lemon, orange, lime and bright blues dominate current interior decorating schemes. Of course, there is a wierd red strip in front of it on the gaucho in there that clashes (possibly a later add on). I don't suppose you saw it this way, but to my eyes, it's really the blue, pink and green throw cushions that are looking a tad dated.

As for the other pics, that blue one is gorgeous. I can't see Balgryn's cover very well in the picture. However, I've been noticing lots of avacado green in magazines like "Simple Living" and "Inspired Home," so it seems that it's kind of come full circle in style. Janet's appears to be the only one that strikes me as rather dull, in a beigy sort of way. A good part of that seems to be the brown carpet, which makes it probably look more beige than it actually is.

At this year's CBR, I visited a trailer where the owners recently put back in brand new 70s styled curtains and cushions back in. It looked surprisingly fresh and modern. Moreover, the older trailers look best when they reflect the kinds of styles they were made to house. The challenge for restorers is to do the vintage looks skillfully enough it so it looks fresh and fun.

Mary
Old 05-15-2005, 09:07 PM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Mary - the photo doesn't/didn't do it justice - it was burnt orange shag - and had to go.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 05-15-2005, 09:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Before and After

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
I've been noticing lots of avacado green in magazines like "Simple Living" and "Inspired Home," so it seems that it's kind of come full circle in style.
Oh great, so I ripped out that smelly orange shag rug and decaying countertop for NOTHING? I could have waited a few more days and it would have been back in style!

See attached, before and after pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VT_before.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	12150   Click image for larger version

Name:	VT_after.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	12151  

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:45 PM   #13
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Can you dig it? Groovy man....

All I need now is a curtain made of beads....

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I Like the 70's theme and all but.........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4288385d.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	12155  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Ferroequine -- I was wondering what your interior looks like. Ours is a '76 model year, but it was manufactured in '75. Do you also have the blue upholstery? My kids think it's great because it's kind of a soft corduroy pile texture and they love sitting in it.

Mary -- I noticed the colors at Crate & Barrel too. They have throw pillows and lamps that would blend right into the original 70s trailer. For some reason they look a lot better when they're sitting in the store all new and shiny. What did you mean by 70s-style curtains? I still can't decide what to do for curtains. The old ones are history because they were hopelessly stained and mildewed. I'm not particularly fond of pleats so I'm looking for new ideas.

Chuck -- Mary's right, your colors aren't all that bad. They do at least brighten up those dark wood colors that the 70s loved.

Rich -- Looks like you have the beige cupboards up top and dark woodgrain below like I do. Are you keeping it that way?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 05-16-2005, 05:03 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
O' course I was totally busy with high school homework at the time so maybe I just missed that 70s trend.
If you remember the '70's, you weren't there...
Old 05-16-2005, 06:07 AM   #17
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i wonder if i should do a thread like this for the '90s trailers?

i've got some giant paisley prints on the valance in the bedroom, total swank! feel lucky i have a trailer that is mostly tan vs. the mauve models from the same time. those will never come back in style i bet! yuk!

john
Old 05-16-2005, 06:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
mauve and orange

Quote:
Looks like you have the beige cupboards up top and dark woodgrain below like I do. Are you keeping it that way?
Actually, all our furniture including upper and lower cabinets are dark woodgrain. We have left them as found. With the new walls and floor, they actually don't look bad.

In the "after" picture I posted earlier you can see the front endcap, which was painted mauve with the original orange insert. We painted it cream to neutralize it.

See picture of as-found condition... ugh ... and you'll understand why cream seemed like a nice alternative.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCP_2534.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	12156  

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Ah yes, the dreaded front endcap. Ours is very cracked and not beautiful. Perhaps they made the upper cabinets in the beige to match the lovely endcap. I still can't bring myself to want to repair and paint that plastic. There's gotta be a replacement that's better. -J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 05-16-2005, 08:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Rich, I'm all for tossing anything that smells bad. That might even mean oderific guests (especially 4 legged ones)!!!

The first thing I did when we got our new trailer was to toss out the smelly cushions. But then I sat down and tried to think what would work for a new decorating theme. Looking around, I realized that the trailer was designed so that everything went with turquoise. Fight that and I was going to have to redesign everything. Go with it and it kept the vintage feel. Here's a look at the "midway" on ours (we've since torn everything out for structural repairs). Our approach is decidedly retro, but it's not the only way to go (and yes, Rich, the wild colors would look fine in VT--I could see a lime green table top and linoleum floor looking great with the other stuff you have--it would just give it a different look)..

Personally, I think as long as it looks new and clean, it will look up to date. Remember, the orange-lime-etc. color scheme is also the one used in the CCD.

DJ, iirc, the curtains this couple had were white with orange and yellow daffodils printed on it (very little white showed in a rather marimekko-esque way). They found a interior decorator shop with lots of old fabrics and picked it out from dead stock (best part, they sold them the fabric for practically nothing). I bought my retro fabric online at www.contemporarycloth.com.

There's a theory that the most recently past trend is embarassingly out of style--but the one preceding it reemerges as cutting edge and stylishly rediscovered. We're at that phase for the 70s, I think. Its the 80s stuff that is becoming embarrassing.

Mary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	12157