Old 04-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Review - CCD Dinette Cushions by Accent Upholstery

As promised, the following is a review of new dinette cushions the wife and I had made for our 28' Int'l CCD.

Teal is the devil. I thought we had left it in the 90s, but when I bought our 28' CCD, I found out otherwise.

Recently, we had some downtime with the trailer to have new curtains made (see other post) and we decided to have new cushions made for our dinette.

We found a woman named Dana who runs Accent Upholstery in Austin, Texas (contact information below). As with the curtains, we found some wicked-cool fabric at Fanny's in Austin, and went to Dana on their recommendation. At first, we thought we'd have to simplify the design of the cushions as a matter of cost. When we inquired what the cost of new cushions would be from Airstream, we were looking at over $2,000 just for the dinette.

Dana took one look at the design of the CCD dinette cushions and said not only could she do it, but that it'd be a shame not to, since the design was so unique.

So we settled on a price (which I'll be glad to share via PM), and dropped off the fabric along with the old cushions.

When we picked up the new cushions, we were absolutely blown away. The detail and construction quality was far and away better than the originals. Better zippers, neater seams, and Dana had even covered the original foam in new plastic, to make it easier to get the foam in and out of the covers.

Oh, just look at the pictures already.

--SM

Accent Antiques & Upholstery

Accent Antiques & Upholstery
2200 S. Lamar Austin, TX 78704
512-441-6656
accentupholstery(at)hotmail{dot}com

Old 04-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
Holy cow. That looks FANTASTIC.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Northern New England
Those look awesome! I imagine many will be beating a path to your talented seamstress's door. $2,000 at the factory???
Old 04-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
What can I say, but…yeah, they look freakin' sweet!

The combination of Tammy's (Silver Threads) curtains with Dana's cushions makes the trailer look the way it should have looked when it came out of the factory.

--SM
Old 08-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Love the look! SWEET
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
They look great. How has anyone solved the problem of the uncomfortable sofa cushions in the CCD/
Old 08-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #7

2007 28' International CCD
Aransas Pass , Texas
Drapes and Cushions

I have the identical Airstream, but being that I live in Aransas Pass, no one here has any sewing skills. Any additional info on cost and personal contacts you can pass on would be appreciated. While my couch seats have not been used heavily, it is the wrinkles, etc. that make them look like I have lived in the unit. My wife has talked about drape replacement ever since we first got the Airstream. Yours looks great. Thanks in advance.
Wayne Currie
Old 08-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I was raised by a perfectionist mom - and taught to sew at a very early age. Those cushions would have satisfied HER... no they would have delighted her... and NOTHING ever delighted her.

The strips match perfectly, even the end pieces were cut out of the same width stripe, and the stitch quality - excellent. You don't know how hard getting those little round ends in and keeping them ROUND can be.

PERFECT, Magnifico!

A big Wooo-Hoooo to your seamstress.

Now go to Colonial Airstream's website and look at their used 28 CCD. Excellent workmanship, but all the charm of an aircraft carrier. Haze gray fake leather - bleah.

Paula
Old 08-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas

Thanks for all the positives! Dana at Accent Upholstery really did an amazing job on the cushions, as did Silver Threads on the curtains.

Anyone who wants to contact Dana can see the first post in this thread. All of the contact information is there.

Sofa cushions may be next on the list to tackle, but that may not happen for a while yet.

Cheers!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow! That looks sweet!

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #11

2007 25' International CCD
Magnolia , Texas
TV mount

Hey guys. I have been wanting to get a bigger TV for my Airstream. How did you go about removing the box from the wall that resides beside the TV? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
sofa cushions too soft without springs beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
They look great. How has anyone solved the problem of the uncomfortable sofa cushions in the CCD/
Jack,
We're with you on sofa cushions question -- only good thing about CCD sofa cushions is ya hafta frequently get up and get circulation going again. So not the kinda sofa to create couch potatoes.

Two sets of friends have replaced their sofa cushions with higher density foam and both are thrilled with the results. It's on our list but we're probably gonna wait until we settle for beginning of next winter to do it.

By then we'll probably be due for replacing our cushion covers too, and after seeing this dinette workmanship we know who we'll ask about these.

Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
Jack,
We're with you on sofa cushions question.

Two sets of friends have replaced their sofa cushions with higher density foam and both are thrilled with the results.
Jim
You can add us to the list of happy camper who replaced the foam when we had new covers made. When we took our cushions in, the guy said he couldn't believe they put that cheap of foam in Airstreams. Made a huge difference, and our 6' 175lb teenage sons say it's very nice to sleep on when they go.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Cheap foam

Yeah, the factory foam is cheap -- our mattress died after less than 400 nights, a mere 200 weekends for some Airstreamers.

We bought a real mattress custom cut for the corner bed and life is better all night long.

So we're looking fwd to real sofa cushions some day, too. Funny, it's probably just like when you finally retire your old dogs and buy new tennis shoes and you think, "Man, if I'd known the old ones were that bad I woulda changed a long time ago!" We should get our sofa cushions replaced now.

Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote