Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
We are using original foam seems fine, to redo the couch and side dinette with piping or cording one estimate is 500. Now another fellow quoted 250? But we dropped the cushions off at the first man. Fabric on order from www.winterbeachmodern.com
she has designer fabrics for a fraction of the cost you would pay elsewhere. so many decisions. I hope my 500 is a good job! shop around and ask for photos of previous work. Good luck! We want to get our gal on the road asap.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Reupholstered my last trailer - front couch and rear twin pullout. It seems to me that I paid quite a bit for the foam but sewed the covers myself with durable material from wal-mart. Used muslin on sale to protect the foam and reused the zippers. Used a standard home machine and incorporated beading. I think Knoxfoam is probably cheaper with a lot less work but can't view the fabric in person. If your energetic and want to save money, look around and get the foam cheap, sew the covers and curtains using the old ones as a pattern. It was satisfying and I beleive cheaper if you have the time.

I do agree with getting foam that is firmer than you think for sleeping and sitting. I am leaning toward a standard mattress with a topper for comfort in my rear bedroom double. I am hoping to convert to a queen and just clean the covers on my present trailer. I lucked out when I bought this one, PO really took good care.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I purchased a single 4" mattress and was able to look through fabric remnants from their commercial projects and came up with top-quality cover material left over from a church pew cushion job... FOR FREE. I actually had a blast sewing it myself, added a cotton liner slip over the foam and sewed in a huge zipper, used Kevlar or something like it thread.. Ended up looking a little homey but the point is getting material for free makes it that much more comfortable
Old 11-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
We're doing our bed and dinette seats now and found good and inexpensive foam at The Foam Factory; www.thefoamfactory.com/. They have various grades to choose from, all priced accordingly; and they also do custom sizes. We bought our fabric at Joann's fabrics and we are making the covers.

AIR #25767
timkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
What does the muslin do in between the foam and the covers?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:31 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Man, I can not afford what they quoted you...!!!! I removed upholstery from my gaucho and made a pattern from the material that I removed and used a simple sewing machine to replace what was needed...I did the same with my curtains and used small strips of elastic with the existing plastic attachments...It saved me boo coos of money and it was not hard to do at all....In fact, I am moving my Airstream home next week and will post photos of it all....Granted leather is nice, but with our budget, it is better to go the cheapest way with as great of a result as the most expensive....
My husband and I want to install 'Pergo' type of flooring...Can anyone assist me with advice on rounding the corners, ect., ?????? I will have to do this myself as my husband works long hours...
Old 11-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I was going to start a thread, but this one seems a fitting place to ask... How many yards of fabric to do a 62 guacho? It is the face of the pull out base, the seat/ back, and two arms.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
I just removed all the upholstered parts on our '87 and am looking to use leather, leatherette, or ultra-leather for the re-upholstering. We like the ultra-leather that is in our '06, which has held up good against our beagle and our daughter's pug.

It is hunting season here in PA and everything stops. So I will probably not get any further with the re-upholster until after the new year. I cringe to think what it is going to cost us to re-upholster the '87 as neither my wife or I can do that sort of thing.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
What does the muslin do in between the foam and the covers?
Having a liner under the outer fabric keeps the foam from grabbing the material and bunching up, turning up mattress corners over the long term but also solves the wear and comfort issues, like not grinding the foam by friction or setting up a trough from body weight not easily 'rolled' away from. The Muslin just lets the outer shell it be a 'slip' covering....
Old 11-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks for information. Our cushions don't have anything between and I am also thinking of eventually trying a cover. It sounds like that would be a real benefit to add and perhaps be a good practice pattern. I know the covers shift around terribly from the edge seams as we pull the fabric forward from sitting on them.

How do you keep the cushions in place? Are they loose laid or are they affixed in some way? With so many pieces in the FB they shoot all around. One of my cushions has a velcro strip sewed onto it but there is no velcro on the bases or the other cushions. I was thinking of using the industrial self adhesive velcro on the bases and possibly the bottoms of the cushions that are not reversible as the contour shapes. Sewing the velcro on seems like a bigger deal but perhaps the better solution? Does anyone use elastic and a hook at the rear as some couches do?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
juno beach , Florida
If anyone has any thoughts on how to sew together the two pillows that make the bed on my 18' caravel???

Thanks.
markdubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:01 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

I just reupholstered my cushions and came across gray vinyl like they use school buses. Looks kinda like leather but a lot more practical and durable. I have some leftovers for sale. I bought a huge roll. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473393697.739945.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	271283
HeikeET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:01 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Dinette cushion covers for 19' bambi

These will probably not work for your cushion needs. But I have a set of original fabric cushion covers for all later model 19' trailers including safaris, Bambi's, And flying clouds. Any trailer with the same front dinette layout. These are in excellent condition with no visible wear. The foam is not included but is the standard foam which I believe is 4". They are listed on the parts for sale in classifieds for 450.00. With pictures. We just changed our decorating color scheme and the fabric and labor was $1000.00. Call me with any questions you may have. I will guarantee them to fit and be as described. This is a great set for the price. New ultra leather from AS is 1643.00 plus shipping and tax.
Thanks,
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Knoxville , Tennessee
Another place to see if you're local to Knoxville TN is https://www.foamrubberandfabricoutlet.com/
I've done a lot of business with them and they have great service.
mshumer995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Recently I read where someone (vendor) had the patterns for most Air Stream cushions. I am looking for the contact information; help !
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshumer995 View Post
Another place to see if you're local to Knoxville TN is https://www.foamrubberandfabricoutlet.com/
We got all new cushion foam from the foam outlet in Tennessee. Took in the cushions, they replaced w new top grade, wrapped w Dacron and put the new back into covers. Great job, in 2 hours.
Had the covers done by local upholsterer. She just took the covers and made patterns from them.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshumer995 View Post
We got all new cushion foam from the foam outlet in Tennessee. Took in the cushions, they replaced w new top grade, wrapped w Dacron and put the new back into covers. 9 cushions. Great job, in 2 hours.
Had the covers done by local upholsterer. She just took the covers and made patterns from them.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Corona , CA
We had our Dinette cushions seat and back done in marine grade material for $500.00 with beautiful tucking done. They covered over the original foam. We took them to a auto/boat upholstry service. Love them.
Uke player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
Question....is it not possible to just order replacement foam for a specific cushion from AS by part number? Or are they too pricy...we already have protective covers but years of sitting creates a butt divot in the foam that I hate. Of course it's the one at the back with a rounded corner so I'd like to forego cutting or taking it somewhere for duplication.
Thanks!
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriebele View Post
Question....is it not possible to just order replacement foam for a specific cushion from AS by part number? Or are they too pricy...we already have protective covers but years of sitting creates a butt divot in the foam that I hate. Of course it's the one at the back with a rounded corner so I'd like to forego cutting or taking it somewhere for duplication.
Thanks!
There is a great place, "Fabric and Foam" to get foam in Fletcher NC. We had all of our cushion foam replaced there and several of our friends have been happy with them. Just take in your cushion and they will remove the cover, make a new foam insert w a Dacron wrap and put the cover back on. They have several qualities of foam. We opted for the best one. Had ours done a few years ago and they are still perfect.