Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1963 16' Bambi
1971 21' Globetrotter
Marbletown , New York
Respirators

I'm refinishing the bathroom on my A/S. I need a new respirator to protect me from the fiberglass, plastic dust as well as the epoxy finish I'll be applying. I've had a few in the past and have used the double canister type. I can't afford a full face one. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Stone Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Ridge
I'm refinishing the bathroom on my A/S. I need a new respirator to protect me from the fiberglass, plastic dust as well as the epoxy finish I'll be applying. I've had a few in the past and have used the double canister type. I can't afford a full face one. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Fiberglass and dust can be stopped (mostly) by realtively in-expensive dust masks. To stop epoxy fumes you will need and in-organic resperator. Lowes has "full" face respirators are under $40. If you cannot afford that borrow one. Epoxy fumes can be permanently damaging to your mental health.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
Hello Stone Ridge

I've had good luck with the cannister type mask made by 3M with the filters for organic materials. As I remember the cost is in the $30 to $40 range and the filters and pre filters are replaceable. I use the mask for just about everything, including grass cutting and parts washing. The mask has been with me for many years.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've used a 2-canister paint spray respirator for years. They are surprisingly comfortable in warm weather. They can be adapted to fit most anybody without a beard. I have seen small 3M masks online but couldn't get a petite friend to actually order one and put it through its paces. I find it amazing how completely all odors and fumes are stopped by the organic filters.

Over 35 years in healthcare tells me that there is no fiber mask that will keep particulates out of your respiratory passages.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Head to a good farm supply store. They should be able to fix you up with a reasonably priced cartridge respirator that will protect against against vapors and particulates. Gotta protect yourself, new lungs are hard to come by.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I would get a double cannister NIOSH rated mask. I have worn one for 33+ years of making jewelry (silica dust for casting) and they work well.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1963 16' Bambi
1971 21' Globetrotter
Marbletown , New York
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'll get something that will accept both organic and inorganic cannisters. I always had pretty good luck with 3M fitting my face (i have a beard). I used a Di Villbis respirator for lacquering and a 3M for sanding wood. They were both the canister types but so old I now can't read the type of airbourn they are/were supposed to filter out. They are so old now that the rubber, or plastic, is cracking from age, (I guess a little like me). Again, thanks for the help.
Stone Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
Alumaholic

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ohio
I looked on ebay quickly and found several repirators, full face and otherwise that would take a variety of filters. One that stood out was a 3M 6800 series and I think the buy it now price was about $45.00 or so. I would recommend a full face resp. as fumes/ chemicals can also be absorbed through the eyes. I think one would be a good investment in your health but ensure you can get the correct cartridges for the respective chemicals. 3M and MSA are both brands that cover many chems. and also support their older equipment longer than some other brands. I use a 3M respirators at my job and used one when I removed the underbelly, tar paper, insulation, mud, mouse poo, snake skins , etc, from the bottm of my Spartan. I was quite glad I did as I have asthma/ allergies and when done could breathe like normal as opposed to sneezin & wheezin & eyes itchin etc. I can borrow mine from work when reqd. but I wouldn't hesitate to spend $100
for one. Consider what doctors visits, meds, etc cost and it's a small investment. As said before new lungs are tough to find.

Brad
campernut64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:44 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
when you buy a mask, write the date on the filter with a sharpie. The carbon in the filter can only absorb so much solvent before it stops doing what it is supposed to do. I change mine every six months without fail. Another thing, put the mask in a zip lock bag when not in use, the carbon in the filter does not turn off when you take it off, it continues to absorb the chemicals in the air. And a final note, if you have a beard or if you smell anything, you do not have a proper seal.

A respirator is something you should not skimp on. You should forgo having wine with dinner or get coffee at 7-11 instead of Starbucks until you have saved the few bucks a good mask costs.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote