Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Really great and inspirational. I am waiting on a quote and I am sure it is going to be too much. I don't sew but have a friend who does, maybe we can swap out work???
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Great pictures upstateart & yve79. All fresh and new. Ready for a spring trip!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
It's time for another update. Last winter's re-reupholstery of the couch seat has been perfect. No splits, and I've trained the dog to stay down, so no scratches.

This winter I decided it was time to rid the trailer of the rest of the blue by finishing the arms and storage door on the couch as well as tackling the dinette.

Out with the old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	148462   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	148463  

Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
With the dinette removed I had perfect access to the wiring tray along the floor. I've always planned to add solar and a good battery monitor, plus the portable solar panels that I was looking at were on sale, so the project snowballed a little out of control.

I ran the wires for the TriMetric battery monitor through the wiring tray and up to the battery box where I installed the shunt and hooked up Airstream's solar pre-wire to the batteries. I also used this opportunity to run the TV wires through the wall where you can't see them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	148464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2571.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	148465  

Name:	IMG_2600.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	148466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	148467  

Old 01-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Since misery love company my wife and I just came in from pulling the last of the carpet out of our 94 Excella Classic 30'. We have all of the upholtery out as well. I hope as most veterans of this project have said the hard part (taking out the carpet) is over. We plan to go back with wood floors and and a more subdued fabric upholstery.
Jay & Marilyn
WBCCI 5866
Lousiana Acadiana Unit
Lafayette, LA
jrkeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I've never been impressed with the blinds. The wall curves outward and gravity causes the blinds to curve inward creating a big gap between the blinds and the wall which provides absolutely no privacy.

I do a lot of cold weather camping and the blinds don't provide any insulation. Using Reflectix in the windows made a huge difference so I decided that replacing the blinds with curtains would be a nice upgrade.

I ordered the curtain track hardware from Vintage Trailer Supply. A word of warning... the track extrusions were about 1 millimeter too sloppy which is all it takes to allow the slider to slip out of the track. I had to bend every track to slightly close the gap or the curtain sliders (also from Vintage Trailer Supply) would come out.

I used a fantastic product called the "Warm Window Insulated Shade System" which includes two layers of insulated batting, a foil radiant heat barrier and a vapor barrier. They should really help keep my trailer warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	148468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0503.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	148469  

Old 01-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Now, Steven, I know you have curtains, a cushion from the dinette and a pillow done!

Show some pictures, here!

(It's going to be beautiful, folks)

Maggie
Old 01-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Now, Steven, I know you have curtains, a cushion from the dinette and a pillow done!

Maggie
Oops, spoke too soon.

Carry on.

Maggie
Old 01-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

Maggie

Up until this post, all the work was done in December and last weekend. Today I started on the booth cushions. They're fairly simple compared to the couch, but there's a lot of stitching around the zippers which was new to me. It took me about four hours to complete a test pillow and the first booth cushion.

I really love the new fabric. It has a Frank Lloyd Wright feel to it and the burgundy highlight is just enough color to make it pop.

So that's where I'm at. I hope to complete another cushion or two tomorrow. Then I'll work on reupholstering the dinette base in the same Ultraleather as the couch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0524.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	148470  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Nice, Steve. This reminds me since a man is apparently sewing. I just received my mother's old cabinet Singer, upon which she made and repaired hundreds of things, including much of my camping/backpacking gear. I gotta learn how to run it. Any suggestions?
I would like to get rid of all the green tones in my Classic. The browns stay. It would be my dinette cushions, valences, dinette backs, assorted pillows in front and back. Again, suggestions?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Old Singer Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Nice, Steve. This reminds me since a man is apparently sewing. I just received my mother's old cabinet Singer, upon which she made and repaired hundreds of things, including much of my camping/backpacking gear. I gotta learn how to run it. Any suggestions?
I would like to get rid of all the green tones in my Classic. The browns stay. It would be my dinette cushions, valences, dinette backs, assorted pillows in front and back. Again, suggestions?
The machines I prefer to work on are old Singer machines. I have a few 99s, which are the 3/4 size machines and they can't be beat for upholstery and decorating projects. They're real work horses--all metal, no plastic parts. They can handle any weight or thickness of fabric, just make sure you use the correct size needle. They go forward and backward, but that's about it. I do have a zig-zag and buttonhole attachments, but they're not so easy to use. I do all of the heavy work on the 99 and then overcast the seams with zig-zag stitch on another vintage, but newer, Singer. The other advantage to the older Singers is that they were made at a time when most folks did their own repair and maintenance. I have no trouble keeping them in good working order.

