Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Morrison , Colorado
Spot cleaning or replacing mouse fur

I have black spots that appeared when I vacuumed the mouse fur. I understand this from aluminum dust. I tried all the remedies I could find for removing the spots but nothing worked - just made it worse.

Does anyone have any ideas for removing the spots, dying them to match the wall color, or know where I can buy replacement mouse fur?

Thanks
flyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Resolve carpet cleaner is my favorite. If that don't get it then you should give up. You could just recover then with some new fabric. The ones around the bed in mine are just mouse fur attached to cardboard. My valences have the same stuff stapled to the plywood backing.

With the carpet cleaner get in there and work up a lather and then blot. If the rag has gray stuff on it then you are doing some good.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
mouse fir? What you talken bout willis
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I suppose you could purchase more of the stuff from a dealer. I like your idea of dying it though. I guess the dye could be sprayed on. Seems like less of a job if it works.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Take a look at this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...tml#post739769 . My reply (I think it is #5) gives the solution which has continued to work well for us. The black is aluminum dust which is almost impossible to completely remove, particularly because it comes from the rivets behind the mouse fur.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Morrison , Colorado
Eureka! I have found the solution.

Folex worked better than anything else I tried. It took out the majority of the dark black but didn't get it all. The key is to soak the spot and then work the Folex in gently with your finger. I then used my finger like a squeegee over and over to remove most of the foam. Then I blotted the area with a dry towel.

The best solution to completely hide the spots is to have them dyed by a professional. You can find them by going to an auto dealership and contacting the used car manager. They have interior restoration pros that come aroung to their lots and dye auto interiors. Mouse fur is similar to the material used in auto headliners and the pros are very familiar to covering stains. They mix the dye to match the mouse fur and then spray it on. They will come to your house or wherever you keep your Airstream.
flyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
mouse fir? What you talken bout willis
"Imitation Mouse Fur" is a euphemism for the velour fabric used as a wall covering in some Airstreams (including my Interstate).

I'm told it's hard to keep clean; my Interstate is new enough that I haven't accumulated any stains on the mouse fur yet, but it's inevitable that I will sooner or later. Before stumbling across this thread, I had planned to use Resolve carpet cleaner on any stains that develop. Now I'm going to look into this Folex stuff.