Old 03-08-2003, 11:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy reupholstering cushions

I just received a bid for having all three cushions on my 67 22' Safari reupolstered and am floored at the price. I received a quote of around $1600 for foam and new material. This lady had figured on 6" foam since that was what was in there when we bought it. After talking with her we decided that she is going to change the cushions to 4" and get a new bid for the foam which should make my cost around the 1600 figure. Has anyone had their cushions recovered with or without foam? I REALLY DON'T want to spend that much money but I need cushions. Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 03-08-2003, 01:55 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
OUCH! I never thought it would cost that much either. Any other games in town to compare?

What about going to a fabric store like Minnesota Fabrics, or something and seeing if you could find the foam and the material so that you'd only have to pay labor?

Eric

Old 03-08-2003, 07:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We are having our gaucho reupolstered, reusing old foam, we supply the material, about $45 at Jo-Ann Fabrics. Quoted $245 to do the job.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 08:27 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

We are currently in the process of having our sofa (including the arms, pull-out drawer front, and "L"-shaped panels on each side of the sofa) reupholstered in top grain leather. We have a 2000 Excella, 25'. I'm almost ashamed to tell you how much it is costing: $2,040, including tax. I simply love the feel and smell of leather, so I am willing to do it, but it is expensive. By far the greatest part of the cost is for the leather, itself.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We have had one gaucho's foam and upholstery done. There are different qualities of foam, ours was 6" thick, high density towards the top of the line. It was $380 for the fabric (yikes!!! I have expensive taste ) and $434 for the labor and foam. Be careful with the 4" foam, if the foam is too thin or soft, you will "bottom out" on the bed...

We have already purchased the fabric to do the dinette once it is built (this spring) and expect the labor & foam to be about the same or a little more.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty | 1946 Curtis Wright Model 2
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 09:54 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Marks,

For some reason I never considered leather. What a great idea!

Also I was kind of thinking that about the 4" foam, but was thinking I was just being a freak.

Eric
Old 03-09-2003, 04:17 AM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
leather

eric,

having pets, we have found leather is the only way to go in our home.

some day i may do our sofa in the trailer. the cost would be high, but what the heck, it is the only non mobile seating in the trailer. might as well go top of the line.

marks, we would love to see some photos! (welcome to the forum!)

now, if i only had a bambi i could use all those deer hides i have for a project!

john
Old 03-09-2003, 04:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud
Cool OMG

marks,
welcome to the forum~!!
I, also love the feel and smell of leather~!!
In fact, I've been toying with the idea of, how to sneak my leather chairs in the house into the A/S without my wife noticing it..lmao
One additional thought..I've been thinking of replacing the cloth covering on the bedroom/living room walls with leather`!! (next thing is mirrors on the ceiling..lol)
Ride'em cowboy~!!
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:26 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
John,

I agree, however, my pets can be willful at times. I am not sure if I bought leather for the house, it would last 10 years. I am sure something would happen.

The Bambi doesn't really have much to cover in leather except for the front dinette, but given what this thing cost me, I might take you up on your deerskin option!

Good luck getting it by the wife cloud. Go with it if you can!

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-09-2003, 09:23 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the good advice. I am going to get another bid or two if possible. My problem is the time frame as well. The lady I have the bid from is 4 weeks out for completion of the cushions and we are getting close to spring and as this is our first trailer, we are itching to get camping! I can sew myself but don't think this is something I would want to try for the simple reason that my schedule doesn't allow for much free time. Some of you replied about leather and animals and I will admit I picked what I think is a pretty high quality fabric, which alone is $40/yard, because of my dog (who shouldn't be on the couch but he's a bit spoiled and doesn't realize he's a dog I am definately going to take the 4" foam vs 6" foam into serious consideration. One of the reasons we decided on a trailer is because we are getting too old for tent sleeping! If I break it down for the 3 couches, with 6" foam is $650 each and 4" is $533 each so really $120 additional is not much for comfort. I have plenty to think about. Hopefully I can find a cheaper bid, I have left messages for 2 more upolstery shops. Thanks again to all who replied.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:18 AM   #11
uwe

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Lana,

You might try www.knoxfoam.com
They have a great quality 6" foam that Irecently orderedfrom them. They cut it to the exact size you need, and even fabricate zippered slipcovers to go underneath your upfolstery fabric to protect the foam from odors etc.
Theyhave several grades, and they will give you an exact estimate when you write to them or call there.
Good luck!
http://www.knoxfoam.com
Old 03-09-2003, 01:26 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, I will fax them my dimensions and get a quote from them. I am seriously thinking about undertaking this project myself. I am going to do a little research and see if I can figure out how to make the cushions and talk it over with my mother who is pretty good at sewing and if she thinks we can do it, I will go for it.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:54 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That knoxfoam place is pretty cool. They even have sound insulating foams!

Yet another bookmark to add!

Eric
Old 03-10-2003, 09:38 AM   #14
uwe

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Lana,

Making the cushions is not very difficult, as long as you have the old cushions for patterns and use the same size foam. You can disassemble the old cushions covers and use them for templates to make new patterns for sewing.
My advice is to use the highest grade foam from knox, if yu decide to go with them. Their highest grade is still a bit softer than what came in my trailer. Which is perfect for people to sleep on, and not too soft for sitting on.

Eric,
Their sound foam is very good, but not UV resistant. It will not disintegrate, but it will loose it's grey color and turn into a brownish light grey shade. It does an amazing job of attenuating ambient resonant noise, like reverb in large rooms etc.