Old 09-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
stripping interior walls

My experience so far has been successful on small pieces of aluminum, only. On the large panels, even in a protected (shaded) area, the stripper seems to evaporate, and loose its punch, even with a plastic wrap covering. Given that I am trying to launch the trailer before February, I went ahead and bought some 4x10 sheets of .040/5052. I am replacing all panels except from the floor to the bottom of the windows. I am keeping and painting those. Most of those bottom ones will not be exposed anyhow.

I am sure I have more $ in the aluminum, but I am replacing older panels that had a variety of holes and defects, which will now be gone. I don't think there is an easy solution to this problem, elbow grease vs dollars...pick your poison...,actually one uses poison

Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:09 AM   #86
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Rapid Remover

My Sign shop uses Rapid Remover for removing the adhesive residue. It is a citrus based remover.
Click image for larger version

Name:	69 Safari Sealing 127.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	223860
You still have to do the handy work of getting the vinyl off, the rapid remover does not help with that. We use a blow dryer to soften the glue and an exacto knife to lift up an edge and pull it up by hand, Newbies may want to get a plastic scraper knife.

After a large job of pulling up vinyl your fingers will get raw feeling just from the friction of pulling. Facing the job to the sun is also very helpful if at all possible the warmer that vinyl the easier to remove. After the vinyl is off spray some Rapid remover on the glue residue and leave it on for at least 60 seconds. Spray on more where ever it starts to look dry. You want it to look like the consistency of boogers..not appealing but when its there then is the time to scrape it off in to a paper towel. Repeat as necessary and for the final bits of residue wipe it down with a paper towel sprayed with the stuff. Buff it dry and let the residual evaporate, if you wash it with water to soon it goes all milky looking, doesn't hurt anything just looks scary. it all washes off, evaporation is just easier
Also worth noting it does evaporate quite quickly, working in the shade is better for this part...or just keep spraying more on

It does not hurt clear coats we use it on vehicles all the time, and purely by accident I just discovered it is amazing at removing old vulkem sealer from around the windows and panels on my '69 safari I am currently using it everywhere. I will post a thread on it later. Here's my nice, shiny, not covered it 40 years of adhesive light fixture after I was done
[ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	223863[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I've also done one round of it on the sticky vinyl walls to remove the grimy feeling it has helped but the stickyness is still there, I will give it another couple goes to see if I can improve it more. It does not hurt the top of the vinyl

We get ours from Express sign products in Canada, Want to try some out before buying a bunch, call around to your neighbourhood sign shops and ask if they'll let you put a bit in a bottle to try out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	223861   Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	223862  

thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
Yes, I am thinking of stripping my 67 Safari also and have heard you can and you cannot! Has anybody done it and have acceptable results.
Has anybody put up mouse fur over the vinyl??? How did that work out?
kenwadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member
1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Sovereign
Narvon , Pennsylvania
After reading on several pages, I found some answers. So I will be giving this a shot soon and posts some pics and report on it.

kenwadude is offline   Reply With Quote