Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
some interior work that was kind-of fun

Well, prior to attacking the painting I did accomplish some things that were somewhat fun.

I reupholstered the front gaucho. I found some nice bed-covers on sale at K-mart a few months ago. They're tan, faux-suade and kind of quilted in a square pattern. I cut them for the upholstry. The gauch sides (arm rests) came out very easy and the fabric easily attached as original - staples. I ended up pulling the upper portion of the seat out of the original cover. Essentially splitting the upper and lower portion of the seat. Much easier to maneuver. I covered the top and bottom in a slip-cover fashion, with velcro closure, so that I can wash from time-to-time. It looks nice and I really like that the seat is in two pieces now!!! If anyone wants the original upholstry --- it's intact, under the faux-suade.

I then worked on the side gaucho. Again, found a nice quilt on sale to use as fabric --- a king size white (yes, white) cotton duvet. Modern stitching. I cut a piece off to wrap the back cushion - again, slip cover style with velcro. Then I finished the remaining cover and it is about the size of a large twin. It fits nicely on the gaucho, dressed as a bed.

Then I re-screened the windows. I wanted to fix some of the fuzzies and the weatherstripping - but I forgot to order them in time for work this week. It'll have to wait for a month or so now......

I found some vinyl sheet flooring that I really like - Armstrong Natural Weave. I think it looks like 8x8 burlap tiles that are laid randomly. I worry about the difficulty cutting and laying sheet vinyl though.... and it's about $2.50/sq ft. A little more pricey than I intended - that is, if I do a straight run to avoid a seam. I'll give this more thought over the next few weeks. I think sheet vinyl is a good choice for me, especially with dogs who bring in mud (and are messy eaters/drinkers). Speaking of drink.... time for a beer. It's been a long day of painting - arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
All the effort to describe so well..only to leave one visually salivating....Pictures???

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Oh gosh - hate to leave anyone salivating! Everything is torn apart again - for the painting. Now's a good time to take photo's of the pieces-parts though. And I'll post them all soon! Hopefully it will be all put back together by COB tomorrow. Wishfull thinking? Hope not.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
All your work sounds great - any pictures.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
pics of the front gaucho

It's not in place now (removed for painting)... but here's some details of my re-work.

arm rests

sides

seat --- top portion removed from original cover and slip covered separately (back and bottom seat area now two separate pieces - much easier to maneuver)

side (bed) gaucho --- back piece upholstered separately - was concerned about not having enough material --- thus, the velcro straps

and fabric that I intend to use to replace side (bed) gaucho wall cover --- and possibly for curtains (though it's a bit of a loose weave)

Hopefully, all these parts will be back in place tomorrow evening - then I'll post final pics!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Nice job, I wish I had a gaucho to recover....

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote