Old 12-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
stripping interior end caps

the interior has been painted with latex paint over the zolatone. Originally posted this question in our thread but no responses so I thought I'd try here.

Since we're about to pull plywood, I was thinking it made sense to strip the upper panels first, so that any residue that got on the floor (soaking through paper etc) would be discarded with the old plywood.

My only concern is the end caps, which are fiberglass. I was planning on using citrastrip to take everything down to either bare metal or to the gel coat. I'm wondering if this product will damage the gel coat of the fiberglass and if so if there is a better product available for these areas. Once this messy task is done I will then start pulling floor sections out.

All lower panels will be stripped in the garage and reinstalled pre-primed ready for the Zolatone system, which I hope to be ready for late summer.

LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
the interior has been painted with latex paint over the zolatone. Originally posted this question in our thread but no responses so I thought I'd try here.

Since we're about to pull plywood, I was thinking it made sense to strip the upper panels first, so that any residue that got on the floor (soaking through paper etc) would be discarded with the old plywood.

My only concern is the end caps, which are fiberglass. I was planning on using citrastrip to take everything down to either bare metal or to the gel coat. I'm wondering if this product will damage the gel coat of the fiberglass and if so if there is a better product available for these areas. Once this messy task is done I will then start pulling floor sections out.

All lower panels will be stripped in the garage and reinstalled pre-primed ready for the Zolatone system, which I hope to be ready for late summer.

Steve.

To be safe, I would suggest sanding or sand blasting the end caps.

If you chance a chemical, you may ruin the end caps, which I am sure you know are not available.

Andy

Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Scott,

I'd be concerned about damaging the gelcoat too. If it were me I'd use mechanical means as Andy suggests. Depending on how you intend to refinish you could sand, or blast. I've used baking soda or pulverized pecan shell for delicate materials with good success. As with any untested process/application I'd proceed with caution and test on an inconspicuous area to make sure you get the results you desire.

Good Luck,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
I do not think there is a gel-coat on my prior end-caps.
Maybe I have a different idea of what a "gel-coat" is.

I would also think that a small area (inside the end-cap cabinet perhaps) could be tested with various removers. Also I would think the remover instructions would give info on its use on fiberglass.
We should all be thankful that the damn things are not made of ABS. Or are some of them?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Scott, I think it's a great idea to leave the old floors in while you strip the upper panels, ceiling, and endcaps.

As for potential damage to the endcap, others would know better than I would. But I will say that citristrip is a much milder chemical stripper than many others on the market.

Testing somewhere inside the built-in shelf sounds like a very good idea.

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Thanks guys.

the 63 doesn't have a built in cabinet, perhaps a small area in wardrobe might work. I think I'll try the sand paper first, see how well a DA does on there tomorrow before I pursue chemical work. Not sure blasting is a good option for me since the interior is coming apart in stages and that would certainly make a huge mess (not that sanding will be a "clean" process.
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Delta , BC
Napier RemovAll 620 is used to remove paint from fiberglass boats and will not harm gelcoat or fiberglass. It is also environmentally friendly. I have used the 220 to remove paint from aluminum and it works great.