As far as learning how to sew---if there is a fabric store in your area they often have classes. If not, get a copy of your machines owner's manual. The older machines usually have pretty basic manuals that should get you started. Buy some inexpensive fabric and learn to sew forward and reverse. That's what 95% of decor sewing is. And there's a wealth of instruction on line. Just Google whatever project you want to try. Start small.

It's a great time of year for an indoor project!

Sue
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Steve,

That is just awesome work. It's so cool that you are doing it yourself!! We are certain it's all going to come together and look fantastic. After this weekend, you'll have it just about all done.

Tina

PS - Regarding your sofa... "I've trained the dog to stay down" so you have no scratches... Maybe Duncan has learned to tread lightly and you just think he's not on there when you're out sight seeing or paddling. He is getting to the "mature" age for a lab you know --
Old 01-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysue925 View Post
The machines I prefer to work on are old Singer machines. I have a few 99s, which are the 3/4 size machines and they can't be beat for upholstery and decorating projects. Sue
Is the 99 a walking foot machine?

I intend to to some door panels. I believe I'll need a walking foot machine with reverse for those.

I don't have machines yet. I'm currently shopping. I did have my eye on a new portable walking foot Consew for a heavy machine. I do have space for a commercial table machine.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Is the 99 a walking foot machine?

I intend to to some door panels. I believe I'll need a walking foot machine with reverse for those.

I don't have machines yet. I'm currently shopping. I did have my eye on a new portable walking foot Consew for a heavy machine. I do have space for a commercial table machine.
No, it's not a walking foot machine. Will you be matching plaids or stripes? To my understanding that's the main reason to use a walking foot. It really doesn't have anything to do with the amount of material the machine can handle. An old 99 or 66 can handle, really, up to eight layers upholstery fabric. As I said, just needs the right needle, and heavy duty thread. They will sew leather or vinyl with no problem.

I like the 99s because they are 3/4 size and ,while heavy, are still compact enough to transport easily. Even in an airstream. There are lots of nice ones out there. If you want to know more, PM me. Don't want to hijack the thread.

Sue
Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Thanks, Sue. I just brought this home a few months ago and hadn't even looked at it. I just opened it up and it's NOT a Singer. It's a Domestic Rotory. Can't find a model # but the Manual says it's a 1947. It has a reverse, a button holer, a walking foot(if I think I know what that means....a pair of moving toothed bars in the table on either side of the ....whatever holds the needle thingy

Are you familiar and is that something to learn on?

ooops, prolly should've PMed as well, sorry.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
What great work you've done! I love the fabric choice. It does add a nice pop of color. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Great Fabric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
Up until this post, all the work was done in December and last weekend. Today I started on the booth cushions. They're fairly simple compared to the couch, but there's a lot of stitching around the zippers which was new to me. It took me about four hours to complete a test pillow and the first booth cushion.

I really love the new fabric. It has a Frank Lloyd Wright feel to it and the burgundy highlight is just enough color to make it pop.

So that's where I'm at. I hope to complete another cushion or two tomorrow. Then I'll work on reupholstering the dinette base in the same Ultraleather as the couch.
What a terrific fabric. Really pulls it all together. Well done all around!

Sue
Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
It's time to share my secret to curtain success. I set up a sweat shop in the basement and had my mom helping me with the sewing. I cut the fabric, she sewed, I attached the track clips and installed the track hardware. I'd still be working on curtains this weekend if it weren't for her help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0497.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	148527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0498.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	148528  

Old 01-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I was able to finish the dinette cushions today. Next up... reupholster the dinette bases in the same Ultraleather as the couch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	148529  
Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Looks GREAT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
I was able to finish the dinette cushions today. Next up... reupholster the dinette bases in the same Ultraleather as the couch.
What a terrific job! You--and Mom--have done a fantastic job! Seriously fantastic work!

Sue

Tags
upholstery