Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Rhino Liner in bathroom

Good Morning;
Some months ago I have had a Rhino Liner done in the bed of my 2006 GMC 2500. Noticing how easy it cleans up, I wondered how it would fair on bathroom walls. After a call to Rhino Headquarters, I found out that a FDA approved coatings for potable water are available.

Because my Argosy is under very extensive amount of renovations, I want to extend the upgrades into a bathroom area as well. I do not like the original finish because of the horizontal trim, and the hundred of rivet holes 12 inches above the tub under the trim where the two panels meet. Since that is a sure place for water to enter the wall, I like to seal it. This is where the idea of Rhino Liner was born.
After contacting the local dealer, I was to meet him for study at my place on Monday, but because of my unexpected trip to Canada, it was postponed till Wednesday the 14th. He seems very knowledgeable with the product, but he insists on getting an idea what it will involve first. My concern is to seal all panel joints and eliminate the PO's happy runaway drill escapades. Second is to seal the tub to the wall without caulking it. Actually I would like the entire bathroom area sealed including the floor. During our upcoming meeting, the decision will be made on the feasibility and a value resulting from such application. Shortly thereafter I will make a report on the dealers suggestions and recommendations. Thanks "Boatdoc"

Old 11-10-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
cool idea

That's a pretty good idea. I've seen the coating on my uncles truck, but never thought about it as a bathroom coating. I think the first question my wife would ask is how easy is it to clean? I recall the coating having a texture, which with soap and stuff I wonder how easy it would be to get out of the textured areas.

Good luck, post some picures if you go that route

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Seems to me the texture would trap so much dirt and bacteria that it would be next to impossible to really clean . Bathrooms use tile, porcelain and other smooth surfaces because they are easier to clean. I think it would seal anything it was sprayed on but I don't think it would be very hygenic used in a bathroom. I have Line-X in the bed of my truck and the Rhino Liner has even more of a texture.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Rhino Liner can be applied without the texture, I think it's a great idea and due to the hard surface should clean up very nicely.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I've only seen it in black or dark grey...does it come in light colors (more suitable for interior walls) too?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I've only seen it in black or dark grey...does it come in light colors (more suitable for interior walls) too?

Shari
Available in white, clear and many automotive colors also.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Hmmm...not having a P/U I had no idea. Thanks Royce!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcru
Rhino Liner can be applied without the texture, I think it's a great idea and due to the hard surface should clean up very nicely.
I didn't know that.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Boatdoc,

Another concern would be the weight added by using Rhino Lining. That stuff is heavy.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
Seems to me the texture would trap so much dirt and bacteria that it would be next to impossible to really clean . Bathrooms use tile, porcelain and other smooth surfaces because they are easier to clean. I think it would seal anything it was sprayed on but I don't think it would be very hygenic used in a bathroom. I have Line-X in the bed of my truck and the Rhino Liner has even more of a texture.
Hey craftsman; jkru is correct, and it is something I forgot to specify. Rhino can be done in relatively smooth finish, although it will have some texture. From what I understand the hardness can be controlled as well. It can be matched to many color schemes. It is FDA approved for potable water tanks and resists bacteria growth,and can be easily cleaned. If FDA approved it for that, I will approve it as being hygienic enough for my bathroom walls. My bed liner cleans very easily with car soap and water. Line-X at first was first considered by me for the bed of my truck. After seeing one done, it felt like non-skid tape which would take your skin off if you rubbed on it. The reason I went with Rhino because even with texture it is not abrasive. I do not see why minimal texture would make cleaning difficult. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 11-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Boatdoc,

Another concern would be the weight added by using Rhino Lining. That stuff is heavy.

Bill
Hi Bill; I am not considering placing a 1/4" for coverage as in the bed of a truck. 1/8" is the most I would apply. My Arg is light due to remodel and I can easily afford extra 30 lbs. Thanks for the warning, though. "Boatdoc"
Old 11-10-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
just make sure it can stand up to the repeated flexing that the trailer body is subject to. can you have a 1' square sample done to test it?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #13
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Last month I had a liner sprayed into my new TV. I had to go back to the spray booth to get my Laptop out of the truck. The spray area looked like a scene from a Mad Max movie, that stuff was everywhere. My entire truck was wrapped in plastic except for the area they were spraying.

It would be interesting to see how they prep the inside of a trailer for a spray job. Keep us posted on this project. Maybe this would be a good solution for cracked end caps as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
When I had my truck done, the place gave me a 4x4x 1/4 piece and told me if I ripped it, the job was free. I tried everything I could, even put my foot on half and tried to stretch it to break. The guy never stopped laughing the whole time, told me he could watch customers do it all day. The stuff is super tough and very flexible. The texture is to help things to not slide around in the bed. The spray booth was heated to about 110 while it was sprayed, not sure if they do this at all shops. I was worried about the gas in the tank, but he assured me it was safe to do. The reason for the heat was to aid in the chemical reaction between the two chemicals in the material. I think it would make an excellent bathroom coating, as long as no heals or sharp objects are in there. It does cut with any sharp edges, lumber going in and out of the truck has cut it off of the high areas of the tailgate. It was money well spent I must say. Rhino liner is a BASF product and is the original. From what I have been told, the product was originally designed to be used to coat the inside fuel tanks on B52 bombers, might be sales BS, but it is a great product.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote