Old 12-19-2002, 03:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Airstreamcaravel wrote:

Quote:
I would bet that ACETONE would remove it! OR any of the specific adhesive removers like GOO GONE would be worth a try.
Anna Wrote:

Quote:
IT"S WORKING!!!!
Clear as Mud now?

DMC

Old 12-19-2002, 04:05 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Opinions are like noses .. everyone has one!

Anna says it was working.

DMC

Old 12-19-2002, 05:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Well, like I said, the JASCO is working like a dream... just stinky and time consuming. My poor husband has so many projects to do that the whole process has been slow. We are currently shopping around for a polisher for the inside and later this summer we might attempt to polish the outside (we''ll see how far we get!).
Right now our trailer has new vinyl flooring (black and red checkered) and about 3/4 of the interior is stripped down to the aluminum (just needs to be polished). It's going to be real cool when it's done!
We will post pictures soon!
Old 12-19-2002, 05:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up JASCO works!

Wear protective gear (will melt plastic and burns skin):
-goggles
-resperator
-chemical resistant gloves
-you get the picture

We used about 2 gallons of JASCO bought at Home Depot.
Use a paint brush (you will go through a few) and brush in one direction only when applying.
Apply 2-3 coats (in the same direction as previous coats) in a 30 -40 minute time period.
It will start to bubble and then you can start pulling it off.

At a later time:
Once everything is off you can use Goof-Off on a terry-cloth buffer to get rid of any residue.

Feel free to e-mail us if you have any questions or have any advice for us.
Thanks,
Anna and Greg

Old 12-19-2002, 07:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Stripping

anna, how long did it take you and your husband to strip the insides. I'm assuming that your inside endcaps are the plastic ones - what are you doing here? Just curious and itching to try myself.
Marc
Old 12-20-2002, 11:38 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Smile

Hi,
It's taken my husband a few weekends to strip the interior. It would probably go faster if I could help him, but I'm busy watching our 1 year old. We are going to paint the end caps red using car paint I think.
Happy Holidays,
Anna
Old 03-07-2003, 03:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I tried Annas method

1967 Caravel.
The Jasco does work, the actual type of Jasco is the "Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover" available, as Anna Said (thank you Anna) at Home depot. I brushed it on and waited 15-20 min. The vinyl doesn't start bubbling up like paint when you strip it - but if you flick a corner up you can peel the vinyl back. It behaves, when softened by the Jasco, like rubber from a balloon, so be careful because as you are pulling it off and come to a rivet it will stretch until it pops or tears off of the rivet and it can flick some of the quite toxic Jasco onto you...so wear a mask or you will be running to the hose as little spatters start burning your skin. (not that this has ever happened to me)javascript:smilie('')

Because the Vinyl was bonded to the aluminum before the interior was assembled I ended up trimming along overlapping panels where I couldn't get stripper underneath. If you glop the edges of these overlaps enough the Jasco softens a little bit of the vinyl underneath the overlap - enough to let it stretch, so as you are pulling the vinyl off you can run a razor along the overlap - and as you trim the vinyl, the piece remaining under the overlap will recede back so you cant see it at all.

After the vinyl is removed there is a nice even layer of adhesive to suck up another coat of Jasco, so it is taking a while.

Good Gloves (chemical-stripper resistant) and face protection are a necessity. Stinky stuff too. Also the Jasco is amazing at melting the plastic that the 60s refrigerator vent ducts are made of, and Im sure other things I have been taking care to avoid the outer Jacket of the Romex that pops through the walls in spots so I don't know if it will melt that. Be careful.

I will update amount of Jasco used and time for the project when I finish. By the way I at first tried Savogran "Strip-ease" and it really doesn't work for this. It doesn't get "through" the vinyl.

Thanks again Anna and Greg

-Andrew
Old 03-07-2003, 04:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Ever try that stuff on Latex interior semigloss house paint? My father-in-painted the inside of the 59 with that.....baby blue.
Wonder if it would take the Zolatone off as well.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 04:09 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Do the '03 models have this too?

I would think that they did have the same interior. One reason I ask this is because I may want to mount something some day (CO detector) and I wasn't sure what was behind the material that covers the walls and ceiling.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 03-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Ok after quite a headache from the fumes I am almost done stripping the interior of my Caravel. I went through my garage and tried a bunch of different solvents in the "spirit" (pun intended) of having more info for people who may want to tackle this in the future. Here are some Observations:

Jasco Paint and Epoxy Remover ( http://www.jasco-help.com ) - Softens and loosens the vinyl quite well (see my prior post) It also will take off the remaining film of adhesive, but not that easily.

Klean-Strip ( www.kleanstrip.com/ ) - KS-3 Premium Stripper seems to remove the vinyl almost as well, or as well as the Jasco but is better at taking off the residue on the aluminum than the Jasco. It still takes a bit of time and I sort of scrub the residue with the paintbrush to get it loose. You can then wipe off some of it with a paper towel -but you end up with a residue that is like you just peeled off the worlds largest price sticker. This sticky goop however wipes right off with mineral spirits, although you have to use a lot of spirits and a lot of paper towels to get it all off. You are then left with shiny brand new looking aluminum.

