Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Super job.

Looks great! Very inspirational.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Nice job! I like the fabric color and how you tied it all together!

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Folsom , California
Fabulous job Steve!!! Wasn't sure about the original blueish stripes with the tan color, but OH that geometric is so wonderful and your workmanship looks flawless!!! Kudos
JodyoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
That looks great, VERY stylish!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
It looks so classy. Beautiful!
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
VERY NICE work!

I was teaching a friend how to sew last night. I realized that I never explained exactly what a walking foot does or when you need one.

Basically most sewing puts two or more layers of fabric between between a presser foot and feed dogs. Feed dogs are those little serrated metal things that stick up from the bottom directly under the presser foot. Ideally they drag both layers of fabric forward so that when the needle comes down each time it's hitting a standard stitch length selected by you. Unfortunately all this can go 'orribly 'rong sir! The presser foot compresses the fabric to help get consistent stitches... but it's also easy for the presser foot to put drag on the top layer. If you sew a seam and one side looks puckered while the other side looks stretched - that's mostly a friction problem. Wool, knits of all kinds and pieces of fabric cut on the bias all love to stretch and the presser foot just makes it worse. The classic example is one where a seam starts off with plaids matching stripes perfectly... but within a foot or two the match starts to creep and by the bottom of the work, the plaid's stripes can be off by half an inch.

A walking foot is basically a presser foot with little nylon or metal downward facing feed dogs. The feed dogs are powered by an arm that goes over the screw that holds the needle into a shaft that goes up and down. With the pump action of this arm the top feed dogs move in sync with the bottom ones. This keeps both sides aligned perfectly.

A walking foot isn't necessary with a lot of fabrics, but it's always a handy tool to have in your arsenel. (You can always hand baste every single piece before you sew it - or you could hit yourself in the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop.)

How to know you're gonna need a walking foot:
  1. it's plaid and it isn't vinyl or interfaced with an iron on stabilizer
  2. the fabric is wool flannel plaid, with cotton flannel plaid running a close second
  3. The fabric is slick and shiny - satin, crepe back satin, any light weight knit including silk, rayon, nylon, etc. Any thing that easily stretches in your hand.
If you are sewing on the bias, or with one piece bias and the other on the grain, a walking foot isn't enough - you need to use stabilzer, or put in stay stitches or machine baste and ease the two layers together. I can SHOW you how to do an inset sleeve but I can't tell you how. Go to the internet I'm sure someone has a youtube tutorial.

BTW - fabric stabilizers - learn about them. They are essential for machine embroidery but can do SO much more. I've gone quite mad for them and no - I'm not glue sniffing!

Paula
Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Paula, that was a great and very helpful explanation!!! Thank you!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Very nice explanation! I especially like the part about hitting yourself on the head with a hammer 'cause it feels so good! I would just add that if you are trying to ease a larger piece of fabric in a seam with a smaller one, you don't want to use a walking foot. Use your regular presser foot and put the larger piece on the bottom. I have eased many quilt pieces together this way with none the wiser once I press them well.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upholstery