Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2005, 08:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Some Styles to play with

OK, these are all fabrics available new from contemporary cloth...Who says funky is out of date?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lava.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	12158   Click image for larger version

Name:	retroabbacus.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	12159  

Name:	roses.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	12160   Click image for larger version

Name:	mod.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	12161  

Old 05-16-2005, 09:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Love those fabrics Mary!

We op't for the Key West look in the Argosy
What was there was too worn...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	42888148.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	12162  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

I see nothing wrong with the colors posted in the upper posts of this thread. To me they look normal!
Excuse me while I tie the lace on my sneaker and adjust the big collar on my 100% polyester shirt!
Sincerely,
Greg Brady
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:30 AM   #24
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Sunglasses for me!

Orange and green from the 70's are back in the CCD's. Does that mean that the mauve's that followed are the next fashion statement? Achk! Is there no end to this cycle of bad taste?

Next time I redo an trailer it's gonna be black and white - everything matches and it never goes out of style.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Yes, Marimekko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
DJ, iirc, the curtains this couple had were white with orange and yellow daffodils printed on it (very little white showed in a rather marimekko-esque way).
Funny you should bring up Marimekko, that was one of the first things I looked at when I was trying to come up with something contemporary that I could stand to look at. I wonder why Airstream didn't do something with Marimekko and Danish modern since that was around in the 70s. We still haven't completely decided what the end product will be. Right now we're redecorating in odor-removal mode.

I'm starting on some temporary curtains today. Just got back from the fabric store where I saw all kinds of retro-mod stuff like in your pictures. My problem with the curtains is more about changing the style than the fabric. Didn't Airstream ever do anything besides pleats?
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:10 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Semniotically Speaking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Sunglasses for me!

Orange and green from the 70's are back in the CCD's. Does that mean that the mauve's that followed are the next fashion statement? Achk! Is there no end to this cycle of bad taste?

Next time I redo an trailer it's gonna be black and white - everything matches and it never goes out of style.
I'm going to go out on a philosophical limb here. I don't think there is such thing as bad taste. Color (just like music) is an element of fashion. Certain combinations can be used to identify a member--or non member of an affilliate group. That's why some interior styles "say" country or "urban" or "retro." When you style your trailer, you are making a decision of what kind of affilliate group you want to identify with.

The thing is, it's all pretty personal. When you scrutinize a color combination, it may be right that a particular look is out of fashion (or dirty & smelly, etc). It may also be right to identify that a look is discordant with a personality (a Harley guy probably won't want a pink frilly interior style). However, bad taste is, in fact, impossible. There is no such thing as a bad color, colors are not inherently wrong and not capable of doing evil. The only thing that can go sour is our perception of color. We mentally choose to identify colors in particular ways (eg, green and red are Christmas). When colors go out of style, that is, a change in our cognitive awareness, not in the colors themselves.

Mary

PS, Even black and white may go out of style. I read recently black clothing don't sell well at all these days.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:12 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Love the couch! Make me up a margarita! Isn't it nice how we can make these trailers into our fantasy get-aways?

Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Love those fabrics Mary!

We op't for the Key West look in the Argosy
What was there was too worn...
Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Sunglasses for me!

HeeHee!
I know what you mean!
now that I have the mechanicals taken care of on the Minuet, the wife wants me to let her go wild on the inside and update the upholstery! I do not have the origianl goldish, orangey funky color but she is still not happy with the colors just the same.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:22 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
I'm starting on some temporary curtains today. Just got back from the fabric store where I saw all kinds of retro-mod stuff like in your pictures. My problem with the curtains is more about changing the style than the fabric. Didn't Airstream ever do anything besides pleats?
Who says you have to stick with pleats? You may be constrained by your curtain carriers, but why not alter them (epoxy on alternative connectors) or just put up new carriers. It's your trailer, and if you don't want pleats, skip them. It will probably still look great.

Mary
Old 05-16-2005, 11:24 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
on taste

The real trick is to come up with something that's timeless. My last home had a kitchen that was last remodeled in the late 70s/early 80s by it's architect/owner. Everyone who came to look at it when we sold it in 2004 would say how they loved what they thought was a very recent remodeling job. The only thing we had really done in the 3 years we lived there was keep it clean and put in a new range and kitchen faucet. So with the trailer, I keep trying to come up with something that looks clean and will hold up and age well.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #31
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Mary: what red stripe? don't see it....

I do see what you mean about those throw pillows....that is the pattern of the slip cover that has been removed. (its in the wash!). While it is now dated, as well...its not nearly as "offensive" as the original. I disagree. there ARE such things as "Bad" colors. ok, well...maybe not "bad", but certainly LOUD while the mauve and blue pillows may not be the height of style, they do compliment one another, which is certainly not the case w/ the plaid. A musical analogy would be the word "dissonance".

I don't like the orange in the current ccd's any more than I liked it in the 70's. Ok..you got me. that's personal taste. But seriously, taste aside, one thing that can be easily spotted in such decor is the fact that it will be dated very shortly. that was the first thought that came to mind when I first saw a CCD decor: "this thing is going to look rediculous in 5 years." that's not really a good thing on a trailer that should last 40+.

Dougjamie hit it on the head with "timeless". in fact, the pic you posted reveals little about the age of your trailer for that very reason. solid blue is timeless. neutral walls are timeless...not much else can be seen in the pic.

Lou: the dark fake-walnut in my trailer is nearly the same as the fake panneling in the Brady's living room. its not just "dark"; the fake-grain is highlighted with flex of grey, giving it a weathered look. they don't make anything at all like it now.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:19 PM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Angry

Quote:
OK, these are all fabrics available new from contemporary cloth...Who says funky is out of date?
Reminds me of those LSD trips I never went on...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #33

1969 29' Ambassador
Greenville , Pennsylvania
Another idea besides pleated curtains

Quote:
Who says you have to stick with pleats? You may be constrained by your curtain carriers, but why not alter them (epoxy on alternative connectors) or just put up new carriers. It's your trailer, and if you don't want pleats, skip them. It will probably still look great.

Mary
Hi folks... I agree with Mary! We just got our '69 Sovereign (or is it an Ambassador) and it originally had lots of avocado green (must have been ahead of it's time). It had all the pleated drapes which my husband can't stand...so those are all down now. I have several ideas I'm working on... over the kitchen sink there is a fabric coated plastic valance with a roller shade under it. Looks original. It has the fabric cut into little square pockets with a cafe rod inserted as a pull. Our trailer has all gold accents which I can't stand and am slowly switching to brushed aluminum, so I switched out the rod to a silver one and made roller blinds to match the original one by covering inexpensive plastic adjustable roller blinds with fabric... lots of tips on home improvement/craft sites for that little project. (Lowe's cut them to fit for me!) So far we love the blinds which can be caught under the window catches to keep them against the walls. Plus all the original roller hardware things were still there, so I just had to pop them in. My husband is going to coat the lower window with one way sunshade so I don't have to cover them. I'm making a small fabric valance to run in the top track to cover the rollers. I'll try to remember to put photos on here, but we are heading out for two weeks and I'm working like crazy to get the airstream presentable for our family reunion. Hope this idea doesn't sound too crazy - I figured it was ok since I found the original blind still in place.

Another friend suggested just using the top rod in the front around the curved windows to put a curtain that you could raise and lower by some ribbons tied around. It would look like a valance when pulled up - easy, no sew solution. Not vintage, but a possibility.

Barbara
B&RCourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #34
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
I'll take a second trip thru the 70's...
Even listen to Disco.
Thought the 70's sucked at the time, compared to the 60's.
Just don't start my hell early by playing any Rap.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:25 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I just picked up a Rod Stewart and a Starland Sugar tape for my '77 Ambassadors 8 track.
I must say the original interior in mine is in very good condition and luckly, neutral colors. Only the bathroom looks like an episode of "Laugh In" exploded in there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GOLDIE.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	41097  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #36

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It makes you think what folks in the future will think about some of the new interiors that A/S is putting out today? Will they become dated? Will the those bright CCD interior fabrics have the same impact in our eyes in the future as we see them today?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Sadly, what is fashionable isn't necessarily tasteful.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:58 AM   #38
Rivet Master

I am going back to the 50s with my 73

I am going for a 50s diner look. I didn't mind the avocado green but the gold that went with it was gastly!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream pictures 014 edit.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	41099  
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:57 PM   #39
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Decorating tips on how to lose the gold countertops in your 1970's A/S

Check out how someone "decorated" their 1974 rear bedroom Sovereign . . . .

Beautiful Trailene

. . . . . you really don't notice the 70's gold countertops . . . .
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:40 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Lava Lamp?

After reading all of this stuff I have to find a disco ball and some black lights I will pass on the 8 track, I like my cheap old Jensen am fm cassette cd player. would a lava lamp be in order. My gauchos were recovered in a 70s style pattern and they look great. I don't think I can deal with a shag carpet in the AS. Maybe cork would look like a disco dance floor! I'll put some Three Dog Night in the stereo when I start ripping out plumbing tomorrow. Maybe it will inspire me Oooh--oooh just thought of it...incense burner.

All of the potential projects...I may never get done .
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote