Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Solution for Securing Bottom of Mini-Blinds

I have been frustrated since almost day 1 with the white plastic clips Airstream uses to secure the bottom of the mini blinds in my Safari SE (now Flying Cloud). I recently fabricated a magnetic catch once I realized the bottom rail of the blind was steel.

I used 1/2" x 1/2" aluminum angle stock (got mine at Lowes - $6 for 8 ft), some 1/4" dia nickel plated neodymium magnets from Amazon, 3M Clear Mounting tape (Walmart) and cyanoacrylate glue to bond the magnets to the aluminum rail (aka super glue). I built these using the basic tools I carry with me while traveling and installed them while staying here at Highland Haven in SW VA (hacksaw, emory cloth, wet/dry sandpaper & Dremel tool) so duplicating these shouldn't be too challenging for most folks.

The rail is attached to the bottom window frame (the mill finish piece that is screwed or riveted to the interior wall using the mounting tape to minimize any more holes in the trailer. If the tape fails to hold up over time, I will use a couple small sheet metal screws per window. The result is a 10" long aluminum rail with 3 small nickel plated magnets on top. The blind height is adjusted so the bottom rail of the blind is held by the magnets. The assemblies blend in with the aluminum window frames and only stick out 1/2" (far less than the window levers).

I will post some photos once I get them uploaded to my Zenfolio site so I can attach them.

The blinds now snap into place and stay put - far less frustration than the stretched-out plastic pieces that were OEM.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Looking forward to more info, they are a PITA.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Can't wait to see the pictures - I have the same frustration with my blinds. Sounds like a great idea that you devised.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Not only a good idea with the blinds, but could work with drapes in older models where the lower rail has disappeared. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Photos Added

Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
A simpler way

I bought rare-earth magnets and matching cups over the net from Rockler. The cup screws into the window frame and the magnet is inserted into the cup. Make darn sure all is right before inserting a magnet, because getting a magnet back out of a cup is tough. The magnets and cups come 10 to a package. The cup I use is on the right on the Rockler page.

I posted a picture of my magnets on this site, but I don't have time to hunt for it right now.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
Looks great!
Old 09-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post

Great solution khollister. I am going to order some magnets from Amazon to secure the bottom of the cellular blinds I just installed. Thanks for the great design.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
... I am going to order some magnets from Amazon to secure the bottom of the cellular blinds I just installed. Thanks for the great design ...
I just picked up a 10 pack of these magnets at Harbor Freight for $3. They are about 8mm in diameter, look like hearing aid batteries and are incredibly strong.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I just used a piece of angle steel rather than aluminum. Mine is only about 3" long, centered in the window, and the magnets stick to the steel as well as the bottom of the blind. No glue required. I used the original screws that hold the trim in place for the angle metal, so not even new holes were required. I also used the Harbor Freight magnets, which work fine. I put 3 on each piece of steel.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Brilliant!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I just did the same thing. I tried using the magnetic tape; it is not strong enough. There is a HF here, headed out to get the magnets.
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I just used a piece of angle steel rather than aluminum. Mine is only about 3" long, centered in the window, and the magnets stick to the steel as well as the bottom of the blind. No glue required. I used the original screws that hold the trim in place for the angle metal, so not even new holes were required. I also used the Harbor Freight magnets, which work fine. I put 3 on each piece of steel.
Interesting that they stick without glue. I was concerned about the L bracket since we lean against our windows in the dinette. This seems to imply I could put the magnets without glue on my window frame and then press the blind against it without the L bracket. Do y'all think this would work?

If so, simple and elegant solution that requires no drilling or glue.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Davis , California
When we bought our 2007 Safari last Christmas we were to have had new metal hold down clips for the blinds installed from the dealer to replace the already broken one or two we spotted. Needless to say they didn't install anything. (Can I simply suggest to stay away from Southwest Coaches in Riverside, CA---or is this notation not allowed?)

I found at "http://blindsusainc.com/blindsusa-hold.htm#holddowns",
the metal Hold Down Brackets Item# HD-1NZP , (pair): $2.45.

These are shiny metal, the vendor states Zinc but it looks chromed or polished stainless. And they could not fit any more perfect than they do.

If you want magnets, go for it, but we are thrilled to have these metal hold down clips.
Brightonsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightonsub View Post
When we bought our 2007 Safari last Christmas we were to have had new metal hold down clips for the blinds installed from the dealer to replace the already broken one or two we spotted. Needless to say they didn't install anything. (Can I simply suggest to stay away from Southwest Coaches in Riverside, CA---or is this notation not allowed?)

I found at "http://blindsusainc.com/blindsusa-hold.htm#holddowns",
the metal Hold Down Brackets Item# HD-1NZP , (pair): $2.45.

These are shiny metal, the vendor states Zinc but it looks chromed or polished stainless. And they could not fit any more perfect than they do.

If you want magnets, go for it, but we are thrilled to have these metal hold down clips.

Do you have any pictures? I'd like to replace our plastic tabs as well

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Davis , California
Sorry, at the moment I don't have pictures of my own, but....

if 'blindsusainc.com' forgives me for stealing their picture from the link I provided, it shows you the vendor's picture-including a ruler showing the size of the clips.

Brightonsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Thanks, I found their site

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums