Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
redo on vinyl wall covering

My wife and I are looking to update our recently purchased 1988 Limited. My son wants us to change the original wall covering to something a bit more modern. My question is can we strip the wall covering and paper it again?

Regards

Franny & Reganzo

Old 12-08-2007, 01:22 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Why strip when you can paint over?

I've gotten real evangelistic about painting over the vinyl. It is much less work than stripping. I've posted this before and I'm glad to provide more info. First wipe down the walls with detergent and water to get any grime off. The most difficult (and time-consuming) part is the taping of trim, etc. After you've taped off the trim, paint over the vinyl with Sherwin-Williams Bonding Primer. This stuff is amazing. You create a new surface that you can paint over. I even painted over the dark, ugly the fake walnut paneling. Here's what the inside of my trailer looks like. I faux painted it with a sponge, but if you don't feel comfortable faux painting you can just paint with a roller or brush.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roger photo_front.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	816.7 KB
ID:	50511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roger Pic. back.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	50512  

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Gorgeous interior!

How can I save this post? We have an 87 and have redone the upholstery, new curtains, bedspreads etc. We want to put hardwards throughout and redo the walls. Faux painting like you did looks fabulous. How long ago was it done and does it hold up well?
Stewart
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello .. Wondering if anyone has paint failure with cold weather.... washed all the walls with tsp and applied BIN and than CIL interior latex paint... it was holding up well until today when we went to check on the trailer.... paint peeling from the ceiling..... was not that way 1 week ago.... .... The Argosy has been here in the frozen north with us... anyone else with this problem... ??
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:48 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady
I've gotten real evangelistic about painting over the vinyl. It is much less work than stripping. I've posted this before and I'm glad to provide more info. First wipe down the walls with detergent and water to get any grime off. The most difficult (and time-consuming) part is the taping of trim, etc. After you've taped off the trim, paint over the vinyl with Sherwin-Williams Bonding Primer. This stuff is amazing. You create a new surface that you can paint over. I even painted over the dark, ugly the fake walnut paneling. Here's what the inside of my trailer looks like. I faux painted it with a sponge, but if you don't feel comfortable faux painting you can just paint with a roller or brush.
Thanks for the tip. I was just talking about painting the dark ugly fake walnut on my bulkheads yesterday afternoon. Nice to see someone who has really done it. I will have to strip the one by the refrigerator, though, it is peeling from the top.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Rockport , Texas
I think this is common...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna
Well, we went to Home Depot and bought some JASCO and my husband is out stripping the vinyl. So far so good. I hope to put some pictures on line soon. It's so funny that when we first purchased our trailer we were going to just replace the floors and couch cushions...now we're stripping everything!
-Anna and Greg

I thought we were just getting a new bed!! Now we are gutted with new sub-floor... actually new everthing except walls (so far)
Old 05-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedTaters
I thought we were just getting a new bed!! Now we are gutted with new sub-floor... actually new everthing except walls (so far)
Yep, it's a very slippery slope!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
This is why I'm looking for one that I already know I'm going to have to completely redo-- because that's what I would end up doing anyway.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:48 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
dade city , Florida
We just bought a 26' in need of a complete restoration 6 days ago for $800, so right now, im with ya, in over my head lol. but to stay on topic about the walls, I know very little about AS when it comes to specific details etc. I would love to have the inside polished up, depending on how much work it will be. I've read most of this thread and it got me wondering so I walked outside to look at ours and on the walls, I see a lot of pop rivets, in the back toward the bottom it looks like there is paint drips running down stripped aluminum,but im not sure if it has the standard wall covering also. I'll post a few pictures, let me know your opinion
Thanks!
-Tara

Old 09-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

1973 21' Globetrotter
Strathroy , Ontario
this forum started it ALL!

We decided to strip out the walls of our 73 globetrotter- the walls were sticky (YUCK!) and it looked SO cool under the vinyl.
We tested our some paint removers. (the good stuff really smells and burns your skin).
THIS IS THE BEST PART!!-- IF YOU PUT THE STRIPPER ON THEN COVER THE AREA WITH PLASTIC WRAP FOR 30MINUTES, RE-APPLY COVER 20 MIN MORE THE VINYL ALMOST FALLS OFF.
WE COULD TAKE OFF WHOLE PANELS AT A TIME!!!!!

The bottle suggests that you paint it on a wait 5 minutes. the longer you wait the better- the plastic wrap holds in all the nasty chemicals. If the vinyl dries out just apply more stripper, cover and wait 20 minutes.

Some spots take 3 applications- but I have learned to let the chemicals do the work. We rarely had to pick up a scrape
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	globetrotter 008.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	87043   Click image for larger version

Name:	globetrotter 003.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	87044  

Old 09-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
That wall looks great. What brand of stripper did you use?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

1973 21' Globetrotter
Strathroy , Ontario
We used lots of different brands- GLUE BUSTERS-paint and vanish remover. It smelled very bad and burnt your skin (wear vinyl gloves and eye protection). Strippers for metal seemed to have the best zip. The wood stuff was weaker and took longer in soak time.
hope that helps
Old 09-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Are you planning on stripping the whole interior? How far have you gotten? Are you going to polish it after it is stripped? Does the surface look acceptable if it is not polished? I would love to see more pictures. Sorry for the multiple questions, but you have peaked my interest. I'm refinishing my bathroom right now and my trailer is an empty shell. This would be the time to strip this stuff if I don't decide to paint over the vinyl.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

1973 21' Globetrotter
Strathroy , Ontario
We have about 75% done- we took the 'ceiling' panel off- it was only a few rivets and then it slid out. The walls and even the rivet look clean- My husband tried car polish on a small area- it gave it a litle shine and hopefully will prevent oxidation. My parents 2008 is aluminum inside....wonder if it has a coating??????

***Words of advice- find plastic 'scrapers'- anything metal leaves marks. We did use a razor blade to trim around window frames. I will go and take some pictures right now!
C