Klean-Strip adhesive remover-This stuff behaves so much like the above KC-3 Premium Stripper that I think they have only changed the label. On second thought the KC-3 may be a little faster on the vinyl, but they are the same on the adhesive. Then again maybe not. Maybe I was just getting delirious from the fumes. They look the same and smell the same and have the same consistency, heck they even taste the sa...... ok kidding on the last one.

Citristrip, ( www.citristrip.com/ ) - which a lot of people use to remove the clear-coat on the outside of their Airstreams really doesn't do anything with regards to removing the vinyl or the adhesive residue. It does however give you a nice citrus scent to cover up all the other toxic smells emanating from stacks of soggy Klean-strip and Jasco soaked paper towels. This lets you stay in the trailer long enough to get a REALLY bad headache.

Lacquer Thinner, - too volatile to sink into the vinyl enough, but it will take off the adhesive. It isn't much faster than the other strippers and because of the high evaporation you end up using more to do the same job - and the fumes are much more intense

Denatured Alcohol - Adds to the bouquet of toxic fumes, but doesn't remove the vinyl or the adhesive.

Goof Off- Behaves very much like Lacquer thinner, smells a little different. Toluene based perhaps?

Savogran Stripeez ( www.savogran.com ) This stuff doesn't go through the vinyl well at all, (see prior post) It will eventually I guess, if you could get it on thick enough and leave it on long enough, but in practice it is really useless for the vinyl. However I tried it on the adhesive residue and it actually takes it off a little faster than the Klean-Strip, but it leaves much less, almost no gummy residue after you wipe it off. Very little mineral spirits and towels are needed to get it totally clean

There are other products out there like Bix etc. that I didn't try.

The best combo/procedure that is working for me now is:

1) Paint on the Jasco (or Kleanstrip KC-3)
2) Wait 15-20 min then pull back the vinyl.
3) Brush on Stripeez
4) Wait 5 min then go back over scrubbing in circles with the Stripeez laden paintbrush. You can see the "weave" pattern left by the removed vinyl in the adhesive residue. I just scrub until I cant see the pattern anymore.
5) Wipe off the globs of adhesive soaked stripeez and you will be down to fairly clean aluminum
6) Give it a final wipe with mineral spirits to get anything left.
This all takes a while and is a pain. For the Caravel I think it will end up taking 15-18 hours by the time I'm done....you should also add any time laying unconscious before your wife comes out to revive you and suggests opening a window.

I got all the vinyl off with about 1.25-1.5 gallons of stripper and the adhesive remover should be about gallon or a little under. I may be off a little because I kept experimenting with quarts of this and that.

The Caravel is about 14 feet inside and remember the end cap thingies are fiberglass, which the Jasco will break down if you get a thick enough glob on it and leave it on long enough. I imagine the other strippers will do the same.

59Toaster: I have used the Stripeez for latex removal on furniture and it comes right off... No idea about the Zolatone though -that stuff is tough

This job is very messy and my Caravel is empty right now so its not so bad. if there was an interior inside it would take a lot of effort to mask it safely. If I had an Ambassador or Soveriegn, I think I would learn to love vinyl.

-Andrew
Old 03-10-2003, 04:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well as long as I can get the latex paint off is all I care about. Once it's off I'll fire up the paint gun and either redo the zolatone or I'll put down a white without all the nasty brush marks.
Hope to be ready to start on this thing after next weekend. If I can't find the part for the car there maybe a little acident involving a 5 gallons of gas and a burning car rolling out of the garage into the neigbors ditch. LOL.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 05:52 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Andrew,

You GOTTA vent the hell out of the area when dealing with those kinds of fumes.

You prob could taste it for hours afterward.

Death is permanent. Then, no camping. Take care of yourself dude! Don't do something crazy like that. If you want to kill yourself, drive your car in the garage, crack open a 6 of something good, start the car and close the garage door. Much less work!

In essence, you just did the same thing, minus the beer (as far as I can tell).

Be careful, I'd like to see you make "rivet master".

Eric
Old 03-10-2003, 07:46 PM   #27
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Another product that I'd bet would take off the adhesive is called Bestine, available at art supply stores. Works great on stuff like rubber cement and price tag residue, minimal fumes.

The best we found for removing Zolotone was Aircraft Remover, the most lethal, toxic, skin-burning, eye-irritating stuff we found. This stuff is really nasty but that's what it takes to get the Zolotone off, which is practically bullet-proof. Use extreme caution if using the Aircraft Remover. You have been warned.

Brad
Attached Images

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 09:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Aircraft Stripper

Same stuff I needed to strip our clearcoat! Really nasty stuff!!!

What about combining chemicals...that can't be good for you either! Are you at least washing down the area with water between the different passes???

I'm with Silvertwinkie, be safe!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote