Old 05-29-2006, 01:13 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
My parents, having just purchased a 1970 25', just cleaned the interior walls using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Mom said it did a great job. I'm guessing there isn't much experience on any longer term impact of using this new product, but "it did a good job".

I've got to get them to look here for research first.

"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #44
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
My parents, having just purchased a 1970 25', just cleaned the interior walls using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Mom said it did a great job. I'm guessing there isn't much experience on any longer term impact of using this new product, but "it did a good job".

I've got to get them to look here for research first.
Now you can suggest that they apply 2 coats of "Future Floor Acrylic" to the walls.

You can obtain that at most any grocery store.

Andy

Old 05-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Marine Clean, wonderful stuff! Applied a 50% solution and the wall is dry and "not siticky" (as opposed to "slick") without any significant work. But one warning. Being impatient, and just wanting to test one little spot, I sprayed it on and wiped it off with a sponge. However, the plastic tail end dome discolored a little--some areas becoming lighter and some becoming more yellow. Without doing more investigation I don't know whether I just have remaining scum or whether such a high concentration actually promoted some color change.

WARNING! I inhaled just a little bit of the mist and didn't wear gloves. The hand that did the wiping felt practically brittle within 30 minutes and I had the wheezes and coughs for a couple of hours. This stuff feels like really slick soap (reminds me of TSP) and no solvent odor, but it'll do a job on you, quick.

I'm a guy who never uses much protective gear and never needs lotion (greasy bohunk for sure). This stuff quickly made me understand what certain members of the population must feel when they "just have to use lotion." It's damn uncomfortable!
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:11 PM   #46
Mad1

1989 29' Excella
Dallas , Texas
Wal-Mart carries a product called "KrudCutter" that works well. I thought that acrylic floor wax yellows with age, am I wrong?

Steve
Old 05-29-2006, 06:37 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
If all this takes is an annual wipe down, and you have an easy way of cleaning, is the floor wax worth the work? I would also like to know (as madrone -Steve- does) if the Future will yellow over time. If so, is this really worth it?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
When I use Marine Clean I use it 5 parts water to one part cleaner. I have never had any trouble with it, but I do wear gloves when doing the inside walls and I don't breathe it in if I can help it. I don't think any of the cleaners that will take the sticky off would be any safer. I haven't had any trouble with color changes either. I used it on the pontoon boat this week-end without trouble. I think it may be that woman thing about READING THE INSTRUCTIONS that has made it work really well for me. (oops did I actually say that!!!)
Old 05-29-2006, 09:20 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Greased Lightning Does the Trick

At a fraction of the cost of POR-15's Marine Clean, Greased Lightning works like a champ! Like Marine Clean, however, you must be careful not to let it overspray and sit on any aluminum surface. I suspect that the active ingrediaent in both is Potassium Hydroxide. I have the same reaction when I suck a lungful of either.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:20 PM   #50
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Steve and Mark, that's exactly the same question I've had. Cleaning these walls is such a PITA to begin with, why on earth would you want to compound future (pun intended) problems by adding another layer of something to have to worry about?

Juel, guys do it,too. At least some of us know the value of the phrase RTFM.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Steve and Mark, that's exactly the same question I've had. Cleaning these walls is such a PITA to begin with, why on earth would you want to compound future (pun intended) problems by adding another layer of something to have to worry about?
After cleaning with Greased Lightning and NOT waxing with future. My walls stayed clean and for years. I think the "sticky" was two decades of cooking grease and nicotine.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:33 PM   #52
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
After cleaning with Greased Lightning and NOT waxing with future. My walls stayed clean and for years. I think the "sticky" was two decades of cooking grease and nicotine.
I am absolutely certain that those two items are the cause of the problems in mine. No question about it. There is a lot of debate about chemical changes in the glues/adhesives that hold the vinyl to the aluminum. That may very well be a valid problem in some circumstances, but I think for the most of us, itís not that complicated. They are simply dirty. Thanks for the advice.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:37 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
You are welcome. If you try Greased Lightning, keep it out of your eyes, don't breath it, and watch the overspray.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:36 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I agree, full strenght simple green works very well ona lot of stuff, but be careful, guys. i sprayed it on my polished alloys on my van ( very stupid of me) and it took of the shine like it was a contest.
I can only imagine what it would do to a polished airstream, or other polished aluminum surfaces, if spilled or applied by accident. Tha same goes for Castrol Super Clean, by the way.
Uwe
i agree castrol super clean is deadly near an airstream or harley polished engine case
wayne wunder ,w.b.c.c.i./v.a.c.#4287 1962 19ft globetrotter
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Juel,

could you please explain

Quote:
I think it may be that woman thing about READING THE INSTRUCTIONS that has made it work really well for me. (oops did I actually say that!!!)
the concept of "reading the instructions"? This sounds like an unnecessary step that would only slow one down in the dash to complete a task. Where does one find "instructions"? I can only assume that very few products or devices come with "instructions," since I don't recall ever seeing anything like them. If a person were a guy, would it be OK to "read the instructions" before starting a task, but once started, never refer to them? Do we need to go to www.manlaws.com and ask for guidance here? I'm sure my buddy Brian Binnie would instinctively know what to do about all this...
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Bumpity-Bump

Any new thoughts on cleaners? (Other than read the instructions, plueeze!! ) Andy's post on lights in another thread has persuaded me (shamed me into really) that I need to clean off the sticky mess.

Side note, future wax has morphed into pledge with FUTURE Shine.