Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #1

2005 19' Safari
Gallatin gateway , Montana
Angry Staining on white fabric wall covering on 2005 bambi's

Has anyone experience black stains when wall covering is simply touched on the 2005 19 ft Bambi Safari? I think it is from the aluminum contact. How do you get rid of these stains?
Kans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
I think I saw the same thing in my '02. I had some spots that needed cleaning and when I worked on it with a Bissell Li'l Green cleaner it seemed to bring out some kind of a black undertone. I thought it might be reaction of the water with glue material.

I don't know what Airstream used to affix the fabric but I suppose it was some kind of glue. It might be water soluble. Maybe someone who sees this might know more.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #3

2005 19' Safari
Gallatin gateway , Montana
Thank you. I finally got a call back from Airstream, it took a week and several calls. I was told it was aluminum dust. When it gets rubbed against that's all it takes to make a black mark. Much worse when wet. All they said was try oxyclean. They are aware but don't care at all. Typical of airstream. Very lame. A major oversight on their part.
Kans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi,

Yup, They're right. Many folks try to clean this stuff (sometimes called mousefur) with a vacuum and it pulls that aluminum dust right through the fabric. I gave up and replaced all of it with new "Hull Liner" found online for marine applications. Im very careful with the cleaning now but mostly just militant with the kids not to touch it lol.

Its just spray glued in place. Looks nice when new but really bad if someone trys to clean it with a spray bottle.

The job wasnt too bad. I used all the original pieces as a pattern. I think you can find it here under replacing mousefur.

Good luck

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"All they said was try oxyclean."

That's what I used for some greasy fingerprints, very little water and a small brush, vacuum gently. Worked well, but I wouldn't want to do a larger area!!

Bob
Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Hi,

Yup, They're right. Many folks try to clean this stuff (sometimes called mousefur) with a vacuum and it pulls that aluminum dust right through the fabric. I gave up and replaced all of it with new "Hull Liner" found online for marine applications. Im very careful with the cleaning now but mostly just militant with the kids not to touch it lol.

Its just spray glued in place. Looks nice when new but really bad if someone trys to clean it with a spray bottle.

The job wasnt too bad. I used all the original pieces as a pattern. I think you can find it here under replacing mousefur.

Good luck

Vinnie
That's a creative solution, Vinnie.

True, it's the aluminum dust coming through the fabric. Mine started shortly after we bought the trailer. When I contacted Airstream, they told me to vacuum it and clean it with upholstery cleaner (both made it worse). They then told me it was covered under the warranty, but I would have to take it to Jackson Center for repair. I was working and didn't have the time, so I began covering the spots with some glow-in-the-dark stars. They're the same color as the mouse fur during the day, but it's starting to look like the Milky Way at night.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #7

zebulon , North Carolina
has anyone replaced the "mouse fur" in their Airstream? If so what material was used and how was the skin surface prepared?

Thanks so much
einnoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
We have a '99 Safari, and have discussed installing aluminum sheets over top of the "mouse fur", but have not gotten around to doing it yet.

When we purchased it several years ago, it had nasty looking dark spots around the beds and in the living room area. I called Stanley Steamer and had them clean the walls, making certain they understood to only use the minimum amount of water necessary to do the job. It came out great -- I think only one place which looked a little discolored, and that was covered up by our new banquette we built and upholstered.

I'm not at all suggesting that anyone else have their walls cleaned this way; I am simply saying what worked for us. Others have said that they thought the "mouse fur" was just glued on, and if that is true, then if too much water was used, I suppose it could lift off and become another mess to deal with.

If we do replace ours, it will be with aluminum.

Please keep us informed as to what you use and how that went if you decide to change yours.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote