Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Asheville , North Carolina
Sagging Headliner

My Bambi has sagging cloth headliners as many do. I am thinking about placing a 1"wideX1/8" thick strip of alumium across the top at regular intervals,from side to side, to hold up the headliner. I think these bows, being alumium would look good and fit the contour of the ceiling nicely...I do not want to cut or remove the headliner but put the strip directly over the cloth material and attach with metal screws with caps...I am worried about electrical wires and length of screws needed. Will screwing in the screw pull the cloth or should I cut small hole for screw to go thru..Any thoughts or reccomendations would be appreciated....
bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I don't know the answer to your question. But I like your idea.

I have a vinyl headliner that has some sagging places. My future plan is to place finished oak strips similar to what you describe doing with aluminum.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
In a friend's trailer that is no longer with us (it was totaled in a wreck), the owner before him used those clear plastic flower looking things riveted to the ceiling in a geometrically symmetric pattern, and it looked good.

Sorry, I don't have a better explanation for those "clear plastic flower looking things".
Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
sagging headliner

I guess my other question would be could I use rivets? I also wonder if a cap is made for a rivet that covers the rivet along with the rivet hole making it alittle more eye appealing....I found that by pre-bending the aluminum rib, it will not take much to hold it secure. To me it really looks good up there and aluminum looks so natural.. The previous responder had a good idea with the wood grain to match the cabinets..The button screw method seems to be a matter of what one thinks looks best..I am not partial to the quilted look....
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Well, you COULD run some metal strips lengthwise and rivet them to existing ribs... or screw into the ceiling backing material...

I once had a Chevy with falling headliner which I used thumbtacks to secure... worked fine...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
metal strips

That. is exactly what I have done only I ran the strips from side to side It looks so good I almost think I would like it this way reguardless if the sagging existed. I spaced them eighteen inches apart.I used half inch aluminum strips bought at lowes and used rivets..It looks natural and also corrects the problem...thanks for all the input
Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
bearcat,
If you find the time please post some pics of the finished product.
It sounds really nice.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
ceiling ribs for sagging ceiling material

ceiling.jpg First time I had put a pic on here so its a shot in the dark...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	182207  
Old 03-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for posting the picture. I'm sure that both the aluminum or oak would achieve the same goal and look good doing it. Very good solution to the problem. The way I see it, it sure beats the heck out of trying to strip that liner off the ceiling and recovering it.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sharp! Well done! Let us know how it holds up !
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Morrison , Colorado
The mouse fur in my 2003 International is sagging in several places and I am considering trying the aluminum or wooden strips but I am not sure how to attach them. Is there a inner layer of aluminum sheeting that you can screw into without damaging anything? If so, how long should the screws be?
flyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
metal strips for sagging headliner

There is an aluminum shell under the mouse fur..Probably both rivets and screws would hold...I prefer rivets myself..When you drill the holes thru the aluminum skin just don't sink the drill bit in far. you can feel when it penetrates.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2003 22' International
Morrison , Colorado
10-4 bearcat, thanks.
flyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I replaced the headliner in my trailer and used white vinyl vertical blind vanes purchased at my local big box. I purchased two types, one which allowed me to use an insert and one that was plain. I screwed the insert one to the roof and then put the plain vane into the insert to cover the screws. The vanes are 3 1/2 wide so will hold your sagging ceiling better than narrow strips, plus you will not see them.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #15

1963 16' Bambi
1999 19' Bambi
Greenacres , Washington
Has anyone had experience poking a small hole and spraying a 3m type adhesive through a straw and adhering it back to the metal?
scoutman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
In a friend's trailer that is no longer with us (it was totaled in a wreck), the owner before him used those clear plastic flower looking things riveted to the ceiling in a geometrically symmetric pattern, and it looked good.

Sorry, I don't have a better explanation for those "clear plastic flower looking things".
Plastic flower looking things are probably Mirror Screw "etuschions" or something like that? Used to mount mirrors on doors, etc. The screw goes through the center but sort of disappears in the "flower". Not a bad Idea.

Paula
Old 07-19-2013, 02:40 AM   #17
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
No a bad idea if you want to forever screw up your Airstream.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #18
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman79 View Post
Has anyone had experience poking a small hole and spraying a 3m type adhesive through a straw and adhering it back to the metal?
The 1999 Bambi I owned had sagged and the previous owner screwed it back in place with the white flower things....and forever branded that trailer.

I removed them and used aerosol headliner glue to repair it....if it wasn't for the holes in the carpet put in by the previous owners moment of stupidity you couldn't tell the headliner/carpet had ever sagged.

There are several points of access to get the spray in such as the front and rear 'pull off' trim strips, light fixtures, vent molding....keep in mind that most of the spray headliner/contact glue will spray almost 3 feet...be careful with any over spray because it doesn't come off very easy.

Be sure and follow directions on the can, get plenty of ventilation going and wear a good mask and safety glasses.
LFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The 3M adhesive didn't work for me at all. Absolutely no effect. In mine the issue was that the vinyl was separating from its backing. I embarked on a (still unfinished) project to remove the headliner entirely and just go to bare aluminum. There's a thread around here somewhere with a couple pictures, but I still need to get some pictures of what's currently finished.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
sagginging hearliner

I followed all post on this subject for 3 years before I did anything..I never saw anything I was completely satisfied with. My understanding is that the aluminum under the ceiling carpet is not aircraft grade like the aluminum on the out side and will not shine the same. Also since it was to be covered I hear that not much care was taken to avoid unsightly blemishes...I have never heard anyone that has used spray that had lasting success...I personally hate the plastic flower screwed into the ceiling. My choice as can be seen from previouse post (pics) was aluminum strip..That was my preference and everyone has theirs...Anything added that is aluminum at least fits the airstream theme..Just my opinion..